Don White

Default Starting a new newsgroup?

Don't forget to mention those 'vinyl women' you tend to frequent ;-)

Lloyd Sumpter wrote in message
news
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:20:22 +0000, Gould 0738 wrote:

The "Gang of Seven" should go to jail for 90-days, and see if it
improves rec.boats.
There are seven personalities here causing most of the trouble. While
the number of people involved in the general ruckus certainly exceeds
seven, it is my opinion that the following posters, (listed in
alphabetical order), are primarily responsible for the increasingly
nasty tone and OT content of rec.boats. Others not listed below are
merely co-dependent:

Hey, once again I miss the list! Canadians can be assholes too, you
know! We demand equal time!

lsumpter: Renegade from some northern place. Hates everything about the
US, even the good things. Doesn't know when to shut up. Buys old boats and
fixes them with baling-wire, and complains if anyone gives him advice.
Unknown if he actually goes out in any of his boats: unlikely, since the
water is frozen 11 months/year there. Has been known to agree with, or

even
praise, other rabblerousers like Harry, Chuck and Butch. Rumored to be a
Baby-eating Satanist (or at least a pagan - same thing, isn't it?).

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - stuck in the ice...err...engineless!

Doug Kanter

If there were only boating messages posted here, would you read every single
one of them?

"QLW" wrote in message
It's plainly obvious that this newsgroup has become almost useless as a
boating forum. Rec.cruising, rec.boats.building and alt.sailing are good
but there is also a need for a general boating forum where one does not

have
to wade through all of the political crap and in-fighting posted here. I
can't figure out why people insist on doing this...but they do! So how is

new news group formed? To bad we can't make this one moderated to limit

the
content to boating related topics.
Quinton

del cecchi

[...]

I have just decided to killfile those folks whose posts are mostly ot.
eventually, either I run out of posters or I get to where the posts I
see are mostly on topic. I try very hard to only post on topic.

del cecchi

QLW

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
If there were only boating messages posted here, would you read every

single
one of them?

No, I'd probably only look at the ones that looked interesting to me. But
at least I'd only have to go through a short selection process. Your point
is?
Quinton

"QLW" wrote in message
It's plainly obvious that this newsgroup has become almost useless as a
boating forum. Rec.cruising, rec.boats.building and alt.sailing are

good
but there is also a need for a general boating forum where one does not

have
to wade through all of the political crap and in-fighting posted here.

can't figure out why people insist on doing this...but they do! So how

is
new news group formed? To bad we can't make this one moderated to limit

the
content to boating related topics.
Quinton

Doug Kanter

"QLW" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
If there were only boating messages posted here, would you read every

single
one of them?

No, I'd probably only look at the ones that looked interesting to me. But
at least I'd only have to go through a short selection process. Your

point
is?
Quinton

My point is that you seem to have mastered the concept of "not looking",
which is why we can drive down a busy street 100 times and not notice a new
business that's opened until someone mentions it to us.

Jim--

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
The "Gang of Seven" should go to jail for 90-days, and see if it improves
rec.boats.
There are seven personalities here causing most of the trouble. While the
number of people involved in the general ruckus certainly exceeds seven,

it is
my opinion that the following posters, (listed in alphabetical order), are
primarily responsible for the increasingly nasty tone and OT content of
rec.boats. Others not listed below are merely co-dependent:

Gould0738: May know a little about boats, but contributes to general

chaos.
Starts few OT threads, but participates freely. Encourages the liberals

and p's
off the conservatives. He can be extremely vindictive. Seldom wins or

loses
graciously. This reckless, maverick, self centered personality bends

and/or
disregards most rules that others rely on to establish social structure.

His
free-for-all attitudes are generally incompatible with the NG format.

Harry Krause: A perpetual troublemaker who views rec.boats as a personal
playground. Talks "down" to everybody even when not trying to do so. A

major
originator of OT posts. In common with the other members of the gang of

seven,
he puts his own need to express opinions and
argue points above the general welfare of the group.

Jim: Has appeared in rec.boats as at least two separate personalities,

both of
them
extremely combative. Contributes to the negative atmosphere by firing off

cheap
insults at posters he disagrees with. Has very little actual boating
experience, and virtually never contributes anything on topic. Once said

"I
come to rec.boats just to stir up trouble. I go elsewhere for real boating
newsgroups".

jps: A relentless cutter-and-paster of newspaper articles critical of

George
Bush
and the right wing in general. Possibly feels that his behavior is

justified
because of the ready audience he finds in the NG.
A source of much of the OT material in the NG.

Karen Smith: owns all or part of a boatyard
in Australia. Visits rec.boats primarily to argue and call names. When the
group was more on-topic, she demonized everyone (else) involved in the

marine
business. Now that the group has devolved to more off-topic material, she

has
decided that she's really a displaced American conservative (and that the

evil
enemies are all the liberals in the world), so the names and the flames

can
continue undiminished.

NOYB: A fledgling dentist from Naples, FLA, who is listed as a participant

in a
few dozen newsgroups. Not sure he owns a boat. Never posts on topic. He is

the
counter-point to jps, cutting and pasting general news articles favorable

George Bush and the right wing in general. Most honest, and likely the

most
extreme of all rec.boats conservatives. A major author of OT threads.

Wally: A lesser version of the Jim/Dennis Compton profile.Typical post is

two
lines of insulting response to an OT comment. Contributes very little as

far as
the nominal topic goes, but adds significantly to the combative,

adversarial
atmosphere in the NG. Unable to engage in civil debate. Has no ability to
respect contrasting opinion. He may well be fairly intelligent, but fails

present as such in this format.

Anyhow, I think this is such a good idea and holds such promise that I

hereby
adopt it. I'm out of here for at least 90-days
(leaving you all with a gang of only six) and by my example I challenge my
fellow trouble makers to do the same.

If I check back at the end of that time it will be interesting to see if

any of
the other trouble makers agreed with my suggestion for a time out, and

whether
the group improves in tone or content as a result.

(There will be very little point in flaming my comments above......I won't

be
around to read your remarks. If you're included in my list and need to get
"even", send me an e-mail. Thanks)

Sadly, your plan fell on deaf ears to most, including most of the offenders
not on you list of 7.

Griss

Don't be silly. Just set up a few filters and you won't have any problems.
I have about 20 or 30 subject terms filtered out and don't have any problems
with this newsgroup. It took about 10 minutes. Big deal.

Grissy

Rod McInnis

"noah" wrote in message

I don't know "who" you are Rod, but you have it right. Mostly.

I have been an active participant in rec.boats since '92. As I said before,
I was part of the committee that created rec.boats.sailing and
rec.boats.cruising.

Once a group is established, it will not be changed to "moderated".

It is possible, but very unlikely. When a group is first proposed, the
controversy of moderation is often enough to prevent its creation. Once a
group has been established, changing its charter would be monumentally more
difficult.

New groups can be formed,
but you'd better have a damned good reason, and a lot of support.

Yep.

Rod McInnis