Gary Warner

Default Bumpers

The purists will tell, or scold, you that the proper term is
not "bumpers" but "fenders." The only way I can remember
this is that I say, "Boats and Bumpers both start with B...but
I know that isn't right....so it's Fenders."

ANYWAY, three things:

#1 - Yes, you can install small cleats just for hanging Fenders. My boat
doesn't have *any* cleats it just has "lifting rings". These are not in
any kind of useful position for fenders. So I bought four small
cleats (go to www.westmarine.com and type in number 373227
to see what I used.) This is the 3" version. They make the same
in lager versions. I'm mounting my UNDER the railing on the
inside of the boat. They will not be seen and will not be in the
way when not in use. Yet, the fenders can be hung from them
quickly and easily.

#2 - You could also hang one or more fenders BETWEEN your
existing cleats in a horizontal position. Some fenders have holes
at both ends so you can tie lines to both ends.

#3 - They also make fenders that are not in the typical ball
or cylinder shape. They are more flat, like cushions. Maybe
these would work better for you.

#4 - They do make devices for quickly and easily adjusting the
length of fender lines. I'm looking in the West Marine catalog
and see them called "Automatic Fender Adjusters" or "Fender
Height Adjusters." There are a bunch of different variations
....see page 625 of the current 2003 West catalog.

(No, I don't work for West...just it's an easy reference)

Good Luck.
Gary

am doing this on my boat.

"Bruce Bennett" wrote in message
Looking for ideas for fastening bumpers.

We have a 18 foot runabout with four cleats. The cleats are not in the

best
positions to fasten the bumpers to protect the hull. I am thinking of
mounting some smaller cleats or similar to the inside of the hull to hang

or
fasten the bumpers to. What do you think of that idea? Also, do you know
of a device to quickly fasten and adjust length on the lines for bumpers.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Bruce