JGK

Default Is an upgrade worth the Cost"

I have a 1999 Merc 125, Have not really been happy about its performance or
reliability.
I would like to upgrade it to a 150HP but not sure if I should stick to
Mercury. A few questions on this:
1. If you were upgrading to a 150 HP engine, which one would you look at?
2. What can I expect to get for the 1999 Merc 125
Thanks

Tony Thomas

Depends on the boat your using this on. The 125 is not a very good engine
in my opinion. It has that jump from about 1500 rpms to 3000 rpms. It was
designed for a bass boat or small runabout application where you would not
be trying to run at very low speeds. Again, what boat and what is it rated
for. You just found out why I always recommend the max hp for a boat.
As for value of that engine. You are not going to be happy w/ the trade
value. Probably about $3500 at best.
Go w/ either Merc or Yamaha EFI. Depends on the dealer in your area as both
are very good engines.

Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"JGK" wrote in message
.. .
I have a 1999 Merc 125, Have not really been happy about its performance

or
reliability.
I would like to upgrade it to a 150HP but not sure if I should stick to
Mercury. A few questions on this:
1. If you were upgrading to a 150 HP engine, which one would you look at?
2. What can I expect to get for the 1999 Merc 125
Thanks

del cecchi

"JGK" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"JGK" wrote in message
.. .
I have a 1999 Merc 125, Have not really been happy about its

performance
or
reliability.
I would like to upgrade it to a 150HP but not sure if I should

stick to
Mercury. A few questions on this:
1. If you were upgrading to a 150 HP engine, which one would you

look
at?
2. What can I expect to get for the 1999 Merc 125
Thanks

I think that the price on the 150 XR6 is about 7000. How much faster do
you expect to go with a 150 over a 125?

Tony Thomas

The 150 uses a completely different design and powerhead. It will produce a
lot more torque and probably 10 mph top end speed difference. I would
recommend you go for it in the long run if you like the boat and plan on
keeping it.
Now, not sure what you mean by dependability. The 125 should not be giving
you and problems in terms of maintenance or down time. Please give details
if you are having a problem. Should be solvable.

Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"JGK" wrote in message
. ..
Not about speed... more about dependability

"del cecchi" wrote in message

"JGK" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"JGK" wrote in message
.. .
I have a 1999 Merc 125, Have not really been happy about its
performance
or
reliability.
I would like to upgrade it to a 150HP but not sure if I should

stick to
Mercury. A few questions on this:
1. If you were upgrading to a 150 HP engine, which one would you

look
at?
2. What can I expect to get for the 1999 Merc 125
Thanks

I think that the price on the 150 XR6 is about 7000. How much faster do
you expect to go with a 150 over a 125?

JGK

The 150 uses a completely different design and powerhead. It will produce

lot more torque and probably 10 mph top end speed difference. I would
recommend you go for it in the long run if you like the boat and plan on
keeping it.
Now, not sure what you mean by dependability. The 125 should not be

giving
you and problems in terms of maintenance or down time. Please give

details
if you are having a problem. Should be solvable.

Since I have had the boat, I bought it new in 1999, I have had to rebuild
the carbs, the dealer claimed the gas gummed them up, The stator/rectifier
went out, Tach did not work but Voltage gauge was still showing 13+ volts,
impellors, last one only lasted 4 months. all work was done at a Merc
factory Dealership. Not to mention the engine still runs rougher than I
think it should and hesitates on take off.

del cecchi

"JGK" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I've got the same motor (115 version). It is a 2+2, so if that bothers
you, then by all means upgrade. It will be worth the few thousand to
not be p.o.'d all the time. Carbs, impellers, stator, etc can happen to
any motor. There is nothing unique about the 125.

On the other hand, I wonder about that dealer. My motor is a 98, and I
have not yet had gummed up carbs. The impeller is original. I keep
asking the dealer and he says they last a long time in clean Minnesota
water. Sounds like the dealer screwed up the impeller. About the
carbs, how do you prepare for storage? Where do you live?

del cecchi

JGK

No Storage...I live in South Florida and the boats sees the water at least
once a month year round.. The dealer told me it was bad gas and not under
warranty. I think the longest it went just sitting was about 60 days.

"del cecchi" wrote in message

"JGK" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

del cecchi

"JGK" wrote in message
.. .
No Storage...I live in South Florida and the boats sees the water at

least
once a month year round.. The dealer told me it was bad gas and not

under
warranty. I think the longest it went just sitting was about 60 days.

"del cecchi" wrote in message

"JGK" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

OK. I have heard that with today's "reformulated gasoline" that letting
it sit for a month or two, especially in heat and high humidity, can
cause problems. And it may be that salt water and maybe a little sand
are hard on impellers. I'd at least consider another dealer.

del cecchi