jps

Default OT The Conservative Brain

"Jim" wrote in message
news:%I9Ya.81493$YN5.59913@sccrnsc01...
NOYB you better watch it. You confuse these guys when you present them

with facts.

From reading your posts you'd have a hard time recognizing a fact from a
quip.

NOYB

I was responding to Harry's post that gave no explanation of what his
rankings mean...so I guess we're even.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"NOYB" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"NOYB" wrote in message
thlink.net...

Great for Berkeley. However, this report was written by 4 left-wing
liberals from Berkeley's Graduate School of Education "Psychology"
Program...which ranks 45th in the nation by the way.

Ranks 45th in what way? Number of students enrolled? Percentage of
successful job placements? Did they compare it to schools whose

purpose
is
equivalent? Some psych programs are primarily aimed at clinical
specializations. Others focus more on research. Who ranked Berkeley?

I pulled that number from a 2001 US News report on school rankings.
I couldn't find the original report, but here's an excerpt from Univ. of
Iowa's website (describing Iowa's Psych program):

* Psychology, doctoral program: No. 45, tying with Arizona State

University,
Duke University (department of experimental psychology), the University

of
Arizona, the University of California-Berkeley (School of Education),

the
University of Massachusetts-Amherst, the University of Michigan-Ann

Arbor,
the University of Oregon and the University of Pittsburgh-Main Campus

(2001
ranking). Note: This ranking is for the program within the UI College of
Liberal Arts and Sciences' department of psychology.

Oh well. I guess we can ignore this, since there's no explanation of what
the ranking means.

Doug Kanter

"NOYB" wrote in message
nk.net...

In the context of the post I was responding to, it's irrelevant. You

didn't
challenge Harry's statistics and rankings, now, did you?

Frankly, I forgot about his. For the sake of this discussion, YES, I would
like to know how ALL of the rankings are done. I suspect that when this
question is answered, it will be seen that the rankings don't serve to
support Harry's side or yours.

jps

"NOYB" wrote in message
nk.net...

When I attended Purdue, US News ranked the ME program 3rd in the country.

survey of deans of the Engineering schools across the country currently
ranks it 7...but corporate recruiters currently ranks it 3rd.

US News? Among the most conservative points of view.

Who thinks they'd be purveyors of unvarnished truth when judging anything?

basskisser

"Joe" wrote in message ...
"Jim" wrote in message
Basskisser: If you are employed as an engineer as you claim, why the

majority of your
posts to this NG made during normal business hours?????

When at home he's probably too busy tending to his plants to post .

What an idiotic statement. Purely stupid. Go pull some wire, JoeTechnician.

basskisser

"Bill Cole" wrote in message news:dG7Ya.80731$YN5.59371@sccrnsc01...
You better be careful or he will threaten to beat you into a pulp

Idiot drivel. Pure and simple.
basskisser

"Jim" wrote in message news:Gl6Ya.78866$Ho3.9903@sccrnsc03...
Basskisser: If you are employed as an engineer as you claim, why the majority of your
posts to this NG made during normal business hours?????

Very simple....well, maybe not for some.....
As I've stated, in this forum, I'm self employed. I contract work. My
choice. I make my own hours. Sometimes, I work from early afternoon,
until well into the night. Sometimes, I get up early, and finish up
early. All according to MY schedule.
Jim

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"Jim" wrote in message

Basskisser: If you are employed as an engineer as you claim, why the majority of

your
posts to this NG made during normal business hours?????

Very simple....well, maybe not for some.....
As I've stated, in this forum, I'm self employed. I contract work. My
choice. I make my own hours. Sometimes, I work from early afternoon,
until well into the night. Sometimes, I get up early, and finish up
early. All according to MY schedule.

Have you formed your own engineering consulting business with others or are you on your
own?

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 19:48:53 GMT, "Jim"
wrote:

Have you formed your own engineering consulting business with others or are you on your
own?

He doesn't hire technicians. Forget about it.
Harry Krause

Doug Kanter wrote:

"NOYB" wrote in message
nk.net...

In the context of the post I was responding to, it's irrelevant. You

didn't
challenge Harry's statistics and rankings, now, did you?

Frankly, I forgot about his. For the sake of this discussion, YES, I would
like to know how ALL of the rankings are done. I suspect that when this
question is answered, it will be seen that the rankings don't serve to
support Harry's side or yours.

I didn't rank the statistics...the source did:

National Rankings & Source

Berkeley ranks first nationally in the number of graduate programs in
the top 10 in their fields.
(97% of Berkeley's programs made the top 10 list.)
Ranking from the National Research Council

Berkeley ranks first nationally in the number of "distinguished"
programs for the scholarship of the faculty [32 programs]
Ranking from the National Research Council

Awards Held by Faculty
Current listed first
All-Time listed second

American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellows
100
125

American Academy of Arts and Sciences Fellows
216
n/a

Fields Medal in Mathematics
2
4

Fulbright Scholars
81
131

Guggenheim Fellows
138
152

Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigators
9
9

MacArthur Fellows
19
28

National Academy of Education
5
7

National Academy of Engineering
86
101

National Academy of Sciences
122
127

National Medal of Science
16
29

National Poet Laureates
1
1

National Science Foundation Young Investigators Awards
61
88

Nobel Prize
8
18

Polk Award in Journalism

3
3

Pulitzer Prizes
3
5

Sloan Fellows (young researchers)
62
92

Wolf Prizes in agriculture, mathematics, chemistry, physics, medicine
and the arts
7
9

--