John H

Default Starting a new newsgroup?

On 13 Jan 2004 17:20:22 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

The "Gang of Seven" should go to jail for 90-days, and see if it improves
rec.boats.
There are seven personalities here causing most of the trouble. While the
number of people involved in the general ruckus certainly exceeds seven, it is
my opinion that the following posters, (listed in alphabetical order), are
primarily responsible for the increasingly nasty tone and OT content of
rec.boats. Others not listed below are merely co-dependent:

Gould0738: May know a little about boats, but contributes to general chaos.
Starts few OT threads, but participates freely. Encourages the liberals and p's
off the conservatives. He can be extremely vindictive. Seldom wins or loses
graciously. This reckless, maverick, self centered personality bends and/or
disregards most rules that others rely on to establish social structure. His
free-for-all attitudes are generally incompatible with the NG format.

Harry Krause: A perpetual troublemaker who views rec.boats as a personal
playground. Talks "down" to everybody even when not trying to do so. A major
originator of OT posts. In common with the other members of the gang of seven,
he puts his own need to express opinions and
argue points above the general welfare of the group.

Jim: Has appeared in rec.boats as at least two separate personalities, both of
them
extremely combative. Contributes to the negative atmosphere by firing off cheap
insults at posters he disagrees with. Has very little actual boating
experience, and virtually never contributes anything on topic. Once said "I
come to rec.boats just to stir up trouble. I go elsewhere for real boating
newsgroups".

jps: A relentless cutter-and-paster of newspaper articles critical of George
Bush
and the right wing in general. Possibly feels that his behavior is justified
because of the ready audience he finds in the NG.
A source of much of the OT material in the NG.

Karen Smith: owns all or part of a boatyard
in Australia. Visits rec.boats primarily to argue and call names. When the
group was more on-topic, she demonized everyone (else) involved in the marine
business. Now that the group has devolved to more off-topic material, she has
decided that she's really a displaced American conservative (and that the evil
enemies are all the liberals in the world), so the names and the flames can
continue undiminished.

NOYB: A fledgling dentist from Naples, FLA, who is listed as a participant in a
few dozen newsgroups. Not sure he owns a boat. Never posts on topic. He is the
counter-point to jps, cutting and pasting general news articles favorable to
George Bush and the right wing in general. Most honest, and likely the most
extreme of all rec.boats conservatives. A major author of OT threads.

Wally: A lesser version of the Jim/Dennis Compton profile.Typical post is two
lines of insulting response to an OT comment. Contributes very little as far as
the nominal topic goes, but adds significantly to the combative, adversarial
atmosphere in the NG. Unable to engage in civil debate. Has no ability to
respect contrasting opinion. He may well be fairly intelligent, but fails to
present as such in this format.

Anyhow, I think this is such a good idea and holds such promise that I hereby
adopt it. I'm out of here for at least 90-days
(leaving you all with a gang of only six) and by my example I challenge my
fellow trouble makers to do the same.

If I check back at the end of that time it will be interesting to see if any of
the other trouble makers agreed with my suggestion for a time out, and whether
the group improves in tone or content as a result.

(There will be very little point in flaming my comments above......I won't be
around to read your remarks. If you're included in my list and need to get
"even", send me an e-mail. Thanks)

Well, there will go at least half of my posts! Good post, Chuck. You
have yet to **** me off, so I must not be a conservative!

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Wayne.B

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:15:08 -0500, John H
wrote:

Well, there will go at least half of my posts! Good post, Chuck. You
have yet to **** me off, so I must not be a conservative!

Chuck is a good example of someone who can disagree without being
disagreeable.

It's an art that others here should strive to perfect, on topic or
off.

Jim--

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

Pot-kettle-black

Contributes to the negative atmosphere by firing off cheap
insults at posters he disagrees with.

Actually Chuck, to the contrary, I point out those left wingers who insult
those they are responding to instead of addressing the issues at hand.
Please point me to the cheap insults I fire off at people I disagree with.

Has very little actual boating experience,

LOL! 25+ years is certainly not "very little".

Glad you were honest about yourself. Add bb and Doug Kanter to the list
also. ;-)

See you around in 3 months Chuck.

Jim--

"Jim--" wrote in message

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

BTW: I will take your challenge, provided you, harry krause, basskisser,
bb, jps and doug kanter do the same. ;-)

Dave Hall

[...]

Geeze, I'm hurt. I didn't make the cut ;-). Maybe I need to post more?

Dave

Jim--

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
[...]

Don't feel bad. I really don't post here a lot compared to the others. I
guess am on the list as Chuck generally does not like me....you see, I am
always proving him wrong. ;-)

Butch Ammon

Geeze, I'm hurt. I didn't make the cut ;-). Maybe I need to post more?

Dave

I'm not sure. I think Chuck's original post was along the lines of "Who's the
biggest a**hole on rec.boats? - take a vote". The winner gets to take his
buddies with him and be banished for 90 days.

Butch Ammon
Charles

Gould 0738 wrote:

Anyhow, I think this is such a good idea and holds such promise that I hereby
adopt it. I'm out of here for at least 90-days
(leaving you all with a gang of only six) and by my example I challenge my
fellow trouble makers to do the same.

You've sworn off OT posting before, gould yet you utimately end up as
one of the worst offenders.

You "leave" with a post that flames certain people, yet soft-pedals the
single biggest asshole in the newsgroup.

Good ridance. Clean up your act while you're away.

-- Charlie

K Smith

Gould 0738 wrote:

Genuinely sorry to see chuckles go & will email to tell him so, I
suggest any other who feel the same might let him know??

Lee if you do go ahead thanks in advance & I'll have a go at
registering, if that's OK:-)

Just a suggestion?? I suspect "some" of the trouble with other
moderated groups is that the moderators seem to be inconsistent or
partisan?? Clearly anyone who gets a post chucked always say they're
hard done by, but maybe a short set of fairly concise guidelines
(rules)?? So when the moderator moderates, they also specify under which
of the guidelines they have done so??

Possibly exceeding my remit but the guidelines themselves; might
initially anyway be written by the group itself?? just by simple vote?

Anyway good luck with it & to the extent I've contributed to the errant
behaviour I apologise, note I rarely "start" a thread & if others didn't
post OT gobbldegook well ......

Best regards,

[...]

Lloyd Sumpter

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:20:22 +0000, Gould 0738 wrote:

The "Gang of Seven" should go to jail for 90-days, and see if it
improves rec.boats.
There are seven personalities here causing most of the trouble. While
the number of people involved in the general ruckus certainly exceeds
seven, it is my opinion that the following posters, (listed in
alphabetical order), are primarily responsible for the increasingly
nasty tone and OT content of rec.boats. Others not listed below are
merely co-dependent:

Hey, once again I miss the list! Canadians can be assholes too, you
know! We demand equal time!

lsumpter: Renegade from some northern place. Hates everything about the
US, even the good things. Doesn't know when to shut up. Buys old boats and
fixes them with baling-wire, and complains if anyone gives him advice.
Unknown if he actually goes out in any of his boats: unlikely, since the
water is frozen 11 months/year there. Has been known to agree with, or even
praise, other rabblerousers like Harry, Chuck and Butch. Rumored to be a
Baby-eating Satanist (or at least a pagan - same thing, isn't it?).

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - stuck in the ice...err...engineless!