Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Chief3mfc

Default My Bad Experience With Overton's (long)

Hi All,
I wanted to pass this along in hopes that none else gets burned like I did.
I have a loving restored 78 Sportcraft 20' cuddy. Last season I added a
jackplate to address a porpising issue. Because of the 8" setback, the steering
cable couldn't make the bend. The last thing I wanted to do was drill a hole in
the transom I worked so hard to replace. So my thoughts turned to hydraulic
steering. I combed the web and the best price was Overton's.
Now, we all know that cable steering is pretty much universal. What works on a
Merc., will work on a Honda, will work on a Johnnyrude, etc. There were no
applications or model restrictions on Overton's web catalog, so I ordered a
Teleflex system from the website. It was a drop-ship direct from Teleflex with
a 14 day turnaround.
The 14 days become 35 and it arrives. The first thing I notice is a big
red sticker on the outside of the box stating that "This unit will not work on
the following motors....". Wanna guess what is the first motor on the list?
Yep, mine.
So I get on the phone. The sticker provides the part number for the steering
cylinder that I need, so I'm thinking that this can work out somehow. Heck, I
didn't even have to open the box. Even if I have to buy the correct cylinder
outright, and send the wrong one back. I even entertain the idea of buying the
right one and selling the other one on eBay. If nothing else, I'm an optomist.
Well, Overton's Customer NoService girl has no clue what I'm talking
about, so she transfers me to one of their technical guys. Turns out he dosn't
either. I explain the sticker and tell him what cylinder I need. He says that
part isn't available. He gives me the phone number for Teleflex and wishes me
well.
So now I call Teleflex Canada and the nice lady tells me that, "Yes that
cylinder IS available" and "Yes they can order it, but I can't. You must go
through a dealer.".
Now I'm back on the phone with Customer NoService again. I again explain
my predicament and my need for the elusive rear mount cylinder. She tells me
that they can't help me and gives me directions for returning the kit.(At my
expense).
Because it arrived packed in an outer box, I wrapped the box in brown paper and
packed it in an outer box and took it to UPS.
Two weeks later I call to make sure that it arrived and they were going to
issue a credit to my card. I am told that it arrived, and they credited my
account. LESS A RESTOCKING FEE. Now had this been a $50 or $100.00 item, I
probably would have let it go, but this was nearly $1,000.00! The fee was
$129.00! This dosn't include the $55.00 to ship it both ways!
After I was done sputtering and my blood pressure leveled off, I explained
that this was hardly my fault, and had they provided the neccessary application
info on thier web catalog, this would have never occured. Her reply was, and
this is an exact quote: " Well sir, if I was going to spend $1,00.00 on
something, I would be more careful." GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
I asked to speak to her supervisor. I explained it all again in lurid
detail and expressed my outrage with the smarta$$ed remark about my consumer
habits. Ms. Supervisor told me she would look into it and get back to me.
Two weeks later, still no call. I call back to find out that, yes, I am
screwed. They will keep my money for nothing and Thank You For Shopping
Overton's.
I hope that they enjoy that $184.00 that they got from me. Throw a party
for the Customer NoService department or something like that because it is the
last money they will get from me. In fact, if they were giving stuff away free,
I would take a pass.
Now, to be fair about this, I am not without blame here. I should have
done more research about the item and been a more informed consumer. My bad for
trusting that the catalog would have all the info I needed. And had the
restocking fee been more resonable I would have probably taken my licks and
chalked it up to life experience. But I can't help but wonder how long I would
be in business if I charged my customers for doing nothing.
I'm not posting this to try to convince anyone to not do business with
these folks. All I am trying to do is make everyone aware of this: If you
choose to buy it from Overton's, make sure you do your homework, or it will
cost you.
Now if you will excuse me, I have to go drill a hole in my transom.

Cliff