Tony Thomas

Default Is an upgrade worth the Cost"

The 150 uses a completely different design and powerhead. It will produce a
lot more torque and probably 10 mph top end speed difference. I would
recommend you go for it in the long run if you like the boat and plan on
keeping it.
Now, not sure what you mean by dependability. The 125 should not be giving
you and problems in terms of maintenance or down time. Please give details
if you are having a problem. Should be solvable.

Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"JGK" wrote in message
. ..
Not about speed... more about dependability

"del cecchi" wrote in message

"JGK" wrote in message
. ..
The boat is a 19ft Pro-line Center Console, Max Rated hp is 150.

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
Depends on the boat your using this on. The 125 is not a very good

engine
in my opinion. It has that jump from about 1500 rpms to 3000 rpms.

It
was
designed for a bass boat or small runabout application where you

would not
be trying to run at very low speeds. Again, what boat and what is

it
rated
for. You just found out why I always recommend the max hp for a

boat.
As for value of that engine. You are not going to be happy w/ the

trade
value. Probably about $3500 at best.
Go w/ either Merc or Yamaha EFI. Depends on the dealer in your area

as
both
are very good engines.

Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"JGK" wrote in message
.. .
I have a 1999 Merc 125, Have not really been happy about its
performance
or
reliability.
I would like to upgrade it to a 150HP but not sure if I should

stick to
Mercury. A few questions on this:
1. If you were upgrading to a 150 HP engine, which one would you

look
at?
2. What can I expect to get for the 1999 Merc 125
Thanks

I think that the price on the 150 XR6 is about 7000. How much faster do
you expect to go with a 150 over a 125?