Bruce Bennett

Default Bumpers

Looking for ideas for fastening bumpers.

We have a 18 foot runabout with four cleats. The cleats are not in the best
positions to fasten the bumpers to protect the hull. I am thinking of
mounting some smaller cleats or similar to the inside of the hull to hang or
fasten the bumpers to. What do you think of that idea? Also, do you know
of a device to quickly fasten and adjust length on the lines for bumpers.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Bruce

Gary Warner

The purists will tell, or scold, you that the proper term is
not "bumpers" but "fenders." The only way I can remember
this is that I say, "Boats and Bumpers both start with B...but
I know that isn't right....so it's Fenders."

ANYWAY, three things:

#1 - Yes, you can install small cleats just for hanging Fenders. My boat
doesn't have *any* cleats it just has "lifting rings". These are not in
any kind of useful position for fenders. So I bought four small
cleats (go to www.westmarine.com and type in number 373227
to see what I used.) This is the 3" version. They make the same
in lager versions. I'm mounting my UNDER the railing on the
inside of the boat. They will not be seen and will not be in the
way when not in use. Yet, the fenders can be hung from them
quickly and easily.

#2 - You could also hang one or more fenders BETWEEN your
existing cleats in a horizontal position. Some fenders have holes
at both ends so you can tie lines to both ends.

#3 - They also make fenders that are not in the typical ball
or cylinder shape. They are more flat, like cushions. Maybe
these would work better for you.

#4 - They do make devices for quickly and easily adjusting the
length of fender lines. I'm looking in the West Marine catalog
and see them called "Automatic Fender Adjusters" or "Fender
Height Adjusters." There are a bunch of different variations
....see page 625 of the current 2003 West catalog.

(No, I don't work for West...just it's an easy reference)

Good Luck.
Gary

am doing this on my boat.

"Bruce Bennett" wrote in message
Looking for ideas for fastening bumpers.

We have a 18 foot runabout with four cleats. The cleats are not in the

best
positions to fasten the bumpers to protect the hull. I am thinking of
mounting some smaller cleats or similar to the inside of the hull to hang

or
fasten the bumpers to. What do you think of that idea? Also, do you know
of a device to quickly fasten and adjust length on the lines for bumpers.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Bruce

Wayne.B

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 02:38:40 GMT, "Bruce Bennett"
wrote:
Looking for ideas for fastening bumpers.

We have a 18 foot runabout with four cleats. The cleats are not in the best
positions to fasten the bumpers to protect the hull. I am thinking of
mounting some smaller cleats or similar to the inside of the hull to hang or
fasten the bumpers to. What do you think of that idea? Also, do you know
of a device to quickly fasten and adjust length on the lines for bumpers.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

As you hopefully know, we are really talking about "fenders" here, not
"bumpers". It is common to hang fenders from thngs other than cleats,
such as grab rails and bow rails. That will usually get the job done
but you could also install a new cleat or two if needed, usually a
small one will do. The attachment/adjusting device you are looking
for is called a knot, usually a clove hitch or double half hitch.
None of the commercially available replacements work as well or last
as long, and you'll have the satisfaction of learning a new skill.

http://www.cptdave.com/clove-hitch.html

http://www.cptdave.com/double-half-hitch.html

My personal preference is to tie on with a clove hitch, adjust the
length while knot still loose, and then lock it with a double half
hitch.

Skipper

Bruce Bennett wrote:

Looking for ideas for fastening bumpers.

We have a 18 foot runabout with four cleats. The cleats are not in the
best positions to fasten the bumpers to protect the hull. I am thinking of
mounting some smaller cleats or similar to the inside of the hull to hang
or fasten the bumpers to.

I've used these inexpensive fender hooks for years without complaint.
Position permanently at the optimum points and fender management becomes
painless.

http://tinyurl.com/hrfl

--
Skipper
Gould 0738

As you hopefully know, we are really talking about "fenders" here, not
"bumpers". It is common to hang fenders from thngs other than cleats,
such as grab rails and bow rails. That will usually get the job done
but you could also install a new cleat or two if needed, usually a
small one will do. The attachment/adjusting device you are looking
for is called a knot, usually a clove hitch or double half hitch.
None of the commercially available replacements work as well or last
as long, and you'll have the satisfaction of learning a new skill.

http://www.cptdave.com/clove-hitch.html

http://www.cptdave.com/double-half-hitch.html

My personal preference is to tie on with a clove hitch, adjust the
length while knot still loose, and then lock it with a double half
hitch.

Good advice about the knots. I believe the same device can be called both a
"bumper" and a "fender" depending on how it's used. An inflated plastic object
suspended from a boat is a fender. Permanently secured to a dock, it can be
called a bumper.

Even so, I've seen some pretty salty guys call fenders "bumpers" and nobody
minds too much.

Fender/bumper may be similar to rope/line. When you know absolutely nothing
about boating terminology, you are likely to use the term "rope" for all hemp,
nylon, or polyester cordage on a boat. When you learn so little that you think
you know it all, you might fall into the school that is horrified to ever hear
the term "rope" used on a boat, and be quick to offer the corrected term
"line." When you learn enough to realize you don't know anywhere nearly
everything, you discover that there are proper and improper uses for the term
"rope" on a boat, and in cases where the term is properly used substituting
"line" is
ridiculous.

Once again, outside the yacht club circuit people are mainly concerned that the
meaning of your communication is clear.
Nobody laughs at a guy who crabs in the Gulf of Alaska in the wintertime
because he says "rope" where "line" might be better or calls a fender a
"bumper."

Sailing terminology of course is another matter. I know a guy who loves to tell
a sailboat racing story. Seems that he invited a powerboating friend to observe
the race from the committee boat. After the fleet rounded a mark, the sailor
asked the stinkpotter what he thought about sail racing. The stinkpotter
answered, "I've been paying careful attention to the commands shouted at the
crews as they round the mark, and I'm convinced there are only two sails
employed on these boats. What I need to know is, which is the 'f***ing sail'
that needs to come down and which is the 'godd*m sail' that needs to go up?"

Gould 0738

Skipper wrote:

I've used these inexpensive fender hooks for years

("and lead us not into temptation.....") :-)

Did you ever sell your Ciera??

Wayne.B

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:06:01 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

I also have an 18" diameter anchor lift ball I will use sometimes,
depending upon conditions of the dock.

Harry, can you explain how the anchot lift ball is used? I've
never seen it done and can't quite visualize the process.

Wayne.B

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 05:13:50 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Harry, can you explain how the anchot lift ball is used? I've
never seen it done and can't quite visualize the process.

Sure. The lift ball has an eye in its top to which is attached about 3'
of rope. At the other end of the rope is a stainless steel loop about 5"
in diameter. You slip the loop over your anchor line when you want to
raise the anchor and slowly drive your boat in the general direction of
the anchor, but at enough of an angle so the anchor line doesn't get
tangled in your prop. The ball goes underwater towards the anchor and
lifts it off the bottom. You then stop the boat and simple retrieve the
"floating" anchor, line and ball.

Thanks, but here's the part I'm having trouble with. What forces the
ball underwater? Do you attach the stainless loop to the anchor rode
in some way, or is the rode free to slip through the loop? Do you
start out with all of the slack taken out, i.e., rode vertical to the
anchor?

Harry Krause

wrote:

[...]

Ahh. As you drive forward towards the anchor, but on a diagonal, the
rode slips through the loop and the exerts lift on the rode and the
anchor, lifting it up. The ball doesn't go to the bottom, but it does go
beneath the surface.

I don't start with the rode vertical.

--
* * *