Shortwave Sportfishing

On 31 Jul 2005 22:46:47 -0800, (Thomas D.
Ireland) wrote:

I am thinking that I might be interested in a Ketch or Cruiser
restoration project. I would like one about 45' on deck. If any has one
for sale in the Pacific NW I might be interested to hear from you. If
anyone has any experience with a restoration of this type I would be
interested to hear your horror stories etc.
I have looked at several web sites (ferrocement.org, etc) as well as
looked at several book titles on the subject but have found that books and
the real world are two entirely different things. I would like to get a
diversity of resources that I can refer to. If anyone can offer any ideas
I would appreciate it. I run out of ideas from time to time.
I have limited construction experience and have had some training with
shop tools and equipment and may be able to offer some ideas to someone
who might need some help so I would like to hear from those people as
well. I also have some cadet experience and may also be able to help with
some of those issues as well. Hope to hear from y'all soon!

Having done several restorations over the years from cars to boats,
including a '68 Chris Craft Corsair which is in it's second year of
work, this is not something that you want to take on if you have never
done anything like it before. It's not a reflection on you or your
ability to learn, adjust or competence - it's just a fact.

Second, you are spot on - books don't cover it all. Even on my newer
boats, I'm always learning something about them, breaking something
that isn't quite covered or having to noodle an issue through without
any support at all from available information.

As to ferroconcrete, do what you will, but I'd stay away from this
type of vessel. It's not that they are or aren't any safer than any
other type of vessel - they built a bizillion of them during WWII and
I've heard tell that several of them are still floating and being
used. It's that the maintenance is tougher with them, the issues are
much more complex (like spalling for example) and you just can't
"repair" one in the middle of a cruise.

If I were you, I'd take on a smaller task - find a boat with a smaller
profile in glass or wood which is solid and sound, but needs some TLC.
That way you can get more complex as you learn and maybe even make
some money along the way after all the work is done.

In any case, good luck.

Later,

Tom