*JimH*

"K. Smith" wrote in message
HarryKrause wrote:
*JimH* wrote:

"MVG" wrote in message
oups.com...

It seems like cam cleats would be nice to use to hang fenders from the
boat. Stick the line in the cam cleat "too long", then pull on the end
to zip it up backwards until the fender is at the correct height for
the boat/pier/rub rail, then let go, the teeth gripping the line to
prevent the fender from going lower.

I have found two great products:

http://www.schaefermarine.com/hardware.asp (Go to Deck Hardware then
Sure Grip)

and

http://www.harkenstore.com/uniface.urd/SCCYSPW1

I emailed a tech support guy at Schafer and he says that this
arrangement does not work, the fender line tending to get out of the
grip of the teeth.

Anyone want to contradict that, has used cam cleats in this
application?

Mitch

Why not just hang the fender directly from the cleat?

Because the cam cleat makes it easier to adjust the height of the fender
almost instantaneously.

I use a fender gripping device that allows me to slide the fender line up
or down to accommodate different height docks. I've had them for about 10
years, and I don't remember the brand name. But I've seen them at boating
supply stores.

Firstly be most careful of this lier he doesn't own a boat & never has,
indeed he didn't even know what a "fender" was a few years ago in this NG
till after one of his BS lies he called them bumpers:-) someone explained
it to him. 10 yrs indeed he's just full of it:-)

As for the question, cam cleats need a constant load on them to lock
properly, the constant tug & release that a fender is liable to give will
allow the line to escape more often than it's worth.

& your Krause lie of the day?? Well it's pretty recent, just imagine if
this idiot had actually been out on his own boat?? the endless details the
pictures, the DNA of the fish, naa your lying little union friend saved up
& went on a charter boat yet again, nothing more. I mean he even posted
pics when the driveway when the landlord finally gave in & had it graded
for him:-), what a sad sack of crap he is;

With high hopes that it wouldn’t rain and that at least some of the fresh
water runoff “polluting” the Bay had itself runoff, as it were, we headed
out of the Patuxent River yesterday in search of a few fish with whom to
play. Knowing the importance of an early start, we all actually got to
the boat by 9:30 AM. Gotta take this feeeeshing seriously.

I was accompanied on the hunt for fish by Dave, Roger, and Steve, who, in
order to follow the example of this newsgroup’s most prolific poster
about fishing (if not its most prolific fisherman), I renamed “Limp-Along
Dave,” “Mad Dog Roger,” and “StinkyShorts Steve. Hearty fellows all,
although Mad Dog seemed just a bit too interested the brands of beer
everyone else had brought.

Well, it didn’t take long. As we passed the Naval Air Station, turned
south, and came upon the remnants of the old lighthouse, we saw birds
swooping and quickly determined the water was filled with small blues,
maybe two to three pounds. We started casting half ounce spoons and one
ounce plugs at them, and caught and released oh maybe a dozen before they
decided to move on.

Radar showed the birds really were active, in and over about 40 feet of
water, ...

Wow, birds picked up on radar....and radar that shows water depths.
Amazing. What brand of radar is this Harry?