Doug Kanter

Default OT The Conservative Brain

"Dave Hall" wrote in message

You bring up a good point. The reason for term limits is so that no one
can "monopolize" the government for longer than their term limit. This
is supposedly done so that someone cannot be "corrupted" by years of
accumulated political "connections", and the overwhelming tendancy
toward favoratism, that these "connections" often lead to.

Opponents bring up the cases where we get a (increasingly rare)
politician, who becomes polpular, and his policies are effective and
positive for our society. The "he's doing a great job, why should he be
forced to step down" scenario. If we, the citizens, are doing our civic
duty, and making responsible choices, and the system is relatively free
of corruption and "dirty" tricks, in theory we would be able to remove
those who are not doing a good job. The problem is that most of the
people who even bother to vote, are often not the most informed people,
and they decide their vote based on superficial "qualities", and the
sound byte issues that are spoon fed to them.

I guess what term limits really mean, is that we don't trust our own
system to take care of itself, and that we need an additional "safety
valve".

Dave

There was no grammatical reason for placing quotation marks around 4 words
in your first paragraph and two words in your second paragraph.