Default Bayliner 185

Hi folks,

My wife and I went around looking at boats today. Was wonder what ya
all feel about the Bayliner 185 ? We were quoted a price $15000. With
taxes, ppep, freight, etc, the total is $16057.50. This is for the
Bayliner 185 w/ bikini top and coast guard package. Does this price
sound reasonable?

For the Bayliner 175 w/ bikini top and coast guard package the price
is $12,000. With taxes, ppep, freight, etc, the total is $12870.00.

Do you think the Bayliner 185 is worth $3217.50 more than the Bayliner
175?

This is our first boat purchase. We would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
JC
Jim Rojas

Bayliner makes the worst boats in the world. They are the "YUGO" of boat
builders. They use the cheapest materials, have very thin hulls...real
garbage.

Please shop around. I recommend Mako, Proline, Boston Whaler, Chris Craft,
etc. Being it's your first boat, why not get a great $5000 used one before
you commit to a higher ticket item? This way if you lose interest (most
people do), you can expect to get at least half your investment back if you
sell it.

Jim Rojas

wrote in message
Hi folks,

My wife and I went around looking at boats today. Was wonder what ya
all feel about the Bayliner 185 ? We were quoted a price $15000. With
taxes, ppep, freight, etc, the total is $16057.50. This is for the
Bayliner 185 w/ bikini top and coast guard package. Does this price
sound reasonable?

For the Bayliner 175 w/ bikini top and coast guard package the price
is $12,000. With taxes, ppep, freight, etc, the total is $12870.00.

Do you think the Bayliner 185 is worth $3217.50 more than the Bayliner
175?

This is our first boat purchase. We would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
JC

William G. Andersen

Absolute horsecrap.
Bayliner makes a great entry level boat.
Glastron also has a low priced model.
A lot of people think you should buy a used boat - I wonder if they buy used
cars.
The advantage of buying new is that you have a warranty and you can take
care of the boat. Buying used, you might be buying someone else's trashed
boat.
If you've no clue what you want and are likely to want a different boat in a
year or two, you are probably better off buying used and avoiding the
depreciation on a new boat.
As for the size of boat - if it's just the two of you on calm days, a 17'
boat's good. A bigger boat gives you a little more space to move around and
will handle choppy water a little bit better.
I'm prejudiced. I bought my 1998 19' Bayliner bowrider new for less than
$10,000. I use it at least two days a week, year round, in salt water. The
lowest price I could find for any other boats was about $14,000, and there
wasn't any significant difference. Oh, there was a difference: my Bayliner
included a galvanized trailer - the others came with painted trailers.

wrote in message
Hi folks,

My wife and I went around looking at boats today. Was wonder what ya
all feel about the Bayliner 185 ? We were quoted a price $15000. With
taxes, ppep, freight, etc, the total is $16057.50. This is for the
Bayliner 185 w/ bikini top and coast guard package. Does this price
sound reasonable?

For the Bayliner 175 w/ bikini top and coast guard package the price
is $12,000. With taxes, ppep, freight, etc, the total is $12870.00.

Do you think the Bayliner 185 is worth $3217.50 more than the Bayliner
175?

This is our first boat purchase. We would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
JC

Jim Rojas

Don't take my word for it...ask around. I have replaced floorboards,
stringers, transoms, and even complete interiors on many Bayliners. Their
problem is that Bayliner takes too many short cuts. Their hulls are 1/4 inch
thick at best, and their transoms are prone to rotting out rather quickly.
They use cheap lumber in their stringers. The floorboards are 3/8 thick
plywood, which will crack over time just by walking on it. The instrument
cluster is a cheap looking as you can get. As long as you keep your Bayliner
in freshwater only and properly covered against the elements, it should last
a long time, otherwise you have been forewarned.

Jim Rojas

wrote in message
Hi folks,

My wife and I went around looking at boats today. Was wonder what ya
all feel about the Bayliner 185 ? We were quoted a price $15000. With
taxes, ppep, freight, etc, the total is $16057.50. This is for the
Bayliner 185 w/ bikini top and coast guard package. Does this price
sound reasonable?

For the Bayliner 175 w/ bikini top and coast guard package the price
is $12,000. With taxes, ppep, freight, etc, the total is $12870.00.

Do you think the Bayliner 185 is worth $3217.50 more than the Bayliner
175?

This is our first boat purchase. We would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
JC

Tan PS

I am bought a used Bayliner a few months back. It was from the first owner
whom I understand is quite fastidious about it.

As a boat, I can't find a better value boat at the price I paid. It gave me
the extra space I wanted and is of a configuration that suited me. A
'better built' boat I can see is at a much higher price and is somewhat
beyond my practical reach. Like cars, if buy a premium model you get to see
a higher resale, don't forget you've paid more in the first place. If you
examine it carefully, the returns are lesser, boats fare much worse.

Buyig new or used is something else. This has nothing to do with Bayliners
or any boat brands, it just used stuff, you cannot expect clean use without
having to iron out of the bugs. With a used boat this may just well turn
you off before you ever reach the enjoyment part.

In my case, I had it in Nov last year, it been coughing up repair after
repair every weekend, all on the engine and sterndrive, none required on the
hull. This is a Mercruiser product not Bayliner.

Fortunately, I was able to do all the repairs, so its parts cost and my
time. Getting a mech would have set me back, big time. I believe I've just
cleaned up the last. Only old things left are the other cylinder head,
carb, lower gear and main engine block, sure hope they hold, my banks about
done and wife and kids are giving me no end on this and suggesttions on 1001
other uses for Mercruisers are free flowing.

Take the boat out for a ride, run it over wakes, waves, chops. See how it
handles. Do you like the all round visibility, enough shade, tank size
(range). Brand conciousness is a big ticket. Better to have leftover cash
to buy fuel and go than sitting at the docks.

Enjoy!

wrote in message
Hi folks,

My wife and I went around looking at boats today. Was wonder what ya
all feel about the Bayliner 185 ? We were quoted a price $15000. With
taxes, ppep, freight, etc, the total is $16057.50. This is for the
Bayliner 185 w/ bikini top and coast guard package. Does this price
sound reasonable?

For the Bayliner 175 w/ bikini top and coast guard package the price
is $12,000. With taxes, ppep, freight, etc, the total is $12870.00.

Do you think the Bayliner 185 is worth $3217.50 more than the Bayliner
175?

This is our first boat purchase. We would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
JC

Joseph A. Rich

I bought a 1 1/2 season used 2000 19' Bayliner Capri from our local Marina 3
seasons ago. Other than basic maintenance it's been a great boat (my first
with a motor!) There are many Bayliner bashers out there, but for a good
first all-around boat it serves my purposes well. I think that the price
you've been quoted is a bit high though. I got my boat, with basically a new
trailer along with a lift with a brand new cover for $13K. Since I bought it
locally, I knew what I was getting. Oh, I've only used it freshwater.

No matter what the other folks say, if you take good care of your boat - no
matter what brand you get, it will serve you well. Routine maintenance -
winterize/summerize, frequent cleaning, frequent checking on loose screws,
bolts, etc.

Have a great time with whatever you get.

Best in boating,
Joe

wrote in message
Hi folks,

My wife and I went around looking at boats today. Was wonder what ya
all feel about the Bayliner 185 ? We were quoted a price $15000. With
taxes, ppep, freight, etc, the total is $16057.50. This is for the
Bayliner 185 w/ bikini top and coast guard package. Does this price
sound reasonable?

For the Bayliner 175 w/ bikini top and coast guard package the price
is $12,000. With taxes, ppep, freight, etc, the total is $12870.00.

Do you think the Bayliner 185 is worth $3217.50 more than the Bayliner
175?

This is our first boat purchase. We would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
JC

Gould 0738

Don't take my word for it...ask around. I have replaced floorboards,
stringers, transoms, and even complete interiors on many Bayliners.

The floorboards are 3/8 thick
plywood, which will crack over time just by walking on it. The instrument
cluster is a cheap looking as you can get. As long as you keep your Bayliner
in freshwater only and properly covered against the elements, it should last

We're talking about a guy considering a brand new boat here, not somebody out
to ressurrect a wasted boat bought for $1000 someplace.

Visit any busy boatyard, and you will see people replacing transoms, stringers,
and complete interiors on a wide variety of boats built by different
manufacturers. More Bayliners than other boats in the boatyard? May have
something to do with the fact there are more Bayliners sold. On any given day,
there are more Toyotas being repaired than there are Isuzus...does that make
Toyota an inferior car? If requiring eventual repair is a reason not to buy a
boat, nobobdy should ever buy any brand of boat built by anybody.

You examples are extreme, prejudicial, and in a few cases not acurate. Will a
"cheap looking" instrument cluster sink the boat? The vast majority of
Bayliners do not have plywood floors, and have not had plywood floors for many,
many years. The Capri series (two cheapest boats) still had plywood floors last
time I checked, everything else was FRP. It's just wrong to
generally characterize the entire product line as having "plywood floors" based
on the construction of the cheapest, price point product.

Name a boat that can be exposed to the elements continuously without some
damage. You make that sound as if it's a Bayliner deficiency. Yup, abuse
anything and it will suffer.

And finally, sal****er does not cause a boat to dissolve, regardless of what
folks putting around the reservoir in South Dakota might conclude.

Jim Rojas

I do agree that Bayliners have improved...but I put older 80-94 Bayliners in
the same class as a Ford Pinto...and we all know what the 70's did to
American Car Manufacturers...All kidding aside, the newer 95+ Bayliners are
much better.

I have a beautiful 1987 Capri that basically fell apart no matter how good I
took care of it. After I completely gutted the boat 8 years ago, and used
better materials, I now have no more problems with the boat. I also own an
old 1976 freeform trihull...This boat has seen nothing but salt water all
its life, and has all the original stringers, and transom. I just recently
replaced the floorboards after 20+ years of service. The 3 inch thick
transom is still solid to this day.

One thing I did notice is that older Bayliners were only treated on one side
of the floorboards, plus excess water had no way of escaping, due to the
poor layout of the floation foam. This is why the boat rotted out so
quickly. I redesigned the boat to allow it to be completely submerged, then
allowing any water below the floorboards to easily make its way out, so the
boat can air dry quickly.

Jim Rojas

wrote in message
[...]

Camilo

wrote in message
Hi folks,

My wife and I went around looking at boats today. Was wonder what ya
all feel about the Bayliner 185 ? We were quoted a price $15000. With
taxes, ppep, freight, etc, the total is $16057.50. This is for the
Bayliner 185 w/ bikini top and coast guard package. Does this price
sound reasonable?

For the Bayliner 175 w/ bikini top and coast guard package the price
is $12,000. With taxes, ppep, freight, etc, the total is $12870.00.

Do you think the Bayliner 185 is worth $3217.50 more than the Bayliner
175?

This is our first boat purchase. We would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
JC

A few comments, JC, after having read some of the replies so far.

First, it's Bimini, not Bikini top 8-). I like both though.

Next: take any Bayliner bashing you read on this board for a grain of salt.
Although I've never owned one, I've spent a lot of time on Bayliners - both
small lake type runabouts and larger "cabin cruiser" type boats. They are
neither the best nor most expensive boat in the world. The "Yugo"
comparison may or may not be accurate. I prefer to say they are a Chevy or
Ford in comparison to another boat's Lexus or Benz. Absolutely nothing
wrong with them, considering the intended use and especially affordability.
They are also not the worst boat in the world (which the Yugo comment
implies).. The folks I know who own them love them and have really had a
lot of fun with them. This is not to say they might better enjoy the higher
end brands - but again, compare it to the nicely equipped Chevy vs. the
Lexus. Either or both can give you everything you need. Whatever you can
afford, you'll use and enjoy, and may or may NOT aspire to something higher
end. My mantra is "Whatever gets you on the water!"

People who point out to you that Bayliners are not the best quality but a
good value at the price and very servicable boats are the ones who you
should listen to. They can help you to figure out what is and is worth
spending money on and what you can afford or must afford.. The ones who
make broad statements about "all Bayliners being crap" or some such thing
are as worth listening to as anyone who makes such broad statements about
ANYthing, if you know what I mean. They really need to get a life.

Second, regarding the used vs. new idea. This is definitely something to
think about. I've always been a used boat buyer because (1) I can't (or
more accurately - won't) spend the money it would take to get the boat I
need new. (2) I actually like the search for "the" used boat and (3) don't
really mind tinkering. There's a lot to think about in that if you're new
to boating, your might either just not get into it, or more likely, have
changing needs within a couple of years. Financially, the used route may
make more sense, if the stars alighn properly. It's similar to the game of
used vs. new cars.

But, with a used boat, it really does take some serious hunting to find a
suitable boat. That said, there are definitely a LOT of super excellent,
hardly used, like new boats out there - especially in the "starter boat"
categories. But there are also a lot of hidden problems out there. You
have to be into the game of knowing the difference and finding it. Among
the really used, but still good deals for a cheap price, there's a lot of
those too, but you have to enjoy tinkering to get them into the shape you
need them, and not be ashamed of running a boat that is a good deal rather
than a good looker.

This time of year, you should think about time though. If you have the
bucks, don't mind spending it, and don't want to spend a good portion of
this season hunting for a good used boat, look at new ones with a good
conscience. It is the quicker way to get on the water, and with good dealer
support, is often or even usually the most care free.

Regarding this: new boats can have their problems and it can be said that
the "right" used boat (broken in, well cared for, but little used) might
actually have more bugs worked out, and therefore have less initital
problems. But a new boat bought from a supportive dealer will mitigate that
almost completely.

Finally, it sounded from your post like you were just starting the journey.
I strongly advise you to look at a LOT of boats and dealers - at least take
a couple of weeks - to find out what the options are in your price range,
especially in terms of the dealer you'd be dealing with for future support.
Also, since you asked the question about whether the price you found is a
good deal - checking out many options is the ONLY way to figure that out for
your self - in your community - at this time of year. Comments people make
on this group are probably irrelevant because they aren't where you are, may
or may not have bought a boat this time of year.

My opinion is that in buying a new boat, the factors are (1) what features
you think you need (2) how much boat you can afford and (3) your level of
comfort with the dealer and (4) how fast you want to get it all done. All
very important factors, but don't neglect #3, maybe even at the expense of
not getting the absolute best deal. Believe me, saving $1000 on a $15000
deal get's VERY trivial if you struggle for weeks at a time getting the
thing back on the water in the middle of the summer, if the dealer isn't
doing whatever he can to help.

--
Cam

Esourcedesigns

Sounds a little high. Working at a marine dealership we sell the 175 base
price at $9995 and I think the 185 goes for about $12995. The bimini top
w/frame and the safety kit together would be an additional $550-$600. Prep is
another $450. I don't know what part of the country you are in but here's a
link to our site. http://www.marineoutlet.com/

Good luck on your purchase whatever you decide.

Dennis

We were quoted a price $15000. With
taxes, ppep, freight, etc, the total is $16057.50. This is for the
Bayliner 185 w/ bikini top and coast guard package. Does this price
sound reasonable?

For the Bayliner 175 w/ bikini top and coast guard package the price
is $12,000. With taxes, ppep, freight, etc, the total is $12870.00.

Do you think the Bayliner 185 is worth $3217.50 more than the Bayliner
175?

This is our first boat purchase. We would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
JC

First boat choices - Glastron or Bayliner or ? ccg General 1 June 7th 04 04:17 AM
BAYLINER BASHERS.. Maxx1676 General 75 June 5th 04 12:37 AM
1988 Bayliner Capri Side Window(front section) passenger side dshores General 5 June 4th 04 06:30 AM
Bayliner 2858 Command bridge (1987) Manitoumagic General 4 September 2nd 03 12:23 AM
Bayliner Bashing JML General 8 August 5th 03 01:04 PM