Jim

Default OT The Conservative Brain

Basskisser: If you are employed as an engineer as you claim, why the majority of your
posts to this NG made during normal business hours?????

"basskisser" wrote in message
m...
"NOYB" wrote in message

rthlink.net...
"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"NOYB" wrote in message

k.net...
"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
It had the whiff of parody. Psychologists dissecting the conservative
brain?

A press release from UC Berkeley

snip

UC Berkeley, eh? Not worth reading then.

Where did you graduate from? Anyplace with nearly the distinction of
UC Berkeley? Or DID you graduate?

BSME 1993 Purdue University (I took the EIT...does that make me an
"engineer"?)

Uh, no, it makes you an EIT.

DDS 1999 Indiana University School of Dentistry.

*You* decide if Purdue's Mechanical Engineering program qualifies as "near
the distinction" of Berkeley.

Purdue is a fine school. I have a fellow engineer who is a Purdue
grad. He also took grad classes at Berkeley. Why? better classes for
his particular interests. Now, please show how Purdue is a better
school than Berkeley. And Indiana U. is not even in the running!

Grumman-581

"Jim" wrote ...
Basskisser: If you are employed as an engineer as you claim, why the

majority of your
posts to this NG made during normal business hours?????

No one said that he was an *ethical* engineer... grin

Bill Cole

You better be careful or he will threaten to beat you into a pulp.

"Jim" wrote in message
Basskisser: If you are employed as an engineer as you claim, why the

majority of your
posts to this NG made during normal business hours?????

"basskisser" wrote in message
m...
"NOYB" wrote in message

rthlink.net...
"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"NOYB" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

Joe

"Jim" wrote in message
Basskisser: If you are employed as an engineer as you claim, why the

majority of your
posts to this NG made during normal business hours?????

When at home he's probably too busy tending to his plants to post .

Doug Kanter

"NOYB" wrote in message
thlink.net...

Great for Berkeley. However, this report was written by 4 left-wing
liberals from Berkeley's Graduate School of Education "Psychology"
Program...which ranks 45th in the nation by the way.

Ranks 45th in what way? Number of students enrolled? Percentage of
successful job placements? Did they compare it to schools whose purpose is
equivalent? Some psych programs are primarily aimed at clinical
specializations. Others focus more on research. Who ranked Berkeley?

Doug Kanter

"Jim" wrote in message
Basskisser: If you are employed as an engineer as you claim, why the

majority of your
posts to this NG made during normal business hours?????

Perhaps he is capable of multitasking, and typing fast (a lost art).

Doug Kanter

"Dave Hall" wrote in message

You bring up a good point. The reason for term limits is so that no one
can "monopolize" the government for longer than their term limit. This
is supposedly done so that someone cannot be "corrupted" by years of
accumulated political "connections", and the overwhelming tendancy
toward favoratism, that these "connections" often lead to.

Opponents bring up the cases where we get a (increasingly rare)
politician, who becomes polpular, and his policies are effective and
positive for our society. The "he's doing a great job, why should he be
forced to step down" scenario. If we, the citizens, are doing our civic
duty, and making responsible choices, and the system is relatively free
of corruption and "dirty" tricks, in theory we would be able to remove
those who are not doing a good job. The problem is that most of the
people who even bother to vote, are often not the most informed people,
and they decide their vote based on superficial "qualities", and the
sound byte issues that are spoon fed to them.

I guess what term limits really mean, is that we don't trust our own
system to take care of itself, and that we need an additional "safety
valve".

Dave

There was no grammatical reason for placing quotation marks around 4 words
in your first paragraph and two words in your second paragraph.

Doug Kanter

"NOYB" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"NOYB" wrote in message
thlink.net...

Great for Berkeley. However, this report was written by 4 left-wing
liberals from Berkeley's Graduate School of Education "Psychology"
Program...which ranks 45th in the nation by the way.

Ranks 45th in what way? Number of students enrolled? Percentage of
successful job placements? Did they compare it to schools whose purpose

is
equivalent? Some psych programs are primarily aimed at clinical
specializations. Others focus more on research. Who ranked Berkeley?

I pulled that number from a 2001 US News report on school rankings.
I couldn't find the original report, but here's an excerpt from Univ. of
Iowa's website (describing Iowa's Psych program):

* Psychology, doctoral program: No. 45, tying with Arizona State

University,
Duke University (department of experimental psychology), the University of
Arizona, the University of California-Berkeley (School of Education), the
University of Massachusetts-Amherst, the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor,
the University of Oregon and the University of Pittsburgh-Main Campus

(2001
ranking). Note: This ranking is for the program within the UI College of
Liberal Arts and Sciences' department of psychology.

Oh well. I guess we can ignore this, since there's no explanation of what
the ranking means.

NOYB

"Jim" wrote in message
Basskisser: If you are employed as an engineer as you claim, why the

majority of your
posts to this NG made during normal business hours?????

"basskisser" wrote in message
m...
"NOYB" wrote in message

rthlink.net...
"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"NOYB" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

Besides that it has more conservatives?

When I attended Purdue, US News ranked the ME program 3rd in the country. A
survey of deans of the Engineering schools across the country currently
ranks it 7...but corporate recruiters currently ranks it 3rd.

And Indiana U. is not even in the running!

I didn't know you could compare IU's dental program with Berkeley's...since
Berkeley doesn't have one.

Nevertheless, all of the rankings I've seen of dental schools puts IU in the
top 10.