bhtiek

Default Any experience with Rebuilt Inboard Marine Engines?

I need a rebuilt Chevy 350 Engine for my boat.
Does anybody have any information about the engines sold at

http://www.RebuiltMarineEngines.com

They look like their built pretty well and have a great warranty.

What else should I look for? Shipping, Warranty, Parts, ????

Thanks

I know a mechanic that regularly uses Jasper rebuilt engines for a fleet of
linen trucks and he swears by them. I think they do marine rebuilds too,
might be worth a look. Anyone else have any experience using them?

http://www.jasperengines.com/

"bhtiek" wrote in message
m...
I need a rebuilt Chevy 350 Engine for my boat.
Does anybody have any information about the engines sold at

http://www.RebuiltMarineEngines.com

They look like their built pretty well and have a great warranty.

What else should I look for? Shipping, Warranty, Parts, ????

Thanks

Capt. Frank Hopkins

I have used Rockey Mountain Engines before. Good warranty!. Never needed
it.

Just make sure you have a GOOD mechanic to install it. I had mech-e-neck
at a local marina screw up a new install so bad the engine blew in 4.3
hours by the hobbs.. Wouldn't warranty his work either.

Capt Frank

bhtiek wrote:

I need a rebuilt Chevy 350 Engine for my boat.
Does anybody have any information about the engines sold at

http://www.RebuiltMarineEngines.com

They look like their built pretty well and have a great warranty.

What else should I look for? Shipping, Warranty, Parts, ????

Thanks

Paul Schilter

Frank,
That sucks, sorry to hear it. What would you do in the future? Look for
an outfit that guarantee's it's work. Do any of them do that? I guess suing
this outfit wouldn't be worth it.
Paul

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I have used Rockey Mountain Engines before. Good warranty!. Never needed
it.

Just make sure you have a GOOD mechanic to install it. I had mech-e-neck
at a local marina screw up a new install so bad the engine blew in 4.3
hours by the hobbs.. Wouldn't warranty his work either.

Capt Frank

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi Paul,

In the "future" I found a reputable marine mechanic. I allow this man to
work on all my commercial vessels and my personal boat as well. I would
not hesitate to recommend him to anyone. He is a mercruiser certified
repair shop, and even has a dyno.

Call him (don't email) for any parts needs you may have. He has quite a
collection of outdrive and engine components. (He once sold me a rebuilt
alpha 1 drive complete for $750.00!)

Westside Marine
6964 W. 12th Street
Jacksonville, Florida 32220
Phone: 904-695-2756
Fax: 904-695-2726

http://www.westsidemarine1.com
Regards,

Capt. Frank Hopkins

silvermandrel/antivirus/.netscape.net
remove /antivirus/ to email me

See my personal website for child and pet safety and St. Johns River info.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Paul Schilter wrote:

Frank,
That sucks, sorry to hear it. What would you do in the future? Look for
an outfit that guarantee's it's work. Do any of them do that? I guess suing
this outfit wouldn't be worth it.
Paul

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
hlink.net...

I have used Rockey Mountain Engines before. Good warranty!. Never needed
it.

Just make sure you have a GOOD mechanic to install it. I had mech-e-neck
at a local marina screw up a new install so bad the engine blew in 4.3
hours by the hobbs.. Wouldn't warranty his work either.

Capt Frank

John

Paul Schilter wrote:

Frank,
That sucks, sorry to hear it. What would you do in the future? Look for
an outfit that guarantee's it's work. Do any of them do that? I guess suing
this outfit wouldn't be worth it.
Paul

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
hlink.net...

I have used Rockey Mountain Engines before. Good warranty!. Never needed
it.

Just make sure you have a GOOD mechanic to install it. I had mech-e-neck
at a local marina screw up a new install so bad the engine blew in 4.3
hours by the hobbs.. Wouldn't warranty his work either.

Capt Frank

When we're talking about gas engines, a properly re-machined and
re-built engine is better than a brand new one. Engine blocks have
stress built into their castings simply due to the molding process
they go through. Over time, that stress works it's way out, in the
form of things no longer aligning up. When re-machined everything is
now "true" and will stay that way. The problem with re-builds is that
the end results are a function of the re-builder, and just how much
they put into the engine. If they re-machine the block, re-condition
the crank and connecting rods, hone the bores properly, re-build the
heads properly, and use high quality parts, you'll never have a
problem with the engine. But if they skimp on machining and re-use
lots of parts that should be replaced, it will show. So choose your
re-builder carefully is the best advice I can give.
Paul Schilter

Capt. Frank,

Thanks for the tip, I book marked it.
So does this gentleman have a guarantee on his work? I guess the question
is, "Should you look for a written guarantee, or isn't this commonly done in
the boat repair industry?"