Thomas D. Ireland

Thanks for the tip! It is a big project but I have time on my hands. I'm
not worried about woodwork so if I can get a good hull with a deck the
rest will be simple. I would subcontract electrical for insurance reasons
and plumbing because I want to be sure it is reliable though.

Tom

Shortwave
Sportfishing ) wrote:
: On 31 Jul 2005 22:46:47 -0800, (Thomas D.
: Ireland) wrote:

:
: I am thinking that I might be interested in a Ketch or Cruiser
: restoration project. I would like one about 45' on deck. If any has one
: for sale in the Pacific NW I might be interested to hear from you. If
: anyone has any experience with a restoration of this type I would be
: interested to hear your horror stories etc.
: I have looked at several web sites (ferrocement.org, etc) as well as
: looked at several book titles on the subject but have found that books and
: the real world are two entirely different things. I would like to get a
: diversity of resources that I can refer to. If anyone can offer any ideas
: I would appreciate it. I run out of ideas from time to time.
: I have limited construction experience and have had some training with
: shop tools and equipment and may be able to offer some ideas to someone
: who might need some help so I would like to hear from those people as
: well. I also have some cadet experience and may also be able to help with
: some of those issues as well. Hope to hear from y'all soon!

: Having done several restorations over the years from cars to boats,
: including a '68 Chris Craft Corsair which is in it's second year of
: work, this is not something that you want to take on if you have never
: done anything like it before. It's not a reflection on you or your
: ability to learn, adjust or competence - it's just a fact.

: Second, you are spot on - books don't cover it all. Even on my newer
: boats, I'm always learning something about them, breaking something
: that isn't quite covered or having to noodle an issue through without
: any support at all from available information.

: As to ferroconcrete, do what you will, but I'd stay away from this
: type of vessel. It's not that they are or aren't any safer than any
: other type of vessel - they built a bizillion of them during WWII and
: I've heard tell that several of them are still floating and being
: used. It's that the maintenance is tougher with them, the issues are
: much more complex (like spalling for example) and you just can't
: "repair" one in the middle of a cruise.

: If I were you, I'd take on a smaller task - find a boat with a smaller
: profile in glass or wood which is solid and sound, but needs some TLC.
: That way you can get more complex as you learn and maybe even make
: some money along the way after all the work is done.

: In any case, good luck.

: Later,

: Tom