Chief3mfc

Default My Bad Experience With Overton's (long)

Hi All,
I wanted to pass this along in hopes that none else gets burned like I did.
I have a loving restored 78 Sportcraft 20' cuddy. Last season I added a
jackplate to address a porpising issue. Because of the 8" setback, the steering
cable couldn't make the bend. The last thing I wanted to do was drill a hole in
the transom I worked so hard to replace. So my thoughts turned to hydraulic
steering. I combed the web and the best price was Overton's.
Now, we all know that cable steering is pretty much universal. What works on a
Merc., will work on a Honda, will work on a Johnnyrude, etc. There were no
applications or model restrictions on Overton's web catalog, so I ordered a
Teleflex system from the website. It was a drop-ship direct from Teleflex with
a 14 day turnaround.
The 14 days become 35 and it arrives. The first thing I notice is a big
red sticker on the outside of the box stating that "This unit will not work on
the following motors....". Wanna guess what is the first motor on the list?
Yep, mine.
So I get on the phone. The sticker provides the part number for the steering
cylinder that I need, so I'm thinking that this can work out somehow. Heck, I
didn't even have to open the box. Even if I have to buy the correct cylinder
outright, and send the wrong one back. I even entertain the idea of buying the
right one and selling the other one on eBay. If nothing else, I'm an optomist.
Well, Overton's Customer NoService girl has no clue what I'm talking
about, so she transfers me to one of their technical guys. Turns out he dosn't
either. I explain the sticker and tell him what cylinder I need. He says that
part isn't available. He gives me the phone number for Teleflex and wishes me
well.
So now I call Teleflex Canada and the nice lady tells me that, "Yes that
cylinder IS available" and "Yes they can order it, but I can't. You must go
through a dealer.".
Now I'm back on the phone with Customer NoService again. I again explain
my predicament and my need for the elusive rear mount cylinder. She tells me
that they can't help me and gives me directions for returning the kit.(At my
expense).
Because it arrived packed in an outer box, I wrapped the box in brown paper and
packed it in an outer box and took it to UPS.
Two weeks later I call to make sure that it arrived and they were going to
issue a credit to my card. I am told that it arrived, and they credited my
account. LESS A RESTOCKING FEE. Now had this been a $50 or $100.00 item, I
probably would have let it go, but this was nearly $1,000.00! The fee was
$129.00! This dosn't include the $55.00 to ship it both ways!
After I was done sputtering and my blood pressure leveled off, I explained
that this was hardly my fault, and had they provided the neccessary application
info on thier web catalog, this would have never occured. Her reply was, and
this is an exact quote: " Well sir, if I was going to spend $1,00.00 on
something, I would be more careful." GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
I asked to speak to her supervisor. I explained it all again in lurid
detail and expressed my outrage with the smarta$$ed remark about my consumer
habits. Ms. Supervisor told me she would look into it and get back to me.
Two weeks later, still no call. I call back to find out that, yes, I am
screwed. They will keep my money for nothing and Thank You For Shopping
Overton's.
I hope that they enjoy that $184.00 that they got from me. Throw a party
for the Customer NoService department or something like that because it is the
last money they will get from me. In fact, if they were giving stuff away free,
I would take a pass.
Now, to be fair about this, I am not without blame here. I should have
done more research about the item and been a more informed consumer. My bad for
trusting that the catalog would have all the info I needed. And had the
restocking fee been more resonable I would have probably taken my licks and
chalked it up to life experience. But I can't help but wonder how long I would
be in business if I charged my customers for doing nothing.
I'm not posting this to try to convince anyone to not do business with
these folks. All I am trying to do is make everyone aware of this: If you
choose to buy it from Overton's, make sure you do your homework, or it will
cost you.
Now if you will excuse me, I have to go drill a hole in my transom.

Cliff

Doug Kanter

There must be a school somewhere that churns out people like the ones you
dealt with. Sounds like my apartment complex: At the end of my second year,
I asked if I could renew the lease for just 6 months, since I'm buying a
house. The mgr said "Sure, but it's an extra $50 per month". This was in
addition to the normal annual rent increase.

I asked how I was causing them extra expense by asking for 6 months instead
of another year. Response: "Well, sir, that covers the cost of continuing to
service you".

Next day, their entire maintenance staff quit. Third time in 18 months. :-)

I searched Overton's website.
Is Item #23093, SeaStar l Hydraulic Steering Kit made by Teleflex? I
see only one other kit, Bay Star by Teleflex but it's specifically for
smaller outboards with 32" splashwells (but with an 8" setback, I
wouldn't think you'd have to worry about the splashwell width). For
those two kits, I agree, the Overton information leads the reader to
assume they both fit all conventional outboard steering applications.
Only choice is between *under* 150hp (BayStar) and *over* 150hp
(SeaStar). In fact, I'm puzzled why it won't work for your outboard.
What Make, Model, HP, outboard is yours? And why won't it work? And
what's the difference in the cylinders?

If you haven't paid your credit card statement yet, you could try
contacting them to dispute the charge. You might get run around by
them too but it wouldn't hurt to try. Also, put your complaint in
*writing* to Overton's with a tactful letter. Prolly won't help but
won't hurt either.

Good luck...

Rick

On 08 Mar 2004 16:21:58 GMT, chief3mfc wrote:
[...]

Doug Kanter

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:44:16 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

There must be a school somewhere that churns out people like the ones you
dealt with. Sounds like my apartment complex: At the end of my second

year,
I asked if I could renew the lease for just 6 months, since I'm buying a
house. The mgr said "Sure, but it's an extra $50 per month". This was in
addition to the normal annual rent increase.

I asked how I was causing them extra expense by asking for 6 months

instead
of another year. Response: "Well, sir, that covers the cost of continuing

service you".

Next day, their entire maintenance staff quit. Third time in 18 months.

:-)

Good luck on the house, looks like your life is looking good.

My stepdaughter had an apartment and at the end of the lease she wanted
to move to a different one in the same complex. The management told her
she had to keep the same aprtment.
She moved out.

Too bad apartments aren't a word-of-mouth kind of business. My complex would
be empty if that were the case. Another story: My balcony has screens, but
my neighbor's has glass. When the ice around the gutters reached its worst
point a few weeks back, the neighbor, an old lady, ended up with a leak
which travelled from the roof of her balcony into her living room, soaking
half of the carpet. The leak went through her floor and ruined the
neighbor's ceiling and carpet downstairs. Being a former homeowner, I knew
the value of standing in one place with a beer and just looking at a
problem. My balcony was frozen. Hers was melting. I went over to the office,
tapped the maintenance turkey on the shoulder and said "If you took the
glass off her balcony, I think its interior walls would freeze and stop the
water dead in its tracks. It's probably the reason I don't have water
problems". He said "I dunno....that don't sound right". I said "Well...it'll
cost you 10 minutes with a ladder and a screwdriver and someone to spot you,
compared to 600 sq feet of carpet and a whole lotta sheetrock". Anyway, I
ran into him the next day. He said he took a look and decided the theory
didn't make sense. The leak continued for 2 more weeks. :-)

RichG

I certainly agree you've been given the run around.

Now, if Teleflex had said that the correct part is ...."not available"
anywhere, any place, any price...then Overton could fall back on some
semblance of just normal ineptitude on the catalog writer. But, since
Teleflex made it clear what product would fit, and that it Was available....
I'd have to argue that it is NOT totally your fault .

The restocking fee is often correctly used to keep dufusses from ordering
any old thing and then returning it willy nilly. That is NOT the case here.
You were mis-lead by their catalog. I'd be writing the CEO ( I've done this
in the past and you'd be surprised how often they don't know what crap their
departments are giving out to the customers).

Bet you'll get a better response.--

RichG
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Chief3mfc

I was the Sea star. I was using it on a '85 Johnson V6.
The cylinder I needed is a rear mount cylinder. The kit is supplied with a
front mount that will only work on the later models.

On 08 Mar 2004 19:30:40 GMT, chief3mfc wrote:
I was the Sea star. I was using it on a '85 Johnson V6.
The cylinder I needed is a rear mount cylinder. The kit is supplied with a
front mount that will only work on the later models.

There's no way an average internet/mail order shopper can be expected
to make an informed decision without having that sort of critical
information at hand. And it's hard to believe Overton's hasn't run
across this exact situation dozens of times by now. IMHO, you have a
legitimate complaint. A reputable company will not only make it right
for you, but will immediately correct the info section of their ad to
prevent it from happening over and over again.
I suggest you do what you can to help them with their reputation ;-)
And thanks for bringing this up. I'm going with hydraulic steering at
some point soon and I might have made the same mistake. Let us know if
Overton's makes it right or not.

Rick
tstefanski^^@ameritech.net

I had a somewhat similar experience with Teleflex parts. There is no excuse
for the treatment you received from Overton's, but a few years ago Teleflex
canned all of their small distributors and went only with a few national
distributors. They pretty much all carry the main and kit items that are
15% of the total parts but 80% of the sales volume. Teleflex steering
systems list thousands of other parts that fit the basic components to the
many and varied applications, but if you need one of the other 85% of the
parts not carried in distribution, you are pretty much screwed. I could not
find any major distributor that was willing to do a special order for a part
that was not in the distributors stock list. I did not need anything so
complex as a hydraulic cylinder. I worked directly with Teleflex customer
service and got the same response (the parts are available, but you have to
buy them through a distributor...), but when I went through their list of
distributors and could find NO ONE to special order the parts for me, they
sent me the CAD files for the spacers and brakets I needed, and I machined
them up myself.

Hope things work out for you.

Terry
rock_doctor

snip...

You need to sit down and write a detailed (emotionless) paper letter and
send it to the owner at Overtons. It is owned by a family who does not want
to loose your business. A lot of times internet and catalog sales are
handled by an outside company, who say they are part of the company but are
just a outside vender who really have no power what so ever. I bet if you
do this they will make it right as the error is theirs. You share no blame
unless the information was in the catalog or on the internet. You as their
customer can not be expected to contact Teleflex to find the correct part
numbers. You expect Overtons to supply the correct and all necessary
information for ordering as they are the Teleflex representatives. Even if
Teleflex did charge a restocking charge it should be picked up by Overtons
as well as the return shipping. Remembering it was their error not yours.
You can also go to the attorney generals office and file a dispute. You
have nothing to loose but I would contact the owner first and appeal to him
saying you and you fishing buddies are a long term customer and you would
like to work this out and maintain a friendly relationship. $200 bucks to
them is small potatoes but to you it is enough to cost them business...
Keep all paperwork and in the end file the complaint and talk to your CC
dispute resolution personal. A lot of time the CC like it when the customer
goes to the AG's office as they will do the leg work and the CC and just sit
back and watch until the AG's office asks for help. Generally you can find
the paperwork and address for the AG office in the home state of Overtons by
looking on the web.

Good luck,
mark