Harry Krause

Default Bumpers

Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 05:13:50 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Harry, can you explain how the anchot lift ball is used? I've
never seen it done and can't quite visualize the process.

Sure. The lift ball has an eye in its top to which is attached about 3'
of rope. At the other end of the rope is a stainless steel loop about 5"
in diameter. You slip the loop over your anchor line when you want to
raise the anchor and slowly drive your boat in the general direction of
the anchor, but at enough of an angle so the anchor line doesn't get
tangled in your prop. The ball goes underwater towards the anchor and
lifts it off the bottom. You then stop the boat and simple retrieve the
"floating" anchor, line and ball.

Thanks, but here's the part I'm having trouble with. What forces the
ball underwater? Do you attach the stainless loop to the anchor rode
in some way, or is the rode free to slip through the loop? Do you
start out with all of the slack taken out, i.e., rode vertical to the
anchor?

Ahh. As you drive forward towards the anchor, but on a diagonal, the
rode slips through the loop and the exerts lift on the rode and the
anchor, lifting it up. The ball doesn't go to the bottom, but it does go
beneath the surface.

I don't start with the rode vertical.

--
* * *