DSK

Default Affording Fuel

jps wrote:
I certainly wouldn't purchase another boat without considering all
options, including defecting to rag boating.

I wouldn't want to discourage anybody from considering sail,
but for the most part it's not really any cheaper unless you
are going a long way.

That's one area that diesel inboards shine, fuel efficiency per ton/mph.
Planing is still a very inefficient to carry loads though.

Note- there are some boats with fuel consumptions that are flat at high
speeds, or even drop a little ie- they get better MPG near WOT than at
"cruise" speeds. But they get better mileage yet at slow displacement
speeds.

Forgot to add, all the boats that have this 'best mileage at
higher speed' characteristic are all *light* and beamy. A
deep-vee hull is very rarely (if ever... I'm tempted to say
never) going to achieve this.

DSK