Doug Kanter

Start selling covered calls on McDonald's.

"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast dot net wrote in message
NOYB,
Well I'm glad for you that your stock has been doing well, wish I

could
say the same.
Paul

"NOYB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast dot net wrote in message
NOYB,
But do you require a Disney World and a McDonalds as well? :-)
Paul

I'm not particularly fond of Disney, but my kids sure love it. They

like
McDonald's too...and I like how McDonald's stock has performed for my
portfolio over the last year and a half.

JohnH

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 14:59:11 -0500, "P.Fritz"
wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
.. .
On 9 Dec 2004 09:24:12 -0800, "basskisser" wrote:

I don't take childish, boorish quizzes. Did YOU take it? Do you get all
of your insight from such places?
And no, telling someone he is bitter isn't name calling. If I'd have
called him Bitter Fritz, or some such, then it WOULD be. But, alas, as
usual, you are wrong.
Same with "short minded."

So, if Harry says, "Herring is an asshole," then he isn't
name-calling. But if he says, "That asshole Herring..." then he *is*
name-calling?

snicker asslicker is showing his 'world class' education from the 'world
class' city he lives in.....all the while refusing to be 'cow downed'

What a mar00n!

The boy does have a strange thought pattern.

z z
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz

The spikes seem to be few and far between.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes
basskisser

wrote:

I don't take childish, boorish quizzes. Did YOU take it? Do you get

all
of your insight from such places?
And no, telling someone he is bitter isn't name calling. If I'd

have
called him Bitter Fritz, or some such, then it WOULD be. But, alas,

as
usual, you are wrong.
Same with "short minded."

So, if Harry says, "Herring is an asshole," then he isn't
name-calling. But if he says, "That asshole Herring..." then he

*is*
name-calling?

snicker asslicker is showing his 'world class' education from the

'world
class' city he lives in.....all the while refusing to be 'cow downed'

What a mar00n!

I beginning to feel sorry for you. You are obviously very bitter over
your wife leaving you. You are also incapable of any type of debate or
post, and because of your those two factors, your life being in turmoil
over your wife leaving you, and your inability to converse, you must
resort to childish name calling. Too sad. Oh, by the way, please, tell
the group what you know of my education. Where DID I go to school?
College? Post grad?
What evidence do you have that Atlanta, where I NOW live, ISN'T a world
class city?

basskisser

I'll show you reasons below why Atlanta IS a world class city, you show
me facts why is IS NOT, okay, Fritz? I know, I know, you'll just come
back with bitter, tired, childish name calling.
This was written in 1987:

Atlanta as a World Class City
by McKinley Conway

Presented at the 12th annual Gwinnett Developers Conference,
sponsored by the Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce
at the Peachtree Corners Hilton, September 24, 1987.

Newly Updated To 1997

Introduction
Fifty years ago my Dad operated several cotton gins in Northeast
Georgia, including one in Gwinnett County. Each served an area
originally defined by the practical limits of travel by wagon.

Things have changed. There is no more cotton to gin in Gwinnett County.
But there are more opportunities than my Dad ever dreamed about.

Two years ago I moved my company headquarters to Technology
Park/Atlanta in Gwinnett. While the bulk of our business is in the
United States, we have at least some activity in several dozen nations
around the world.

We have broadened our horizons. And, in the process we have enjoyed the
privilege of watching Atlanta go through two exciting phases of
development and enter another:

First, there was the competition for leadership of the Southeast
region. That was very much in doubt during the 1940s but by the end of
the 1950s Atlanta had emerged as the key airline hub of the region and
had won the battle.

Second, there was the drive to establish Atlanta as a national city.
That came in the 1960s and 1970s with major league teams, big new
hotels, the merchandise mart, and other facilities.

Now, there is a new goal -- to be world class.

What is a world class city?

What more do we want for Atlanta? Every citizen has a somewhat
different view, but we might agree on some prime objectives:

We want Atlanta to have at least some basic identity among the people
of the world - billions of them.

We want the respect that comes from having Atlanta's assets and
achievements known by leaders around the world.

We want visitors from around the world to feel safe and comfortable
here, aware of our respect for their varied languages, customs, and
cultures.

We want the global business community to recognize Atlanta as a logical
location for strategic investments, especially HQ facilities.

We want Atlanta to be a factor in world affairs - a source of
constructive ideas and concepts in such areas as business, science, and
government.
The competition is fierce.

There may be as many as a hundred emerging super-cities around the
world. In the United States we have such fast-developing metro centers
as Dallas, Denver, Phoenix, Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake City,
Honolulu, Orlando, New Orleans, and many others.

Elsewhere, the competition includes such cities as Melbourne, Taipei,
Sao Paulo, Toronto, Guadalajara, Lyons, Stuttgart, and scores of
others. All of them want many of the same things Atlanta wants and they
are willing to work very hard to do better than Atlanta.

All of the competitors have one thing in common: cities of the future
must be built project-by-project. There is no quick and easy route to
success.

It was this building-block approach which made Atlanta a NATIONAL city
during recent decades. Among those building blocks were

HARTSFIELD -- guaranteed airport capacity.

STADIUM -- brought major league teams.

I-285 -- expanded the metro area.

LAKE LANIER -- assured water supply, recreation.

GEORGIA TECH RESEARCH -provided a technological base.

MERCHANDISE MART -- leadership in distribution.

LENOX SQUARE -- a retail model.

WORLD CONGRESS CENTER -- attracted large conventions.

TECHNOLOGY PARK/ATLANTA -- pioneered R&D center.

MARTA -- promised future transit service.

STONE MOUNTAIN PARK -- added a dimension.

We are certainly not wise enough to rank these elements in importance
or say which ones, if any, we didn't need. What we know is that the
combination clicked.

The city/hinterland link.

Another critical factor in building a world class center is the degree
to which the growth center is integrated with a large and productive
hinterland.

Recent discussions of proposed development plans for Georgia seem to
have begun with the assertion that there are "two Georgias" and that we
must therefore have two strategies. This is dangerous thinking.

There are not two Georgias - there are at least three. And any attempt
to develop them via separate development plans is doomed to failure.
Instead, we must understand what the three key parts are and how they
fit into one strong, integrated effort. The three Georgias include:

The growth centers, such as Atlanta, Macon, Augusta, Savannah, Columbus
and several smaller cities. These are metro centers which already have
a mix of assets which enables them to compete in the business
community.

The integrated hinterlands of these growth centers. These are the areas
which are already participating directly in the economic success of the
growth centers. For Atlanta, the impact area is much of North Georgia
plus some areas well beyond.

The non-integrated hinterlands. These are remote or rural areas which
are yet benefitting directly from the success of the growth centers.

The growth centers reflect the strength of their integrated
hinterlands, and the hinterlands reflect the success of their centers.
As the integrated hinterlands expand, the non-integrated areas shrink.
Thus, sound development strategy must involve better integration so
that all segments benefit.

In seeking to attract investment it is also essential to bear in mind
what corporate site seekers are looking for.

Corporate facility planners today know that the preferred life style of
most Americans involves a homesite in a quiet suburb, small town, or
rural area with a job just a few minutes away, plus easy access -- in
less than an hour -- to all of the sophisticated services of a large
metro complex.

Our New Plant Reporting service, which tracks the locations of some
3,000 major plants per year, confirms this. Most of the new facilities
are locating in the growth centers and integrated hinterlands. Only a
small percentage are going to the nonintegrated hinterlands.

To be successful in this highly competitive world, we must, therefore,
offer the kind of sites people want. We must lead from strength. To
attempt to attract people to the kinds of sites they don't want would
be folly.

This means we must continue to invest in the enhancement of our growth
centers so that their areas of impact will be expanded. Those in the
hinterlands will benefit directly.

Atlanta is Georgia's greatest attraction and hence must be the focus of
the state's main development effort. Some will say this is not good
politics but neither is failure and frustration, and that is the
alternative.

With these points established, we can now sketch in a program for
making Atlanta a world class city -- and in the process making
Atlanta's hinterland a world class hinterland.

Atlanta's building blocks for the future.

AIRPORT CAPACITY. Atlanta must continue to add capacity, via expansion
at Hartsfield and addition of a second airport, to maintain its
position at the top of the air transport industry.

OUTER PERIMETER. If any single project is the key to making Atlanta a
world class city, this is it. In my opinion, dollars spent for the
outer loop will pay a higher return than any other investment.

DOMED STADIUM. For some cities a very expensive domed stadium may be a
questionable investment, but for Atlanta this facility is an absolute
must. Atlanta must be a meeting place for all seasons.

WATER. All of Atlanta's great prospects could be shattered by a water
shortage. We must invest in another dam or whatever is required to make
absolutely certain that we have a more than adequate supply.

TECHNOLOGY CENTERS. We must build new centers of excellence in several
fields of technology. One obvious area is bio technology, combining the
resources of Georgia Tech, Emory, the CDC, and other institutions.

WORLD COMMUNICATIONS CENTER. Another great area of opportunity for
leadership lies in the field of communications technology. This center
should integrate the resources of CNN, Bell South, IBM, Scientific
Atlanta, Hayes, and many smaller firms such as my own.

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. Gridlock is coming! (Those who travel Ashford
Dunwoody near the perimeter at rush hour will say it is already here.)
We must arrange new financing plans for extending MARTA into the
hinterland. An obvious need is to shuttle workers from the inner city
to jobs far beyond the perimeter.

NEW POLITICAL MECHANISMS. Many of the items on our new agenda are big
projects which cross many lines. Who is responsible? We cannot afford a
standoff in which the mayors point to the legislature, the governor
points to county commissions, or all look to the feds. After reviewing
the positive and negative experiences with such mechanisms as Maclog,
ARC, and MARTA, the General Assembly should propose a new plan for
managing super projects. Perhaps they could start with the domed
stadium.

WASTE DISPOSAL. It is no longer acceptable to dispose of urban wastes
via land fills. We must start now to install sophisticated new resource
recovery systems. (We call them "decoplex" or development/ecology
installations.)

GREEN BELTS. Whatever plans and projects are undertaken, we must
provide for a substantial amount of permanent open space within the two
perimeters - farms, parks, golf courses, riding academies, and forests.
This will require new and innovative incentives to make the program
attractive to land owners.
We want people to come here from all over the world to see how well we
have harmonized new development with the environment. This is not only
good business -- improving quality of life must be our ultimate
objective.

These are some of the building blocks we believe are needed to achieve
world class status. Like all of the pioneering projects which brought
Atlanta where we are today, they are all expensive and risky. All will
have opposition. They can be implemented only by men of vision who get
together and put the public interest first.
Our competitors think big and so must we!

We have identified more than 150 "super projects" underway around the
world today. Let's look a just a few:

The long-discussed "chunnel" under the English channel is now beginning
to move. Scheduled for completion in 1993, the 30-mile tunnel will link
Calais and Folkstone, cutting surface travel time between London and
Paris by three hours.
Other strategic links are being planned and promoted for Gibraltar, the
Bosporus at Istanbul, between North and South Islands in New Zealand,
and for the straits of Messina in Italy.

Japan's second city, Osaka, is building a new airport on an artificial
island connected to the mainland by a two-mile bridge. Estimated total
cost is $8 billion. In this country, Denver is one of several major
cities building new airports.

Huge water projects can be found around the globe. Among the largest
are the James Bay Le Grande project in Canada, the ltaipu project on
the border of Brazil and Paraguay, and a Soviet project near Lake
Baikal in Siberia.

Some of the boldest projects involve the construction of new national
capitals. Nigeria is building a new capital at Abuja, involving a new
city estimated to have a population of 1.6 million by the year 2000.
Argentina has recently announced plans to move its capital from Bueno
Aires to a new site at Vied ma in Patagonia.

Athens and Taipei are building rapid transit systems. Saudi Arabia has
invested $50 billion in a new port/industrial complex at Jubail.
Already, the facility has attracted 19 major industries, including
eight petroleum refineries.
Here in the United States, the search is underway for a site for one of
this nation's largest projects ever. This is the $6 billion
superconducting super collider planned by DOE for advanced research.

Last month I looked at about a dozen of the sites being proposed from
coast to coast. These sites must be at least 18 miles long by 14 miles
wide and must meet rigid geological criteria to accommodate the 50-mile
long tunnel which will circle under the entire site.

That is thinking big!

What this tells us is that Atlantans don't have any monopoly on
creativity or courage. To compete in the 21st century will take our
very best effort

Challenge to Gwinnett.

What does all this mean to Gwinnett?

which rapid growth offers us in the short term. Everyone in this room
is well aware that we are now riding high, and the years just ahead
will be filled with exciting new projects.

Instead, let's look a few years farther down the road when the growth
rate slows and the easy opportunities begin to move on. Having watched
DeKaIb County closely for the past 30 years, I believe we can see an
experience there that we don't want to repeat in Gwinnett.

Not too many years ago, DeKaIb was the growth center, leading the
parade. DeKaIb had the opportunity to build a technology park and
capture the new high-technology enterprises. But the county leaders
failed to act, and the development trend went to wall-to-wall
warehouses.

The warehouses may be good, but they don't spawn the kind of new
economic vitality that research and development facilities do. In the
development world today research centers are the cream.

As we know, Gwinnett has grabbed an early lead in attracting
high-technology activities. This has been done despite the lack of a
strong non-profit basic research institution or university in the
county.

Now is the time for Gwinnett to institutionalize some of its high-tech
assets. Perhaps some type of public-private technology council would be
a way to start. The objective must be to create a significant permanent
scientific base.

This is the way to guarantee economic vitality for the long term. Such
planning must be done now, even though the county is in the thick of an
all-out effort to cope with pressing growth problems.

Winning generals are those who, in heat of battle, can conceive of and
implement strategies. Those who are too busy to pause and think are
called losers.

Closing

We face the most fluid, unpredictable era in business history.

To succeed, we must accept change as a way of life. We must develop
increasing talent for adapting, creating, and implementing new ideas.

Here in greater Atlanta we have as good an opportunity as anywhere in
the world. Whether we become world class depends on us.

About the author
Multi-faceted McKinley Conway has credentials in such diverse fields as
engineering (two degrees, aeronautical, from Georgia Tech), scientific
research (seven years on the NACA/NASA staff, including three years at
the prestigious Ames laboratory in Silicon valley), publications
(author of some two dozen books, plus editing Site Selection Handbook
and Industrial Development), aviation (licensed pilot since 1940,
pioneering flight across the Amazon basin, two flights in single engine
aircraft across North Atlantic), government (two terms as state
senator), planning and futurism (chairman, Dekalb planning commission,
and chairman, Georgia Science and Technology Commission), and
geo-economist (founder and Executive Vice President, Industrial
Development Research Council).

Sept. 2004:

Atlanta Increases International Presence

The City of Atlanta continues to attract international partners as its
reputation continues to grow as a world-class city. Atlanta was
recently chosen as the headquarter site for the U.N. International
Training Center for Local Authorities, also known as the U.N. Centre
International de Formation des Autorit=E9s/Acteurs Locaux (CIFAL) for
the Americas and the Caribbean.

CIFAL Atlanta, the eleventh such center in the world, will focus on
commercial diplomacy, information technology and telecommunications,
and public-private partnerships.

At the recent signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between
U=2EN. Assistant Secretary Marcel Boisard and Mayor Shirley Franklin,
Boisard stated, "For us at the United Nations, Atlanta also carries a
particularly meaningful heritage of Reverend Martin L. King, Jr. and
the Civil Rights Movement and is associated with one of the most
respected peacemakers in the world, President Jimmy Carter."

Mayor Franklin said, "CIFAL Atlanta is a tribute to those who have
preceded us. This commitment to sustainable urban areas across the
globe was envisioned by former U.N. Ambassador Andrew Young decades
ago."

"Needless to say, the convenience of the world's most active
passenger airport and outstanding logistics for visitors makes Atlanta
the ideal location for leaders from all over the hemisphere," said
Assistant Secretary Boisard.

The Atlanta Chamber of Commerce hosted the official signing ceremony.
There are more than 1,600 foreign-based companies and organizations
operating in the greater metropolitan Atlanta area.

And this, from Bromberg Consulting, stating that Atlanta is "the most
dynamic city in the United States this decade:

Branding Atlanta: Use an old favorite theme
By Al Ries
As a marketing consultant and a newcomer to town, I'm often asked about
the "branding" of Atlanta. What is the position of Atlanta? And what
should the position be?

Atlanta is one of the fastest-growing and most dynamic business centers
in America. A recent survey of 1,700 senior corporate decision-makers
ranked Atlanta second only to New York City.

When it comes to branding, there are two cardinal sins that most people
make:
(1) Thinking small and (2) Thinking change. "Think small" for the
Volkswagen Beetle was one of the most successful marketing campaigns of
all time. While the advertising touted the merits of thinking small,
Volkswagen itself was thinking big. As a matter of fact the campaign
was so successful that by the year 1965, Volkswagen had 67 percent of
the imported car market in America.

Atlanta should never compare itself to Dallas, Charlotte, N.C., Miami,
New Orleans, Birmingham, Ala., or any city in the Southeast. Atlanta
should think big. Atlanta should consider itself a "world-class" city
along with New York, London, Paris, Rome, Hong Kong, and Tokyo.

As globalization becomes a reality, Atlanta should promote itself
outside the United States. And this program should have a strong,
consistent theme. Think about it. Most of the world-class cities have
strong identities.
=B7 New York is the Big Apple.
=B7 Paris is the City of Lights.
=B7 Rome is the Eternal City

What should the theme of an Atlanta marketing program be? Before I
discuss what that theme should be, let's look at the second cardinal
sin of marketing, thinking change.

Too many marketing people think that you can change a mind once a mind
is made up. Not true.
=B7 Xerox was a copier company that tried to become a computer company.
And lost several billion dollars. Wang was a word processor company
that tried to become a personal computer company and went bankrupt.
=B7 Kodak is a film photography company that is trying to become a
digital photography company. And that's not going to work either.

To develop a powerful marketing program for Atlanta, you have to ask
yourself, what is Atlanta in the mind?

The phrase that most people associate with Atlanta is "fast-growing."
And the one problem that everyone associates with Atlanta is "traffic."
Do you know any fast-growing cities that don't have a traffic problem?
I don't.

One expression that many people associate with Atlanta is "hot," as in
"Hotlanta." And that should be the theme of a global marketing program.
(If Atlanta is "hot," then that's the place we want to be.)

Whether you are selling a product, a service or a city, nothing
succeeds like success. Forget about the benefits of the city: the
weather, the location, the people, the housing, the infrastructure, the
airport. These are things that companies will go out of their way to
learn about...if they are motivated to consider moving to Atlanta in
the first place. And nothing motivates people more than the aura of
success. Hotlanta is truly one of the memorable slogans of all time.
Then why, you might be thinking, don't the powers that be want to use
"Hotlanta" as the theme of a marketing program?

They search for ways to be clever or creative. Any slogan that has ever
been used before is automatically rejected because it is not creative.

Look at The Coca-Cola Co., for example. What's the one idea that most
people associate with Coke? "It's the real thing." Everything else is
an imitation.

In spite of the fact that Coca-Cola has used the real thing idea only
two years in its entire lifetime, this is the one concept that most
people remember.

Then why doesn't the company continue to call itself "the real thing?"
It's been done before; it's not creative. You can't win an advertising
award by reusing an advertising slogan.

How many millions of dollars has Coca-Cola poured into its "Always"
slogan? At least a half a billion in the United States alone? Yet have
you ever heard anyone say, "Give me an Always?" You know what you would
get in almost any bar or restaurant in America if you asked for "the
real thing." But an Always?

Marketing programs that try to add a new idea or a new concept to the
prospect's mind are generally doomed to failure. The ones that work the
best are those that deal with ideas or concepts that are already
embedded there.

The purpose of the marketing program is to reinforce and remind
prospects of what you already stand for in their minds. It's like a
religious service. What did you learn Sunday that you didn't know
before? Not much, but you still come away from the service with a
renewed faith in your choice of religion.

Marketing programs should work the same way. They should exploit ideas
that have already formed in your mind and make them resonate. Over
time, this repetition becomes a powerful force for achieving your
goals.
=B7 Volvo, the safe car.
=B7 BMW, the ultimate driving machine. Hotlanta, the most dynamic city
in America.

basskisser

No, sorry, John. Again, I'm certainly glad you aren't teaching my
children. I'm quite bad at grammer, and language arts as a whole, and I
certainly know the difference. It's a little group of words called
NOUNS.....

JohnH

On 10 Dec 2004 05:09:06 -0800, "basskisser"
wrote:

No, sorry, John. Again, I'm certainly glad you aren't teaching my
children. I'm quite bad at grammer, and language arts as a whole, and I
certainly know the difference. It's a little group of words called
NOUNS.....

Maybe you could translate the above for me. Does the proper use of
commas fall into one of the categories in which you're bad?

In your last sentence above, to what does the 'it's' refer?

Notice: I'm just asking for some clarification. I'm not calling you
any names.

Lastly, to which of my posts were you replying?

Bill (John H's brother}

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes
JimH

wrote:

No, sorry, John. Again, I'm certainly glad you aren't teaching my
children. I'm quite bad at grammer, and language arts as a whole, and I
certainly know the difference. It's a little group of words called
NOUNS.....

Maybe you could translate the above for me. Does the proper use of
commas fall into one of the categories in which you're bad?

That, has, always, amazed, me. Yes, it, has.

basskisser

wrote:

No, sorry, John. Again, I'm certainly glad you aren't teaching my
children. I'm quite bad at grammer, and language arts as a whole,

and I
certainly know the difference. It's a little group of words called
NOUNS.....

Maybe you could translate the above for me. Does the proper use of
commas fall into one of the categories in which you're bad?

Yes

In your last sentence above, to what does the 'it's' refer?

It's is a contraction, meaning it is. So, in it's simplist form, just
for you, the sentence would be - It IS a little group of words called
NOUNS. Hope this simplifies it enough for you to understand.

Notice: I'm just asking for some clarification. I'm not calling you
any names.

Lastly, to which of my posts were you replying?

While my new newsgroup reader isn't attaching the posts correctly, you
certainly should be able to figure that out. If you need some help in
logically deducing which post I'm replying to, just ask.

Bill (John H's brother}

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and

necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes

JohnH

wrote:

No, sorry, John. Again, I'm certainly glad you aren't teaching my
children. I'm quite bad at grammer, and language arts as a whole,

and I
certainly know the difference. It's a little group of words called
NOUNS.....

Maybe you could translate the above for me. Does the proper use of
commas fall into one of the categories in which you're bad?

Yes

In your last sentence above, to what does the 'it's' refer?

It's is a contraction, meaning it is. So, in it's simplist form, just
for you, the sentence would be - It IS a little group of words called
NOUNS. Hope this simplifies it enough for you to understand.

Fine. So what does the 'it' in "it is" refer to? You said, "It IS a
little group of words...." My question is, "WHAT is a little group of
words...?"

Notice: I'm just asking for some clarification. I'm not calling you
any names.

Lastly, to which of my posts were you replying?

While my new newsgroup reader isn't attaching the posts correctly, you
certainly should be able to figure that out. If you need some help in
logically deducing which post I'm replying to, just ask.

I *did* ask. Yes, I need some help in logically deducing to which of
my posts you are referring. Maybe that knowledge would help me make
sense of your reply.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes
basskisser

wrote:

[...]

I seriously doubt it, John. If you can't figure it out yourself, I
don't think any amount of help would instill logical thinking. Kind of
like teaching lime Jello to count.