Doug Kanter

Default My Bad Experience With Overton's (long)

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:44:16 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

There must be a school somewhere that churns out people like the ones you
dealt with. Sounds like my apartment complex: At the end of my second

year,
I asked if I could renew the lease for just 6 months, since I'm buying a
house. The mgr said "Sure, but it's an extra $50 per month". This was in
addition to the normal annual rent increase.

I asked how I was causing them extra expense by asking for 6 months

instead
of another year. Response: "Well, sir, that covers the cost of continuing

service you".

Next day, their entire maintenance staff quit. Third time in 18 months.

:-)

Good luck on the house, looks like your life is looking good.

My stepdaughter had an apartment and at the end of the lease she wanted
to move to a different one in the same complex. The management told her
she had to keep the same aprtment.
She moved out.

Too bad apartments aren't a word-of-mouth kind of business. My complex would
be empty if that were the case. Another story: My balcony has screens, but
my neighbor's has glass. When the ice around the gutters reached its worst
point a few weeks back, the neighbor, an old lady, ended up with a leak
which travelled from the roof of her balcony into her living room, soaking
half of the carpet. The leak went through her floor and ruined the
neighbor's ceiling and carpet downstairs. Being a former homeowner, I knew
the value of standing in one place with a beer and just looking at a
problem. My balcony was frozen. Hers was melting. I went over to the office,
tapped the maintenance turkey on the shoulder and said "If you took the
glass off her balcony, I think its interior walls would freeze and stop the
water dead in its tracks. It's probably the reason I don't have water
problems". He said "I dunno....that don't sound right". I said "Well...it'll
cost you 10 minutes with a ladder and a screwdriver and someone to spot you,
compared to 600 sq feet of carpet and a whole lotta sheetrock". Anyway, I
ran into him the next day. He said he took a look and decided the theory
didn't make sense. The leak continued for 2 more weeks. :-)