Thomas D. Ireland

Default Ferro Cement Boat Restoration

I am thinking that I might be interested in a Ketch or Cruiser
restoration project. I would like one about 45' on deck. If any has one
for sale in the Pacific NW I might be interested to hear from you. If
anyone has any experience with a restoration of this type I would be
interested to hear your horror stories etc.
I have looked at several web sites (ferrocement.org, etc) as well as
looked at several book titles on the subject but have found that books and
the real world are two entirely different things. I would like to get a
diversity of resources that I can refer to. If anyone can offer any ideas
I would appreciate it. I run out of ideas from time to time.
I have limited construction experience and have had some training with
shop tools and equipment and may be able to offer some ideas to someone
who might need some help so I would like to hear from those people as
well. I also have some cadet experience and may also be able to help with
some of those issues as well. Hope to hear from y'all soon!

Tom

Butch Davis

Thomas,

FWIW (very little), a friend of mine took on such a project in 1982. He and
his SO worked on the boat for about a year. At the time he was employed at
an Army marina/hobby shop and had access to all tools and equipment and was
able to work on his project on-site during the lunch hour etc. When he
finished the project the boat was pretty nice. He subsquently sailed down
to the Keys where he lived aboard and sailed until he sold the boat and
started work on another project boat.

At the time he finished the project he told me it was about four times as
much work and expense as he had estimated when he began. He told me he
would never again try to restore a ferrocement boat and that he believed it
would have been cheaper, faster and easier to start from scratch with a new
armature.

This guy was a gifted craftsman with years of experience.

YMMV.

Butch
"Red Cloud®" wrote in message
On 31 Jul 2005 22:46:47 -0800, (Thomas D.
Ireland)
wrote:

[...]

Just for openers, you'll find it extremely difficult or completely
impossible to
get insurance or financing of any kind for a ferro cement boat.

rusty redcloud

Shortwave Sportfishing

Ireland) wrote:

[...]

Having done several restorations over the years from cars to boats,
including a '68 Chris Craft Corsair which is in it's second year of
work, this is not something that you want to take on if you have never
done anything like it before. It's not a reflection on you or your
ability to learn, adjust or competence - it's just a fact.

Second, you are spot on - books don't cover it all. Even on my newer
boats, I'm always learning something about them, breaking something
that isn't quite covered or having to noodle an issue through without
any support at all from available information.

As to ferroconcrete, do what you will, but I'd stay away from this
type of vessel. It's not that they are or aren't any safer than any
other type of vessel - they built a bizillion of them during WWII and
I've heard tell that several of them are still floating and being
used. It's that the maintenance is tougher with them, the issues are
much more complex (like spalling for example) and you just can't
"repair" one in the middle of a cruise.

If I were you, I'd take on a smaller task - find a boat with a smaller
profile in glass or wood which is solid and sound, but needs some TLC.
That way you can get more complex as you learn and maybe even make
some money along the way after all the work is done.

In any case, good luck.

Later,

Tom
Thomas D. Ireland

: wrote:

:
[...]

Not too worried about financing, this would be a long term project and I
would do whatever work I could when I could. Insurance is going to be an
issue then, from what you say. I'll have do more research I guess. That is
the reason for my posting. Thanks for the input.

Tom

Thomas D. Ireland

HarryKrause ) wrote:
: Gene Kearns wrote:
: On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 12:28:49 GMT, "Butch Davis"
: wrote:
: .
: At the time he finished the project he told me it was about four times as
: much work and expense as he had estimated when he began. He told me he
: would never again try to restore a ferrocement boat and that he believed it
: would have been cheaper, faster and easier to start from scratch with a new
: armature.
:
:
: I can't imagine delving into such a repair without significant and
: expensive NDI equipment. How one could determine the condition of the
: "ferro" inside the cement without such is beyond me.... and *not*
: determining it would yield a finished job with no guarantee of
: structural integrity.
:
: There would be enough challenges involved in restoring a fiberglass or
: wooden boat... if you just need a hobby.
:
: If you want to actually go boating.... get a fixer upper. Come to
: think of it, even a new boat, trailer, motor combination has enough
: upkeep to classify as a hobby....
:
: ...YMMV....

: I cannot imagine why anyone would want to build or buy a ferrocement
: tub. Wood is the way to go, if your starting from scratch, and several
: posters here and in other boating groups have shared great photos and
: stories with us of boats they have built of wood, wood-epoxy, wood
: sheathed in fiberglass and fiberglass. Even if you want to build a
: honking big sailboat, you can buy a fiberglass hull, finish it off, and
: have a nice boat.

I think I would like the stability a heavy boat would offer. It would be a
much nicer ride I think. There are lots of pros and cons though.

Tom

Thomas D. Ireland

Thanks for the tip! It is a big project but I have time on my hands. I'm
not worried about woodwork so if I can get a good hull with a deck the
rest will be simple. I would subcontract electrical for insurance reasons
and plumbing because I want to be sure it is reliable though.

Tom

Shortwave
: Ireland) wrote:

:
[...]

Bill McKee

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 14:21:47 -0400, HarryKrause
wrote:

On a sailboat, your stability comes from the weight in your keel working
against the lateral push from your sails. Perhaps a "built-down" ferro
sailboat hull might have significant stability, but I'd rather enjoy the
ride on a properly keeled glass sailboat of the same size class.

But those liberty ships were pretty neat, too. I remember coming into
Wilmington, NC as a kid and seeing Liberty Ships moored in the Cape
Fear River as far as the eye could see....

Neat stories about their construction, too, from my dad. He worked at
Newport News building them, until he was conscripted in WWII.

Liberty ships were steel, as well as the Victory ships. My dad spent the
war building them in Richmond, CA and my mom spent the time as a nurse at
the shipyard hospital. The hospital became the first Kaiser hospital. I
remember the small stamped models that we had at home. Probably worth a lot
of money now. First boat I got to pilot.

thunder

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 05:16:54 +0000, Bill McKee wrote:

Liberty ships were steel, as well as the Victory ships. My dad spent the
war building them in Richmond, CA and my mom spent the time as a nurse at
the shipyard hospital. The hospital became the first Kaiser hospital. I
remember the small stamped models that we had at home. Probably worth a
lot of money now. First boat I got to pilot.

Liberty ships were steel, but, interestingly, we did make some
ferro-cement ships in both world wars. One of the down sides of
ferro-cement is that they don't take an impact very well. I'd hate to
think what a torpedo would do to one.

http://www.concreteships.org/ships/ww1/

http://www.concreteships.org/ships/ww2/
Shortwave Sportfishing

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 13:33:18 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 05:16:54 GMT, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
. ..

Neat stories about their construction, too, from my dad. He worked at
Newport News building them, until he was conscripted in WWII.

Liberty ships were steel, as well as the Victory ships. My dad spent the
war building them in Richmond, CA and my mom spent the time as a nurse at
the shipyard hospital. The hospital became the first Kaiser hospital. I
remember the small stamped models that we had at home. Probably worth a lot
of money now. First boat I got to pilot.

I have to assume that he saw what he saw...

Apparently, as steel became scarce they, experimented with other forms
of material. One of the stories he recounted was the, to him,
excessive number of hours spent in vibrating the mix in the mold....
sometimes two shifts. He always expected to see the hull come out with
aggregate on the bottom and sand and cement on top.... though he never
saw one come out that way.

I assume vibrating a steel ship would just be loud....

That same technique was used on Hoover Dam. When we were out there a
few years ago, one of the documentaries we saw mentioned that
sometimes whole gangs of ten/fifteen men would continuously vibrate
the cement mixture for as long as 36 hours.

Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
What's a good sail boat to buy to live on? Wilfred Johnson Cruising 8 July 7th 04 01:57 AM