MVG

Default Are cam cleats good for hanging fenders?

It seems like cam cleats would be nice to use to hang fenders from the
boat. Stick the line in the cam cleat "too long", then pull on the end
to zip it up backwards until the fender is at the correct height for
the boat/pier/rub rail, then let go, the teeth gripping the line to
prevent the fender from going lower.

I have found two great products:

http://www.schaefermarine.com/hardware.asp (Go to Deck Hardware then
Sure Grip)

and

http://www.harkenstore.com/uniface.urd/SCCYSPW1

I emailed a tech support guy at Schafer and he says that this
arrangement does not work, the fender line tending to get out of the
grip of the teeth.

Anyone want to contradict that, has used cam cleats in this
application?

Mitch

*JimH*

"MVG" wrote in message
oups.com...
It seems like cam cleats would be nice to use to hang fenders from the
boat. Stick the line in the cam cleat "too long", then pull on the end
to zip it up backwards until the fender is at the correct height for
the boat/pier/rub rail, then let go, the teeth gripping the line to
prevent the fender from going lower.

I have found two great products:

http://www.schaefermarine.com/hardware.asp (Go to Deck Hardware then
Sure Grip)

and

http://www.harkenstore.com/uniface.urd/SCCYSPW1

I emailed a tech support guy at Schafer and he says that this
arrangement does not work, the fender line tending to get out of the
grip of the teeth.

Anyone want to contradict that, has used cam cleats in this
application?

Mitch

Why not just hang the fender directly from the cleat?

John Jay

The expert at Schafer is correct, the lateral stress place on the fender as
the boat moves back and forth will cause the line to pop out of the cam
cleat.

As a general rule, when a manufacture tells you his product will not work,
it probably won't.

"MVG" wrote in message
oups.com...
It seems like cam cleats would be nice to use to hang fenders from the
boat. Stick the line in the cam cleat "too long", then pull on the end
to zip it up backwards until the fender is at the correct height for
the boat/pier/rub rail, then let go, the teeth gripping the line to
prevent the fender from going lower.

I have found two great products:

http://www.schaefermarine.com/hardware.asp (Go to Deck Hardware then
Sure Grip)

and

http://www.harkenstore.com/uniface.urd/SCCYSPW1

I emailed a tech support guy at Schafer and he says that this
arrangement does not work, the fender line tending to get out of the
grip of the teeth.

Anyone want to contradict that, has used cam cleats in this
application?

Mitch

DSK

MVG wrote:
It seems like cam cleats would be nice to use to hang fenders from the
boat. Stick the line in the cam cleat "too long", then pull on the end
to zip it up backwards until the fender is at the correct height for
the boat/pier/rub rail, then let go, the teeth gripping the line to
prevent the fender from going lower.

Problem: The fenders don't hang nice & straight at all times. All you
have to do is pull the fender slighlty above the axis of the cam cleat,
and the line pops out.

That's why cam cleats are very popular for things like mainsheets on
sailboats, which need to be easily released in gusts. But not so good
for tasks like hanging fenders... no doubt this is why the manufacturers
(honest fellows!) told you it wasn't such a good idea.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Capt. Neal®

[...]

I love it when people use clam cleats to hang their fenders.

It means there will be lots of nice fenders in the mangroves
I can salvage.

CN

K. Smith

HarryKrause wrote:
*JimH* wrote:

"MVG" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Because the cam cleat makes it easier to adjust the height of the fender
almost instantaneously.

I use a fender gripping device that allows me to slide the fender line
up or down to accommodate different height docks. I've had them for
about 10 years, and I don't remember the brand name. But I've seen them
at boating supply stores.

Firstly be most careful of this lier he doesn't own a boat & never has,
indeed he didn't even know what a "fender" was a few years ago in this
NG till after one of his BS lies he called them bumpers:-) someone
explained it to him. 10 yrs indeed he's just full of it:-)

As for the question, cam cleats need a constant load on them to lock
properly, the constant tug & release that a fender is liable to give
will allow the line to escape more often than it's worth.

& your Krause lie of the day?? Well it's pretty recent, just imagine if
this idiot had actually been out on his own boat?? the endless details
the pictures, the DNA of the fish, naa your lying little union friend
saved up & went on a charter boat yet again, nothing more. I mean he
even posted pics when the driveway when the landlord finally gave in &
had it graded for him:-), what a sad sack of crap he is;

With high hopes that it wouldn’t rain and that at least some of the
fresh water runoff “polluting” the Bay had itself runoff, as it were, we
headed out of the Patuxent River yesterday in search of a few fish with
whom to play. Knowing the importance of an early start, we all actually
got to the boat by 9:30 AM. Gotta take this feeeeshing seriously.

I was accompanied on the hunt for fish by Dave, Roger, and Steve, who,
in order to follow the example of this newsgroup’s most prolific poster
about fishing (if not its most prolific fisherman), I renamed
“Limp-Along Dave,” “Mad Dog Roger,” and “StinkyShorts Steve. Hearty
fellows all, although Mad Dog seemed just a bit too interested the
brands of beer everyone else had brought.

Well, it didn’t take long. As we passed the Naval Air Station, turned
south, and came upon the remnants of the old lighthouse, we saw birds
swooping and quickly determined the water was filled with small blues,
maybe two to three pounds. We started casting half ounce spoons and one
ounce plugs at them, and caught and released oh maybe a dozen before
they decided to move on.

Radar showed the birds really were active, in and over about 40 feet of
water, so we decided to head out a ways and troll down towards the mouth
of the Mighty Po-to-Mac, dragging a few weighted plugs, artificial
worms, and the carcass of one of the blues who give up his fishy spirit
upon encountering StinkyShorts.

We caught a total of five stripers, and released four of them.
“Limp-Along” decided to take his home for dinner. The fish were between
33" and 43" inches long. Most of the boats we saw were catching a few fish.

After lunch, we headed up the Bay towards the Gas Docks, once a great
place to anchor or tie up, and start a chum or drip line. Alas, the
docks are being used again to offload liquified gas, and you can’t use
the facility as structure. But the fish that used to hang out there have
moved out to meet the fishermen, or so it seems some days, but not
yesterday for us.

Well, after futzing around for awhile, we headed up the Patuxent on
bikini patrol It wasn’t that warm out, so the sightings were few.

The day was winding down. We headed in, scrubbed out the boat, and drove
to one of our favorite Solomons waterfront joints for buckets of
steamers and beers.

Not a bad day on the water.

- - -

Bush: Enough to Make You Puke

*JimH*

"K. Smith" wrote in message
HarryKrause wrote:
*JimH* wrote:

"MVG" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Using a simple cleat hitch I never had a problem re-adjusting the fender
heights....and the fenders stayed in place.

Shortwave Sportfishing

On 5 Jun 2005 15:00:07 -0700, "MVG" wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

I emailed a tech support guy at Schafer and he says that this
arrangement does not work, the fender line tending to get out of the
grip of the teeth.

Get the hint? :)

Everybody else has pretty much told you why it shouldn't be done, but
I'm here to tell you, from practical experience, that it won't work.

I'd rather not say how my bright idea about cam cleats came about, but
I will say I had some repairs to make when it didn't work.

Later,

Tom
Shortwave Sportfishing

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 11:33:22 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

On 5 Jun 2005 15:00:07 -0700, "MVG" wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

I emailed a tech support guy at Schafer and he says that this
arrangement does not work, the fender line tending to get out of the
grip of the teeth.

Get the hint? :)

Everybody else has pretty much told you why it shouldn't be done, but
I'm here to tell you, from practical experience, that it won't work.

I'd rather not say how my bright idea about cam cleats came about, but
I will say I had some repairs to make when it didn't work.

By the way, I did eventually come up with a method to keep the damn
lines from popping out of the cam cleat, but it wasn't worth the
effort or the time spent in a machine shop to modify the cleat.

Besides, as JimH said, it's simple enough to adjust fenders on a
regular cleat - you aren't saving any time doing otherwise.

Later,

Tom
*JimH*

"K. Smith" wrote in message
HarryKrause wrote:
*JimH* wrote:

"MVG" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Wow, birds picked up on radar....and radar that shows water depths.
Amazing. What brand of radar is this Harry?

WooooHoooo! katysails ASA 9 January 13th 05 02:36 AM
A Dickens Christmas Harry Krause General 0 December 25th 03 11:30 AM
Good weekend, except for one little cover problem. Calif Bill General 0 July 30th 03 05:18 AM
Bumpers Bruce Bennett General 9 July 25th 03 01:53 AM