Dave

Default ALUMALOY: any experience?

I saw a TV add for a new product that supposedly makes welding repairs to
aluminum much easier; it's called ALUMALOY. It's like a brazing rod,
requires no flux of any kind, and only requires propane gas temperature.
Almost seems too good to be true ... anyone out there have any experience
with this stuff?

Same company also makes a similar product for stell and cast-iron; however,
in these cases, a type of flux is required.

-- Dave

Ian Malcolm

wrote:
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:50:04 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

I saw a TV add for a new product that supposedly makes welding repairs to
aluminum much easier; it's called ALUMALOY. It's like a brazing rod,
requires no flux of any kind, and only requires propane gas temperature.
Almost seems too good to be true ... anyone out there have any experience
with this stuff?

Same company also makes a similar product for stell and cast-iron; however,
in these cases, a type of flux is required.

-- Dave

Well, bog standard aluminum melts at betweeen 900 and 1100 degrees. It's very
hard to do with a torch of any sort, because the metal doesn't give any warning
before it melts like steel does. It doesn't glow red first. It just suddenly
goes molten. I have succesfully torch welded aluminum by first making a flame
that was mostly acetelyne so I could deposit a layer of soot on the material.
Then I cranked up a proper flame and did my work, knowing that the soot would
burn off at a tempurature just barely lower than when aluminum gets all runny.
In other words, welding aluminum with a torch is not really something to do
other than in a dire emergency.

Add to that the fact that not all aluminum is suitable for marine use, and I'd
say forget it.

BB

I belive that stuff is pure Zinc, or possibly a Zinc alloy with some
Aluminium in. A friend got some to try as an alternative to welding
sheet aluminium. Results weren't that great, but usable for his
application. You wouldbt catch me using it on any part of a boat that
might get wet! :-)

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Uffa Fox designed, All varnished hot
moulded wooden racing dinghy circa. 1961

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:23:54 GMT, wrote:

[...]

Which brings up a question - when they rebuilt aluminum props, are the
propeller blades recast?

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"Fisherman are born honest, but they get
over it." - Ed Zern
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:50:04 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

I saw a TV add for a new product that supposedly makes welding repairs to
aluminum much easier; it's called ALUMALOY. It's like a brazing rod,
requires no flux of any kind, and only requires propane gas temperature.
Almost seems too good to be true ... anyone out there have any experience
with this stuff?

I saw that ad and talked to a couple of guys at the local fab shop -
it's similar to acid core colder.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"Fisherman are born honest, but they get
over it." - Ed Zern
Calif Bill

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:50:04 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

I saw a TV add for a new product that supposedly makes welding repairs to
aluminum much easier; it's called ALUMALOY. It's like a brazing rod,
requires no flux of any kind, and only requires propane gas temperature.
Almost seems too good to be true ... anyone out there have any experience
with this stuff?

I saw that ad and talked to a couple of guys at the local fab shop -
it's similar to acid core colder.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"Fisherman are born honest, but they get
over it." - Ed Zern

The stuff has been around for years. Maybe 20? You see it at the county /
state fair at times. They weld beer cans together. I have heard that it
takes a lot of practice to make a good strong joint (Harry probably has lots
of experience with some joints). I do not think it would make a very good
weld on any thick material.

mike hicks

"Dave" wrote in :

I saw a TV add for a new product that supposedly makes welding repairs
to aluminum much easier; it's called ALUMALOY. It's like a brazing
rod, requires no flux of any kind, and only requires propane gas
temperature. Almost seems too good to be true ... anyone out there
have any experience with this stuff?

Same company also makes a similar product for stell and cast-iron;
however, in these cases, a type of flux is required.

-- Dave

Oh man I LOVE that commercial. The lady who does the voice-over has an
almost hypnotic voice. I've got to get it on tape for the occasional bouts
of insomnia - she'll put me right to sleep. Of course when I wake up I'll
want to by some Alumaloy!! There is no way on Earth that stuff works - it
looks good in the commercial though. Or maybe I was just hypnotized into
THINKING it looked good....
Capt Frank Hopkins

I asked my maintenace guys about Alumaloy. They pulled out a package of
the stuff. I was told it is for making emergency repairs, but it won't hold
very long, nor very strong. For permament welds there is no replacement for
a proper welder. At least acording to my shop foreman.
--
Capt. Frank

__c
\ _ | \_