Bobsprit

Default Bush Resume

GEORGE W. BUSH RESUME
The White House, USA

ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS PRESIDENT:

I attacked and took over two countries.

I spent the U.S. surplus and bankrupted the Treasury.

I shattered the record for biggest annual deficit in history.

I set an economic record for most private bankruptcies filed in any

12-month
period.

I set all-time record for biggest drop in the history of the stock market.

I am the first president in decades to execute a federal prisoner.

I am the first president in US history to enter office with a criminal
record.

In my first year in office I set the all-time record for most days on
vacation by any president in US history.

After taking the entire month of August off for vacation, I presided over
the worst security failure in US history.

I set the record for most campaign fund raising trips by any president in

US
history.

In my first two years in office over 2 million Americans lost their job.

I cut unemployment benefits for more out-of-work Americans than any other
president in US history.

I set the all-time record for most foreclosures in a 12-month period.

I appointed more convicted criminals to administration positions than any
president in US history.

I set the record for the fewest press conferences of any president since

the
advent of TV.

I signed more laws and executive orders amending the Constitution than any
other president in US history.

I presided over the biggest energy crises in US history and refused to
intervene when corruption was revealed.

I presided over the highest gasoline prices in US history and refused to

use
the national reserves as past presidents have.

I cut health care benefits for war veterans.

I set the all-time record for most people worldwide to simultaneously take
to the to protest me (15 million people),shattering the record for protest
against any person in the history of mankind.

I dissolved more international treaties than any president in US history.

I've made my presidency the most secretive and unaccountable of any in US
history.

Members of my cabinet are the richest of any administration in US history.
(The 'poorest' multimillionaire, Condoleeza Rice, has a Chevron oil tanker
named after her).

I am the first president in US history to have all 50 states of the Union
simultaneously go bankrupt.

I presided over the biggest corporate stock market fraud in any market in
any country in the history of the world.

I am the first president in US history to order a US attack and military
occupation of a sovereign nation, and I did so against the will of the
United Nations and the world community.

I have created the largest government department bureaucracy in the

history
of the United States.

I set the all-time record for biggest annual budget spending increases,

more
than any other president in US history.

I am the first president in US history to have the United Nations remove

the
US from the Human Rights Commission.

I am the first president in US history to have the United Nations remove

the
US from the Elections Monitoring Board.

I removed more checks and balances, and have the least amount of
congressional oversight than any presidential administration in US

history.

I rendered the entire United Nations irrelevant.

I withdrew from the World Court of Law.

I refused to allow inspectors access to US prisoners of war and by default
no longer abide by the Geneva Conventions.

I am the first president in US history to refuse United Nations election
inspectors access during the 2002 US elections.

I am the all-time US (and world) record holder for most corporate campaign
donations.

The biggest lifetime contributor to my campaign, who is also one of my

best
friends, presided over one of the largest corporate bankruptcy frauds in
world history (Kenneth Lay, former CEO of Enron Corporation).

I spent more money on polls and focus groups than any president in US
history.

I am the first president to run and hide when the US came under attack

(and
then lied, saying the enemy had the code to Air Force 1).

I am the first US president to establish a secret shadow government.

I took the world's sympathy for the US after 911, and in less than a year
made the US the most resented country in the world (possibly the biggest
diplomatic failure in US and world history).

I am the first US president in history to have a majority of the people of
Europe (71%) view my presidency as the biggest threat to world peace and
stability.

I am the first US president in history to have the people of South Korea
more threatened by the US than by their immediate neighbor, North Korea.

I changed US policy to allow convicted criminals to be awarded government
contracts.

I set the all-time record for number of administration appointees who
violated US law by not selling their huge investments in corporations
bidding for government contracts.

I have removed more freedoms and civil liberties for Americans than any
other president in US history. In a little over two years I have created
the most divided country in decades, possibly the most divided that the US
has been since the civil war.

I entered office with the strongest economy in US history and in less than
two years turned every single economic category heading straight down.

RECORDS AND REFERENCES:

I have at least one conviction for drunk driving in Maine (Texas driving
record has been erased and is not available).

I was AWOL from the National Guard and deserted the military during a time
of war. I refuse to take a drug test or even answer any questions about
drug use.

All records of my tenure as governor of Texas have been spirited away to

my
father's library, sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public view.

All records of any SEC investigations into my insider trading or bankrupt
companies are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public view.

All minutes of meetings of any public corporation for which I served on

the
board are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public view.

Any records or minutes from meetings I (or my VP) attended regarding

public
energy policy are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public review.

Steve Thomas

Supposedly the impeachment attempt was because Billy lied about sex.
So if there is any evidence that GW has lied about anything as important to
the American people as his sex life, then we can reasonably expect that he
will be impeached a well.
Right?

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
[...]

eflorack

(Bobsprit) wrote in message ...
[...]

The Truth About "The Resume"
While surfing Moby's web site one day (
http://www.moby.com), I came
across one of Moby's "journal entries"
called "GW Resume". Moby didn't write it, but it appears to be
something that started on the Internet and has
spread like wildfire.
"The resume" is a sarcastic stab at the President, purporting to list
his "work experience", "accomplishments",
and "references".
It is obvious that the author isn't a fan of George W. Bush.
Unfortunately, this person isn't a fan of the truth,
either, because most of the claims made in "the resume" are completely
false. For the casual reader, however,
the claims seem plausible.
I've done the research necessary to prove most every point of "the
resume" false. What follows this
introduction are my findings.
The bulleted points are what "the resume" claims to be true. My
you're looking at this on a computer screen, my responses appear in
blue.
In the interest of full disclosure, I need to say a few more things
before proceeding. I voted for George W.
Bush and I'm very impressed with his performance so far in office. I
believe he is an honest man. I believe he
is an intelligent man.
George W. Bush is not perfect—none of us are. But he's also not the
ignorant, controlled, corrupt frat boy that
many of his critics, including "the resume", claim him to be.
This is not a short document, but neither is "the resume". 70
different "qualifications" are listed in the version
that I read on Moby's site and I suspect that mine is not the original
version.
Enjoy!
Curt King
May 5, 2003
If you have any questions, comments, criticism, or praise, please
contact me at:

May 19, 2003 Page 2 of 28
Changes
May 6, 2003
· The current number of detainees at Guantanamo is not 23,000, but
650.
(Source:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/05/06/unl...nts/index.html)
· To clarify the US Supreme Court's role in the 2000 election. There
were two rulings made by the court: the first,
which was a 7-2 unsigned opinion, reversed the Florida Supreme Court's
order for manual recounts. As the
opinion was unsigned, we don't know which justices voted on which
side. The second opinion, which was signed,
was a 5-4 decision terminating manual recounts. In the second
decision, one Bush appointee voted with the
majority (Thomas), the other voted with the minority (Souter).
(Source:
http://www.cnn.com/2000/LAW/12/13/sc....05/index.html)
· Offutt is no longer the home of the Strategic Air Command. In June
1992, SAC was combined with Naval nuclear
forces to form US Strategic Command.
(Source: http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Air_Command)
May 19, 2003
· I have received a number of e-mails regarding the story that GWB
was AWOL for a period of months during the
Vietnam War. The story, which I believed to be mainly true, is in fact
false. George W. Bush did not "go AWOL"
during his time in the service.
Here's a link to a story that ran in George magazine:
http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a39ea05224b3e.htm
I also received a very detailed e-mail from a Navy instructor in
California, who asked to remain nameless:
All the cited documents so far are an assortment of standard form
letters that are found in many reserve
pilots records. The "smoking gun" AWOL proof cite is actually a
standard report evaluation of ANG
members that have transferred during an evaluation period. Each
command is required to submit an
evaluation record even if the member is no longer there to keep a
constant an unbroken line of
evaluation. The "smoking gun" terminology of "Not observed at this
station" is the exact proper wording
found in any members record of evaluation during a transfer which
oddly the previous cited documents
actually prove was the case. This is the standard evaluation extension
language used in almost all
military records. For the Navy the block is listed with "Not Observed"
for the Army it lists "not present for
evaluation". The flight suspension letter is also a commonplace form
letter suspending flying till an annual
physical exam is completed.
This other "smoking gun" is such a common occurrence especially in the
ANG that there are other people
than George Bush listed on it using the same exact terminology.
Further investigating the documents finds that the AWOL claim is
merely wishful thinking by some who
simply misunderstand what the military documents say or don't know how
common they really are in
many service members records.
As you pointed out in your investigation in the final months of George
Bush's ANG reserve commitment
"when Bush decided to go to business school at Harvard in the fall of
1973, he requested and got an
honorable discharge--eight months before his service was scheduled to
end." The military does not and
cannot by regulation, issue an Honorable Discharge to anyone that has
been AWOL or otherwise
seriously reprimanded as the resume tries to claim.
You can find reference citation on the Resume' claimed cites of AWOL
at www.bupers.navy.mil under the
Uniform Regulations Manual and PERSNET as well the manpower
regulations and report evaluation
procedures.
My thanks to the e-mailers who set me straight on this matter!
May 19, 2003 Page 3 of 28
· Sammy Sosa was not traded to the Cubs—he was traded to the White
Sox. (You mean there's two teams in
Chicago? g) An e-mailer named "GraniteStateConservative" clears the
whole mess up:
"Sosa was NOT traded to the Cubs. He was, in fact, traded to the
Chicago White Sox.
As you mentioned, Sosa began his MLB career in 1989. He performed
poorly, batting .238 with only 1 HR
in 84 at bats. That year, he was sent to the minor leagues several
times and finally traded to the Chicago
White Sox. Marty Scott, the GM at the time for the Rangers, regretted
in retrospect making the trade.
He stayed with the Sox for 3 years and struggled the whole time, with
a batting average of .240 and
averaging 9 HR per season. They also sent him to the minors, as the
Rangers had, to boost his
confidence, but that didn't help and so they traded Sammy, too, to
their cross-town rivals. In 1992, he
became a Cub-- playing in the friendly confines of Wrigley Field and
hearing the dearly departed Harry
Carey sing during the seventh-inning stretch.
Sosa realized that if he wanted to provide for his family here and in
the Dominican Republic with the
money from a big MLB contract, he had to get his act together and
learn to hit the baseball. His newfound
desire to improve his performance lead to better performance and the
rest is history."
May 19, 2003 Page 4 of 28
George W. Bush Resume
Past work experience
· Ran for congress and lost.
Every president in modern history has lost an election at some point:
Clinton -- Clinton lost his bid for reelection for Arkansas governor
in 1980
Bush, Sr. – Lost to Clinton in bid for reelection in 1992
Reagan – Lost race for GOP nomination in 1976
Carter – Lost to Reagan in bid for reelection in 1980.
Ford – Lost to Carter in bid for reelection in 1976.
Nixon – Lost race for presidency in 1960
· Bought an oil company, but couldn't find any oil in Texas, company
went bankrupt shortly after
I sold all my stock.
Bush was not a tremendous success in the oil business. But the
allegation here appears to be
that Bush sold his stock to "cash out" before the company went
bankrupt. Bush sold his stock
for $4.00 per share. A year later, the stock was valued at $8.00 per
share. The company,
Harken Energy Corporation, is still functioning.
(http://www.harkenenergy.com/)
More info: http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stori.../jackson.bush/
· Bought the Texas Rangers baseball team in a sweetheart deal that
took land using tax-payer
money. Biggest move: Traded Sammy Sosa to the Chicago Cubs.
Bush only owned 5% of the team.
Sammy Sosa only played for the Rangers for 25 games. His record as a
Ranger? 84 at-bats,
and only 1 home run. His batting average was .238.
(Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...s?statsId=4344)
The Rangers aren't the only team to have built a taxpayer-funded
stadium, either: Since the
early 1950s, only one baseball stadium was built without taxpayer
money, while 19 baseball
stadiums were 100 percent taxpayer-funded. (Source: Small Business
Survival Committee,
"You're Out: Corporate Welfare for Major League Baseball".
http://www.sbsc.org/)
What have been the results of the new ballpark built by the taxpayers
of Arlington? CNN:
"Fans love the stadium. And the team has flourished financially."
(Source: http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stori.../jackson.bush/)
(Correction on 5/19—Sosa was traded to the White Sox, not Cubs. See
"Changes".)
· With father's help (and his name) was elected Governor of Texas.
No evidence is provided of any illegal, immoral, or unethical
influence exerted by George Bush
in his son's election. It is true that George W Bush has a famous
surname that may have
helped him get elected. The same might be said of Ted Kennedy, Al
Gore, and Hillary Clinton.
May 19, 2003 Page 5 of 28
Accomplishments
· Changed pollution laws for power and oil companies and made Texas
the most polluted state
in the Union.
Here are the facts: Texas leads the nation in reduction of toxic
releases. Texas has led the
nation in the reduction of toxic releases by 43 million pounds from
1995 to 1998 (during GWB's
tenure as governor). It is not the most polluted state in the nation.
According to the
Environmental Protection Agency's 1998 Toxic Release Inventory (the
most recent data
available from the EPA, released in May 2000), Texas dropped from
first to fifth place in 1998
(while GWB was still governor) for total emissions to the air, water
and soil.
· Replaced Los Angeles with Houston as the most smog-ridden city in
America.
Houston does not lead the nation in air pollution. Los Angeles
surpassed Houston in 2000 (while GWB was still governor) in ozone
exceedances. Through
July 17, 2000 Los Angeles exceeded the federal ozone standard on 17
days, compared to
Houston's 13 days. (Associated Press, 8/7/00).
Much more on Bush's Texas environmental record can be found at:
http://www.politicsandelections.com/...s/bushaug8.htm
This is a Bush-Cheney press release from 2000, but much of it is
corroborated by outside
sources, as illustrated by the Associated Press citation above.
· Cut taxes and bankrupted the Texas government to the tune of
billions in borrowed money.
A Wall Street Journal article finds different results: "Finally, there
is the question of the fiscal
record of George W. Bush while he was Texas governor. Mr. Bush racked
up a decent, but not
a dazzling, pro-taxpayer record. He came into office promising tax
cuts, tort reform, a lighter
regulatory burden for business, and stringent education standards. Mr.
Bush delivered on each
of those promises, more or less. He signed two of the largest tax cuts
in Texas history. But Mr.
Bush could leave conservatives frustrated. This is a politician who
seems to always want to
please everyone. As the Austin Statesman wrote of Mr. Bush's final
budget: "He took a $6
billion surplus, cut taxes by $1.5 billion and spent most of the
rest." Still, the latest comptroller
report indicates that Texas still has a $1 billion-plus budget
surplus." (WSJ, 2/12/01)
· Set record for most executions by any Governor in American history.
The death penalty is law in Texas and—believe it or not—the governor
does not have the
power to execute people. In fact, the governor only has the power to
stay an execution for 30
days. The governor is powerless in Texas to grant pardons or clemency:
"Prior to a 1934 constitutional amendment, the governor had
independent pardon
powers. The amendment removing these powers was added after Jim and
Miriam
Ferguson were accused of selling clemency during her term as Governor.
In modern
times, governors have used what clemency powers they have been left
with sparingly.
May 19, 2003 Page 6 of 28
As the application of the death penalty in the state has come under
increasing scrutiny
and criticism, and new technology has been made available to review
old cases,
governors have used reprieves to deflect criticism by allowing for
further review of death
penalty cases. These incidents have been rare, given the weak
opposition to capital
punishment. In cases where there is some compelling question about
carrying out an
execution, governors are ultimately in a safe position. Granting a
thirty-day reprieve can
appear judicious but not overly soft on criminals, as the governor
cannot prevent an
execution on his or her own. Yet in the event a mistake is found and a
wrongful
execution prevented, the governor is likely to appear careful and
just. Still, Texas
governors have granted such reprieves relatively rarely." ("Texas
Politics, The Executive
Branch", http://texaspolitics.lamc.utexas.edu...exec/0700.html)
· Became president after losing the popular vote by over 500,000
votes, with the help of my
father's appointments to the Supreme Court.
Once again, a quick read of the constitution will clear up the
"popular vote" matter:
http://freedom.house.gov/electoral/constitution.asp
The popular vote doesn't elect the president: the Electoral College
does.
Incidentally, George W. Bush received more popular votes than did his
father in 1992 and Bill
Clinton in both his elections. In fact, you have to go back to Ronald
Reagan's landslide in
1984 to find a candidate with more popular votes.
(http://www.presidentelect.org/)
Of the nine justices currently serving on the Supreme Court, two were
appointed by George
Bush Sr.—Clarence Thomas and David Souter. This is important, so
please take note. Two
appointments. (http://www.supremecourtus.gov/about/members.pdf)
The "resume" says that GWB became president "with the help of my
father's appointments to
the Supreme Court. " There's only one problem with that: President
Bush the elder appointed
two justices to the Supreme Court. The ruling that ended the recounts
in Florida was a 7-to-2
vote. Even if President Bush's two appointees had voted in favor the
Florida Supreme Court,
the vote would have still been 5-to-4.
(http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0884144.html)
To counter the critics' claim that the US Supreme Court's decision was
"bought", there is a 65-
page opinion (and dissent) which enumerates the precedents that the
Supreme Court used in
making their ruling:
(http://wire.ap.org/APpackages/electi...otusruling.pdf)
There's a clarification to this issue in the "Changes" section at the
beginning of the document.
Accomplishments as president
· Attacked and took over two countries.
Afghanistan's Taliban regime was displaced by US intervention in 2002.
A government led by
Afghans is currently in power:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapc...cil/index.html
May 19, 2003 Page 7 of 28
As to why we "attacked and took over" in Afghanistan, I refer you to
the 2000 report by
Amnesty International:
"Human rights abuses by the warring factions against members of rival
ethnic groups
occurred throughout 1999. Taleban forces burned homes, destroyed
orchards, wheat
fields and irrigation systems and forcibly displaced more than 100,000
mainly Tajik
people. The UN imposed financial and aviation sanctions on the Taleban
for not
surrendering Osama bin Laden to stand trial for his alleged
involvement in US embassy
bombings in August 1998. Women, children, human rights defenders,
members of
ethnic groups, people accused of homosexual activity, and refugees
were
systematically targeted by the Taleban and other warring factions on
the basis of their
identity. Taleban courts imposed sentences of death, amputation and
flogging after
apparently unfair trials."
(http://www.web.amnesty.org/web/ar200...e8ee428802568f
200552988?OpenDocument)
As for Iraq, we removed Saddam Hussein from power. Here are just a
couple of articles
detailing the abuses of his regime:
http://www.web.amnesty.org/web/ar200...037845802568f2
00552932?OpenDocument
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_...son_of_saddam/
But the reason we gave for attacking Iraq was Weapons of Mass
Destruction (WMD) and
violation of the UN resolutions 660, 678, and 1441. Here's the
evidence for that:
The United States has documented violations of these UN resolutions
since the end of Desert
Storm in 1991. In fact, UN Ambassador Bill Richardson, of the Clinton
Administration, testified
in 1997 about the Iraqi non-compliance:
http://www.fas.org/news/iraq/1997/11/97111011_tpo.html
The Bush administration laid out its case for the Iraqi invasion by
detailing each UN resolution
and the UN's own conclusion that said resolutions had been violated:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/ir...ade/sect2.html
· Spent the surplus and bankrupted the treasury.
As a quick reading of the Constitution will attest, the President has
no power to spend. That
power lies with Congress.
· Shattered record for biggest annual deficit in history.
Again, spending power resides with Congress.
May 19, 2003 Page 8 of 28
· Set economic record for most private bankruptcies filed in any
12-month period.
Bankruptcies have been on the rise since 1940, with the exception of a
few years. The Cato
Institute statistics only show data through 1997, but the trend is
clear.
http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/reg20n4f.html
The claim that GWB set a record for the most private bankruptcies in
one year can be made
about every president since Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
Look at the reasons most often cited for filing personal bankruptcies:
Credit card bills 63% Lawsuit/legal bills 12%
Job loss/cut in pay 50% Taxes 10%
Mismanagement of personal finances 37% College expenses 8%
Medical bills 28% Death in family 7%
Difficulty with business 15% Gambling 2%
Divorce/marital breakup 13%
I don't think anyone would argue that the increase in private
bankruptcies is a good thing, but
the blame cannot be laid at the feet of any president. At the same
time bankruptcies have
increased, so has consumer debt. Interestingly, between 1990 and 1997,
credit card
solicitations tripled from 1 to 3 billion per year.
· Set all-time record for biggest drop in the history of the stock
market.
Facts on File disagrees (http://www.facts.com/cd/v00066.htm):
"The largest stock-market drop in Wall Street history occurred on
"Black Monday" --
October 19, 1987 -- when the Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged
508.32 points,
losing 22.6% of its total value."
If you'd like to suggest that the phrase "biggest drop" refers to a
period of time and not a single
day, then Bush isn't to blame either:
The Ten Worst Stock Market Crashes of All Time (as of 10/28/02)
http://mutualfunds.about.com/library.../aa102802a.htm
Date Started Date Ended Number of Days Total Loss
4/17/1930 7/8/1932 813 -86.0%
3/10/1937 3/31/1938 386 -49.1%
1/19/1906 11/15/1907 665 -48.5%
9/3/1929 11/13/1929 71 -47.9%
11/3/1919 8/24/1921 660 -46.6%
6/17/1901 11/9/1903 875 -46.1%
1/11/1973 12/06/1974 694 -45.1%
9/12/1939 4/28/1942 959 -40.4%
11/21/1916 12/19/1917 393 -40.1%
9/7/1932 2/27/1933 173 -37.2%
May 19, 2003 Page 9 of 28
· First president in decades to execute a federal prisoner.
The first federal prisoner "in decades" to be executed was Timothy
McVeigh, who was
responsible for 168 deaths, including children in the buildings day
care center. The federal
death penalty is law. Regardless of your opinion on the death penalty,
it is hard to have any
sympathy for Timothy McVeigh.
· First president in US history to enter office with a criminal
record.
I will not dispute that President Bush was arrested in 1976 for
driving under the influence. He
has admitted it, though understandably he didn't volunteer the
information. For a complete
story, here's a link:
http://www.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/...1/02/bush.dui/
will leave it up to the reader to determine what other presidents have
had such indiscretions,
yet were never caught.
· First year in office set the all-time record for most days on
vacation by any president in US
history.
No proof is provided by "the resume", and I can find none.
· After taking the entire month of August off for vacation, presided
over the worst security failure
in US history in September.
Here's a few notes on the President's schedule for August 2001:
August 1, 2001: Nominated six US Attorneys, two judges for affirmation
by Congress.
Placed phone calls to PM Blair and Ahern to discuss matters between
Britain and
Northern Ireland.
President announces an agreement on the Patients Bill of Rights
President addresses National Urban League Conference
August 2, 2001: President meets with House and Senate education
leaders.
August 3, 2001: Placed six more nominations for US Attorneys.
President speaks to press at meeting to discuss his first six months
in office and
the agenda for the future.
President attends a ceremony in East Room honoring Lance Armstrong.
August 4, 2001: President's Radio Address
August 7, 2001: Press conference in Waco, TX with pool of reporters.
August 8, 2001: President helps build a home with Habitat For
Humanity, then addresses the
group on faith-based and community initiatives.
August 9, 2001: Addressed the nation on stem-cell research.
August 10, 2001: Announces nomination of two US Ambassadors.
August 11, 2001: President's Radio Address
August 13, 2001: Presidential Ceremony to sign the Agriculture
Supplemental Bill.
President holds two press conferences with traveling White House pool.
May 19, 2003 Page 10 of 28
The rest of the month had just as much, if not more, activity. I will
omit it here to save space,
but you can find complete information at the following sites:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/08/
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/briefings/20010801.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/briefings/20010803.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/briefings/20010809.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/briefings/20010822.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...010831-15.html
The President was in Texas from August 7-13 and 21-25. The rest of the
month was spent
traveling to New Mexico, Colorado, Wisconsin, Missouri and then back
to Washington at the
end of the month. A review of the White House news archive for August
2001 shows this
month to be anything but a "vacation". It is naïve to think that the
President spent an entire
month doing nothing, as "the resume" infers.
· Set the record for most campaign fund-raising trips than any other
president in US history.
No proof is provided by "the resume", and I can find none.
· In my first two years in office over 2 million Americans lost their
job.
President Bush took office in January 2001. The Bureau of Labor
Statistics has data for 2001
and 2002 on their web site:
http://data.bls.gov/servlet/SurveyOu...&serie s_id=L
NU03000000&years_option=all_years&periods_option=s pecific_periods&periods=Annu
al+Data
If you assume that GWB is responsible for what happened in 2001, which
I believe is a faulty
assumption, then 2.5 million Americans were added to the unemployment
rolls during his first
two years in office. I suggest that the 2001 statistics probably
should be attributed to Clinton
policies, though that is a subject for some debate.
Are 2.5 million jobs lost in two years unprecedented in history?
Hardly. Here are some other
examples of such a drop:
1954: 1.7 million added to the unemployment rolls (1.04% of the
population)
1958: 1.7 million added to the unemployment rolls (.97% of the
population)
1970-1971: 2.2 million added to the unemployment rolls (1.05% of the
population)
1974-1975: 3.6 million added to the unemployment rolls (1.67% of the
population)
1981-1982: 2.4 million added to the unemployment rolls (1.02% of the
population)
1991-1992: 2.6 million added to the unemployment rolls (1.02% of the
population)
May 19, 2003 Page 11 of 28
What's interesting is that based on population change, the 2001-2002
job loss is only .77% of
the population—significantly lower than the other six periods of
evaluation.
US Population Estimates:
http://eire.census.gov/popest/data/n...les/NAEST2002-
06.php
Historical Population Numbers:
http://www.npg.org/facts/us_historical_pops.htm
would never argue that 2.2 million Americans losing their jobs is
insignificant, but it is not
unprecedented in other economic downturns in US history.
· Cut unemployment benefits for more out of work Americans than any
president in US history.
I have searched CNN's database for the past three years and can find
no evidence that
President Bush ever cut unemployment benefits. The closest I came was
this:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/...its/index.html
In December 2002, unemployment benefits for 800,000 Americans expired.
Congress did not
pass legislation that would have extended those benefits. However, two
weeks earlier, the
President had encouraged Congress to extend benefits:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/...ess/index.html
Benefits were lost to these 800,000 workers on December 28 and
Congress passed legislation
on January 8 to renew benefits to these workers. President Bush signed
the bill immediately.
· Set the all-time record for most foreclosures in a 12-month period.
Unfortunately, foreclosures have been on the rise since at least 1980.
According to Mr. Irv
Ackelsberg, Managing Attorney of Community Legal Services, Inc:
"Between 1980 and 1999 both the number and the rate of home
foreclosures in the
United States have skyrocketed. The absolute number of foreclosures
rose 277%. This
means that although this was a period of economic prosperity, almost
four times the
number of homes were foreclosed upon in 1999 as in 1980."
Mr. Ackelsberg testified before Congress in 2001 and cited four
reasons for the increased
number of foreclosures:
· the deregulation of home lending laws;
· the limitation of tax deductibility of consumer debt to home
secured loans;
· the increases in real estate values which has expanded availability
of home equity for
many households; and
· the proliferation of mortgage brokers.
May 19, 2003 Page 12 of 28
Mr. Ackelsberg's report to the Senate Banking committee can be found
online:
http://banking.senate.gov/01_07hrg/072701/aklsbrg.htm
To emphasize one important point of the above quote, I will repeat it
he "This means that
although this was a period of economic prosperity, almost four times
the number of homes
were foreclosed upon in 1999 as in 1980." There does not appear to be
a direct correlation
between economic prosperity and foreclosures, nor between presidential
policies and
foreclosures.
would never diminish the effect of foreclosures on individuals, but to
pin this one on Mr. Bush
ignores the evidence.
· Appointed more convicted criminals to administration positions than
any president in US
history.
There's no evidence provided here for this claim and I can find none
on my own. I did,
however, find statistics on Mr. Bush's predecessor, Bill Clinton:
Number of individuals and businesses associated
with the Clinton machine who have been convicted
of or pleaded guilty to crimes
47
Number of these convictions during Clinton's
presidency 33
Number of indictments/misdemeanor charges 61
Number of imprisonments 14
Number of congressional witnesses who have pled
the 5th Amendment, fled the country to avoid
testifying, or (in the case of foreign witnesses)
refused to be interviewed) as of 9/99)
122
(http://www.thevrwc.org/ClintonRecord.html)
I know that it does not refute the argument that "the resume" makes:
but since they felt no
need to prove their claim, I didn't feel the need to help them. What
is clear is that the Bush
administration has quite a way to go in order to surpass the Clinton
record.
· Set the record for the least amount of press conferences than any
president since the advent
of television.
According to a study done by Richard Strout in 1966:
(http://www.nieman.harvard.edu/report..._LBJ_Shou.html)
Roosevelt had just under 1,000 conferences. Mr. Truman, if my figures
are right, had
well over 300; General Eisenhower cut the number down to 200, and
President
Kennedy in his bright 1,000 days had a conference about once a
fortnight.
May 19, 2003 Page 13 of 28
Alas, this tradition has not continued in recent days. President
Johnson has been one of
the most accessible men to the press of any President, that is, in
informal gatherings,
meetings with individual bureau chiefs, or tips to favorite
correspondents. But as for
formal press conferences, I can only figure that he had nine last
year. So far in 1966 he
has held only a few.
Strout criticizes LBJ for not having more press conferences, so the
criticism of Bush is nothing
new.
However, the point that GWB has held fewer press conferences than
other presidents is valid.
Here are the numbers, researched by Martha Joynt Kumar, a Towson
University political
science professor who specializes in presidential communication:
"At the same point in their presidencies, President Bill Clinton had
held 30 solo news
conferences (that is, without a foreign leader at a twin lectern) and
Bush's father had
held 58, according to research by Martha Joynt Kumar, a Towson
University political
science professor who specializes in presidential communication.
After two years and 45 days in office, President Ronald Reagan had
held 16 solo news
conferences, President Jimmy Carter had held 45, President Gerald Ford
had held 37,
President Richard M. Nixon had held 16 and President Lyndon B. Johnson
had held
52." (Quote from "Bush's Distaste for News Conferences Keeps Them
Rare" by Mike
Allen, Washington Post, March 7, 2003
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wpdyn?
pagename=article&node=&contentId=A53542-2003Mar6&notFound=true)
As of March 7, 2003, GWB had held 8 formal press conferences. So while
it is true that he has
held fewer than any other modern president, the numbers are not so
vastly different.
· Signed more laws and executive orders amending the Constitution
than any president in US
history.
President Bush has not signed any laws amending the US Constitution.
Only Congress can
pass a law amending the Constitution and they have not done so since
1978.
http://www.usconstitution.net/constamfail.html
As to Executive Orders, Bush isn't even close to signing "more…than
any president in US
history: (http://www.archives.gov/federal_regi...on_tables.html)
President Number
of Orders Signed
Years in
Office Orders Per Year
GWB 99 2 50
Clinton 363 8 45
Bush 165 4 41
Reagan 380 8 48
Carter 319 4 80
Ford 168 2 84
Nixon 345 6 58
Johnson 323 5 65
Kennedy 213 3 71
May 19, 2003 Page 14 of 28
A quick glance of the executive orders of GWB at
http://www.archives.gov/federal_regi..._subjects.html
will reveal
their sinister natu
"Increasing Participation of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in
Federal Programs"
(Executive Order 13125)
"Prohibition of Acquisition of Products Produced by Forced or
Indentured Child Labor"
(Executive Order 13126)
"Blocking Property and Prohibiting Transactions With the Taliban"
(Executive Order
13129)
Just to clarify one point: there seems to be a suggestion that
Executive Orders are some sort
of secret, evil machination of presidents. Not so: Every Executive
Order is available for review
on the government's own web site:
http://www.archives.gov/federal_regi...on_tables.html
· Presided over the biggest energy crises in US history and refused
to intervene when corruption
was revealed.
I'd suggest that the energy crises of the early 1970's were worse.
Here's an article describing
the conditions during those crises:
http://www.mainchance.org/upward/rea...h2003/gas.html
· Presided over the highest gasoline prices in US history and refused
to use the national
reserves as past presidents have.
Using California as an example, the first part of this claim is
blatantly false:
(Source: http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/st..._adjusted.html)
Year
Adjusted
Price Year
Adjusted
Price Year Adjusted Price Year Adjusted Price
1970 1.32 1979 1.92 1988 1.26 1996 1.48 (peak $1.73)
1971 1.31 1980 2.41 1989 1.31 1997 1.46 (peak $1.58)
1972 1.23 1981 2.42 1990 1.41 1998 1.26 (peak $1.35)
1973 1.28 1982 2.11 1991 1.44 1999 1.46 (peak $1.74)
1974 1.62 1983 1.82 1992 1.34 2000 1.74 (peak $1.94)
1975 1.64 1984 1.77 1993 1.46 2001 1.68 (peak $2.00)
1976 1.62 1985 1.69 1994 1.41 2002 1.53 (peak $1.64)
1977 1.61 1986 1.30 1995 1.41 2003 1.74 (peak $2.01)
1978 1.52 1987 1.28
May 19, 2003 Page 15 of 28
As to the second part of the claim, GWB has long favored using our oil
reserves in Alaska
(ANWR), but has been vehemently opposed by wildlife and environmental
groups.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea.../20010329.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0010129-7.html
Finally, the use of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve
(http://www.fe.doe.gov/spr/) by "past
presidents" is somewhat fallacious. Senator Charles Schumer, Democrat
from New York,
urged President Clinton to use oil from the SPR to stem a crisis in
2000. "Schumer said
presidents have exercised the power at least three times in the past
-- twice simply to boost
federal revenue to help balance the budget." So the claim that past
presidents have used the
SPR to relieve high gasoline prices, as the "resume" clearly infers,
is fallacious as well.
(http://www.house.gov/bernie/publicat...9-oil-atu.html)
· Cut health care benefits for war veterans.
Without a date or more specific information, I'm not sure what they're
referring to. But here's
an article from US Representative Rob Simmons, who represents eastern
Connecticut in
Congress:
http://www.theday.com/eng/web/mktpla...B27-4A38-86B4-
AEF38476134E
And here's a summary of the facts directly from the House Budget
Committee:
http://www.budget.house.gov/04brbveterans.htm
· Set the all-time record for most people worldwide to simultaneously
take to the streets to
protest me (15 million people), shattering the record for protest
against any person in the
history of mankind. (http://www.hyperreal.org/~dana/marches/)
Hey, finally they cite some evidence! Unfortunately, the web site they
point to is simply
pictures from protests held on March 14 and 15, 2003. The protesters
seem to be against a
potential war in Iraq, which is interesting because that would not
indicate that they were
protesting President Bush alone, rather they were protesting the
concept of a war in Iraq.
Considering that the war was supported by more than 30 countries, the
"resume" has
presented another false claim.
would opine that if you're convinced that your beliefs are right, it
doesn't matter how many
people protest against them.
· Dissolved more international treaties than any president in US
history.
I've searched CNN and Google's news search and can't find any treaty
that the president has
dissolved. The State Department's web site lists 500 pages of treaties
currently in force:
http://www.state.gov/www/global/lega.../tifindex.html
If anyone wants to do the research, go at it. "The resume" offered no
proof and I found none.
May 19, 2003 Page 16 of 28
· My presidency is the most secretive and un-accountable of any in US
history.
How do you go about arguing this? With no evidence cited, I can't
refute it.
· Members of my cabinet are the richest of any administration in US
history. (the 'poorest' multimillionaire,
Condoleeza Rice has an Exxon oil tanker named after her).
Yes, this one's true. Bush has 13 millionaires in his Cabinet (out of
16 secretaries), while
Clinton had 7 and Bush Sr. had 6:
http://www.agrnews.org/issues/110/nationalnews.html
And the "oil tanker" story? True, except it's Chevron, not Exxon.
(Source: http://multinationalmonitor.org/mm20...ne01names.html)
Now, the question is this: why is being rich a crime? Why is it wrong
to have rich people in
your Cabinet? Generally speaking, people who are qualified to serve in
positions such as
Secretary of Defense, Secretary of State are people who have done well
in their field. People
who are successful generally make more money.
· Presided over the biggest corporate stock market fraud of any
market in any country in the
history of the world.
"Presiding" is what a "President" does. In that sense, he was in
office while fraud occurred, but
no serious claim has been made that he had any hand in it. It's kind
of like saying "President
Carter presided over the Olympic Hockey team's gold medal in 1980." No
one seriously thinks
he had anything to do with it.
· Created the largest government department bureaucracy in the
history of the United States.
I suspect we're talking here about the Department of Homeland
Security, which was created in
2003 and combines the work of the Secret Service, Coast Guard,
Immigration and
Naturalization Service, Customs Service and the Transportation
Security Administration.
The Associated Press refers to the creation of the department as the
"the largest government
reorganization since the Defense Department was created in 1947."
Since this agency combines the work of already existing agencies and
consolidates efforts, I'm
not sure how this could be a bad thing, but I'll leave that up to you
to decide.
(Source: http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/2003/Homeland-Security-$33B-28feb03.htm)
May 19, 2003 Page 17 of 28
· Set the all-time record for biggest annual budget spending
increases, more than any president
in US history.
Time to cite directly from the Constitution:
"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties,
Imposts and Excises,
to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general
Welfare of the
United States…" (Article I, Section 8, Clause 1)
http://www.house.gov/Constitution/Constitution.html
There's a great summary of the US Budget Process on the House's web
site:
http://www.house.gov/rules_bud/annual.htm
In a nutshell, the President is not required to submit a budget, but
normally does. It is
considered a starting point for the Congressional Budget, which is
eventually passed and sent
on to the President for his signature.
To reiterate, the President does not spend the money – Congress does.
· First president in US history to have the United Nations remove the
US from the human rights
commission.
On May 4, 2001, the United States was voted off of the UN Human Rights
commission. Why?
From GlobalPolicy.org's reporting on the vote:
http://www.globalpolicy.org/unitedst...01/0504hrc.htm
"Amnesty International USA called the removal of the United States
from the commission "part
of an effort by nations that routinely violate human rights to escape
scrutiny." Amnesty accused
members of commission of failing to do their job, succumbing instead
to political and economic
pressures. "The U.S. was among the few nations willing to actively
push for condemnation at
the U.N.H.R.C. of the brutal human rights violations committed by
nations like China," it said.
At Human Rights Watch, Joanna Weschler, the group's representative at
the United Nations,
said the commission was becoming "a rogues' gallery of human rights
abusers." But she
added: "It wasn't just enemies. It was friends as well who voted the
U.S. out of the
commission." Friends of the United States in Europe and elsewhere have
grown increasingly
impatient, disappointed and annoyed with actions by Washington."
More information from the group Human Rights Watch can be found at:
http://www.hrw.org/press/2001/05/unvote0503.htm
http://www.hrw.org/un/
May 19, 2003 Page 18 of 28
It should be noted that the current members include Cuba, Sudan, and
China: nations that
routinely kill political prisoners and suppress human rights. A
complete list of the UN Human
Rights Commission can be found at:
http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu2/2/chrmem.htm
The United States is once again a member of the Commission.
· First president in US history to have the United Nations remove the
US from the elections
monitoring board.
First, the United Nations doesn't have an "elections monitoring
board"; however, they do have
an "Electoral Assistance Division". Here's the web site:
http://www.un.org/Depts/dpa/ead/ea_c..._un_system.htm
Second, the UN doesn't appear to have a committee or board that is
comprised by nations,
such as the Security Council or Human Rights Commission. Instead they
have a "roster of
experts" which assists in election monitoring worldwide.
Finally, I can't find any evidence that the UN removed the US from
anything having to do with
election monitoring over the last three years.
If anyone knows what the "resume" refers to on this point, please let
me know.
· Removed more checks and balances, and have the least amount of
congressional oversight
than any presidential administration in US history.
No evidence is cited for this, so I'm not sure what they're referring
to. I could find no evidence
of the dissolution of any Congressional committees of oversight, so
I'm not sure what to argue.
· Withdrew from the World Court of Law.
There is no such thing as the "World Court of Law." There is a body
popularly known as the
"World Court", though its official name is the Permanent Court of
International Justice.
According to the Columbia Encyclopedia, the United States was never a
member of the World
Court, because the Senate refused to ratify the protocol:
http://www.bartleby.com/65/wo/WorldCrt.html
What the Bush Administration did do, however, is remove the United
States from an
agreement to establish an International Criminal Court:
Incidentally, as of May 6, 2002, when the United States removed itself
from the agreement,
here are some of the other nations that refused entry into the new
court: China, India,
Pakistan, Indonesia, Iraq, Turkey, Egypt, Iran, Israel and Russia.
May 19, 2003 Page 19 of 28
· Refused to allow inspectors access to US prisoners of war and by
default no longer abide by
the Geneva Conventions.
This is blatantly false. Red Cross officials have reviewed the
conditions at Guantanamo Bay,
where the Afghan detainees are being held, as well as the conditions
of the Iraqi POWs. CNN
has written a story addressing the Geneva Convention and its salient
points:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/....tm/index.html
There are two issues raised by the CNN piece:
o No hearings have been held to establish the status of the 23,000
detainees at
Guantanamo (Corrected on 5/6, see "Changes" section for more info.)
o The reporters "embedded" with the military showed some Iraqi
captives on television.
However, no one has seriously suggested mistreatment of those held by
the United States, nor
has anyone seriously accused the US of abandoning the Geneva
Conventions.
· First president in US history to refuse United Nations election
inspectors (during the 2002 US
elections).
Try as I might, I could not find evidence of this anywhere. I'd be
happy to hear from anyone
who can provide documentation on it.
· All-time US (and world) record holder for most corporate campaign
donations.
Certainly GWB had more campaign money to spend in 2000 than did Al
Gore. According to
PoliticalMoneyLine.com, GWB had approximately $200 million to spend,
whereas Gore
collected $140 million. Interestingly, if you look at the breakdown of
the two candidates, the
difference lies in "individual contributions", not in
corporate/PAC/labor union money.
The following page provides a very interesting breakdown of money
contributed by various
industries to both political parties from 1991 forward:
http://www.fecinfo.com/cgi-win/x_sic.exe?DoFn=
While the GOP leads in most industries, the Democratic Party collected
nearly $50 million
dollars from labor unions.
So "the resume" is very cunning in specifying only "corporate campaign
donations". If you add
in labor unions (and Buddhist monks), the numbers tell a very
different story.
May 19, 2003 Page 20 of 28
· My biggest lifetime campaign contributor presided over one of the
largest corporate bankruptcy
frauds in world history (Kenneth Lay, former CEO of Enron
Corporation).
Not quite sure how to approach this one, since numbers would be very
difficult to locate. We
can establish this: Enron was an energy trading company; however, the
largest corporate/PAC
contributors to Bush's 2000 campaign were Finance/Insurance and
single-issue groups:
http://www.fecinfo.com/cgi-win/x_can...P00003335*2000
According to OpenSecrets.org, Kenneth Lay contributed only $75,000 to
the Bush
gubernatorial campaigns in 1994 and 1998:
http://www.opensecrets.org/2000elect...bush/index.asp
(Just in case you think Lay contributed to Bush through Enron itself,
please note: In Texas,
corporations and labor unions are prohibited from making direct
contributions to candidates,
but may make unlimited contributions to political parties up to 60
days before the election.)
· Spent more money on polls and focus groups than any president in US
history.
Unfortunately for the "resume", this is another falsehood. President
Bush, by even the largest
estimates, spent about 1 million dollars in his first year in office
on pollsters and focus groups.
President Clinton spent 2 million. The source? None other than
Bush-basher extraordinaire,
Maureen Dowd:
"In the new Washington Monthly, Joshua Green reveals the extent of
Bush polling:
Republican records show that "Bush's principal pollsters received
$346,000 in direct
payments in 2001. Add to that the multiple boutique polling firms the
administration
regularly employs for specialized and targeted polls and the figure is
closer to $1
million."
(That's about half as much as Mr. Clinton spent his first year, but
about $1 million more
than Mr. Bush led us to expect he'd spend.)" (Source: "Addiction to
Addition", New York
Times, April 3, 2002)
· First president in US history to unilaterally attack a sovereign
nation against the will of the
United Nations and the world community.
I earlier outlined the reasons we attacked Iraq and Afghanistan.
Please refer to that section for
more information. I would add this opinion: Just because the UN and
"world community" is
against your actions don't make those actions wrong.
Incidentally, we went into Iraq with the second-largest coalition of
nations since WWII:
Afghanistan, Albania, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Colombia, the
Czech Republic,
Denmark, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Hungary,
Italy, Japan, South Korea,
Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, the Netherlands, Nicaragua, the
Philippines, Poland, Romania,
Slovakia, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom and Uzbekistan.
May 19, 2003 Page 21 of 28
· First president to run and hide when the US came under attack on
September 11th (and then
lied saying the enemy had the code to Air Force 1)
Since there was only one president "when the US came under attack on
September 11th", this
is kind of an odd assertion. Secondly, it only makes sense when there
are multiple attacks
being carried out on the United States simultaneously that the
president would not present
himself as an open target. Third, I suspect that it was the military
and secret service that
suggested the president "run and hide", rather than the President
himself.
President Bush's first step on 9/11 was to travel to Barksdale Air
Force Base in Louisiana.
Since the United States was on nuclear alert, transporting the
President to an Air Force base is
not an unusual step. President Bush's second trip on 9/11 was to
Offutt Air Force Base in
Nebraska, at that time the home of the Strategic Air Command—again a
quite logical step
considering that we didn't know what other attacks would take place on
that day. By 7:00PM
that night, the President was back in Washington. (Clarification on
5/6, see "Changes" for info.)
(Source: http://www.infoplease.com/spot/sept112001.html)
Interestingly, only evidence of the "lie" that "the enemy had the code
to Air Force 1[sic]" is from
William Safire's column on September 13, 2001 entitled "Inside the
Bunker". Mr. Safire quoted
a "high White House official" who told him "A threatening message
received by the Secret
Service was relayed to the agents with the president that 'Air Force
One is next.'" Safire
continued: "According to the high official, American code words were
used showing a
knowledge of procedures that made the threat credible."
It is a far stretch indeed to then claim that Mr. Bush himself made
the claim.
· First US president to establish a secret shadow government.
I can't say whether or not GWB was the first to establish a secret
shadow government (after
all, it is secret), but here the Washington Post article outlining the
reasons:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer
The Post article documents the plan for "continuity of government",
which was first outlined
under President Reagan.
It's important to note that the need for a continuity plan is real:
should a rogue nation or
terrorist group attempt to decapitate the American government, a
contingency plan must be in
place.
· Took the biggest world sympathy for the US after 9/11, and in less
than a year made the US
the most resented country in the world (possibly the biggest
diplomatic failure in US and world
history).
I'm not sure how you'd even measure the "most resented country in the
world". (Is it a Gallup
Poll or something?) Furthermore, I can think of a few "diplomatic
failures" in world history that
are a little more egregious than what's happened in Iraq. (If you can
even call that a diplomatic
failure.) Off the top of my head, I'd say that WWI and WWII were
probably a little worse.
May 19, 2003 Page 22 of 28
· With a policy of 'disengagement' created the most hostile
Israeli-Palestine relations in at least
30 years.
Again, history bears out that relations at times have been worse
between the Israelis and
Palestinians than they are right now. Here are a few examples: (from
http://www.mideastweb.org/timeline.htm):
Oct. 6, 1973
Yom Kippur War (October War). In a surprise attack on the Jewish Day
of Atonement, Egypt
retook the Suez canal and a narrow zone on the other side. Syria
reconquered the Golan
Heights. Following massive US and Soviet resupplying of the sides,
Israel succeeded in
pushing back the Syrians and threatening Damascus. Ariel Sharon
crossed the Suez Canal
and cut off the Egyptian Third Army.
June 6, 1982
Massive Israeli invasion of Lebanon to fight PLO. UN Security Council
Resolution 509
demands that Israel withdraw all its military forces forthwith, but
Israel advances rapidly to
Beirut, surrounding the capital by 13 Jun. Israeli cabinet is split on
the sudden expansion of the
war, beyond the 40 KM limit originally declared by Sharon.
Sept. 28, 2000
Palestinians initiated riots after Israeli opposition leader Ariel
Sharon visited the Temple Mount,
which is also the location of the Haram as Sharif holy to Muslims.
Violence was apparently
encouraged by Fatah Tanzim, as admitted by Marwan Barghouhi. Violence
escalated rapidly
from rock throwing to machine gun and mortar fire, suicide bombings
and lethal road
ambushes, including some incidents instigated by settlers against
Palestinians. Israelis killed
15 Israeli Arabs in riots in September/October 2000, and over 2,000
Palestinians in retaliatory
raids thereafter. Palestinians kill over 700 Israelis. Violence
continues for over a year [to
present - March 2003].
· First US president in history to have a majority of the people of
Europe (71%) view my
presidency as the biggest threat to world peace and stability.
Again, I'd suggest that when you're sure that what you're doing is
right, it doesn't matter who
protests.
· First US president in history to have the people of South Korea
more threatened by the US
than their immediate neighbor, North Korea.
If I read this correct, this means that the United States is more of a
threat to South Korea than
is North Korea. Again, I'm not sure how this is measured, but I'll try
to present some evidence
myself.
Here's a Harris poll taken among the Japanese and South Koreans
regarding the US action
post-9/11:
http://www.harrisinteractive.com/har...ex.asp?PID=276
May 19, 2003 Page 23 of 28
There was a report done by Gallup Korea in December 2002, which does
appear to bear out
"the résumé's" allegation:
http://pidp.eastwestcenter.org/pirep.../04-23-eww.htm
So I don't quite know what to make of this one. I would say this: The
Bush administration is
probably not so much concerned about relations between North and South
Korea as they are
about the North's possession of nuclear weapons and their stated
intention to use them.
· Changed US policy to allow convicted criminals to be awarded
government contracts.
I haven't been able to find any evidence of this. I searched CNN's
database, but didn't come
up with anything close. Since pleading guilty to a speeding ticket
would make one a "convicted
criminal", I'm kid of skeptical that there was such a policy in the
first place.
If anyone can find any details on this, please let me know.
· Set all-time record for number of administration appointees who
violated US law by not selling
huge investments in corporations bidding for government contracts.
"The resume" provided no evidence for this. I searched CNN and
couldn't find any evidence.
You'd think if they set an "all-time record", there'd be more proof of
it, but I couldn't find any.
· Failed to fulfill my pledge to get Osama Bin Laden 'dead or alive'.
We still have troops on the ground in Afghanistan and Osama certainly
does appear to be a
sneaky SOB, but we have hardly "failed". We haven't given up.
(See answer to next question for more information.)
· Failed to capture the anthrax killer who tried to murder the
leaders of our country at the United
States Capital building. After 18 months I have no leads and zero
suspects.
The Department of Justice/FBI investigation continues. If you're
interested to know what's
going on, please refer to:
http://www.fbi.gov/anthrax/amerithraxlinks.htm
How "the resume" knows that there are no suspects is a mystery.
Attorney General Ashcroft
has named one person a "person of interest", though no action has been
taken.
What's curious about this claim and the previous one is this:
Criminals, such as the anthrax
killer and Osama Bin Laden, don't want to get caught. Therefore, they
do their evil deeds out
of plain sight. It took the FBI nearly twenty years to catch the
Unabomber. Eric Rudolph, the
abortion clinic bomber, has been on the lam for over 5 years now.
May 19, 2003 Page 24 of 28
· In the 18 months following the 9/11 attacks I have successfully
prevented any public
investigation into the biggest security failure in the history of the
United States.
On the contrary, as early as June 2002 there were congressional
hearings on the September
11 disaster: (The sessions were "closed-door", but they were public,
bipartisan investigations.)
http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/...ses/index.html
There was indeed opposition from the Bush administration:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/...ice/index.html
By September 2002 (well within the "18 months" cited by "the resume"),
the President agreed
that an independent probe needed to occur:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/...obe/index.html
Note that Congress couldn't get its act together and the commission
wasn't actually formed
until November 2002:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/...ess/index.html
· Removed more freedoms and civil liberties for Americans than any
other president in US
history.
How do you measure this? Again, no proof is given, so it's hard to
research. I will say this:
Since September 11, security measures have been implemented that
probably have curtailed
freedoms and civil liberties to some extent. But I'm not sure how to
prove or disprove this
point.
· In a little over two years created the most divided country in
decades, possibly the most
divided the US has ever been since the civil war.
I would suggest that 1968 was probably a little more contentious than
2001-2003. Here's a
great web site devoted to the events of that year, compiled by Brown
University:
http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/1968/
Let's look at a few events from that year:
· Martin Luther King Jr. is assassinated: "his death sparks rioting
in Baltimore, Boston,
Chicago, Detroit, Kansas City, Newark, Washington, D.C., and many
others. Across the
country 46 deaths will be blamed on the riots"
· Riots in the streets at the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago.
· Vietnam war rages: US troops kill 500 women and children at My Lai
I'd like to think that we have an appreciation of our history as
American citizens. If anyone
seriously thinks that the few protests over the Iraq war rival
anything that happened in 1968, I
may need to reconsider that opinion.
May 19, 2003 Page 25 of 28
· Entered office with the strongest economy in US history and in less
than two years turned
every single economic category heading straight down.
As the economy is a cyclical beast, some presidents are blessed with a
good economy, while
others are not. The financial policies of any president do not impact
the economy immediately;
therefore, I'd argue that President Clinton had something to do with
the problems we're seeing
today, just as Bush Sr. deserves some credit for the good economy
during the 1990s.
But, if you're going to pin the economy solely on Bush, at least look
at the numbers:
(http://www.econstats.com/blssaq1.htm)
· President Bush took office with a 3.8% inflation rate. It fell
every quarter between Q1
2001 and Q1 2003. This most recent quarter it is back to 3.8%.
· Average hourly earnings for Americans have risen every quarter that
President Bush
has been in office.
· Unemployment has risen for 8 of the 10 quarters that President Bush
has been in office,
but is still 1.5% lower than during the 1991-1993 recession.
Unemployment numbers
actually began to turn during President Clinton's last year in office.
Records and References
· At least one conviction for drunk driving in Maine (Texas driving
record has been erased and is
not available)
The President himself, as I mentioned earlier, has confirmed the first
claim. The evidence I
have found some evidence for the second claim is that when he became
Governor, Mr. Bush
received a new driver's license with a new number. I can find no
evidence that the original
record was erased.
· AWOL from National Guard and Deserted the military during a time of
war.
This is a false claim! Updated information can be found in the
"Changes" section at the
beginning of the document.
Again, this claim does appear to be true. I can't do any better
explaining the whole mess than
Cecil Adams does, on his website, "The Straight Dope":
Here's the story as generally agreed upon: In January 1968, with the
Vietnam war in full
swing, Bush was due to graduate from Yale. Knowing he'd soon be
eligible for the draft,
he took an air force officers' test hoping to secure a billet with the
Texas Air National
Guard, which would allow him to do his military service at home. Bush
didn't do
particularly well on the test--on the pilot aptitude section, he
scored in the 25th
percentile, the lowest possible passing grade. But Bush's father,
George H.W., was then
a U.S. congressman from Houston, and strings were pulled. The younger
Bush vaulted
to the head of a long waiting list--a year and a half long, by some
estimates--and in May
of '68 he was inducted into the guard.
May 19, 2003 Page 26 of 28
By all accounts Bush was an excellent pilot, but apparently his
enthusiasm cooled. In
1972, four years into his six-year guard commitment, he was asked to
work for the
campaign of Bush family friend Winton Blount, who was running for the
U.S. Senate in
Alabama. In May Bush requested a transfer to an Alabama Air National
Guard unit with
no planes and minimal duties. Bush's immediate superiors approved the
transfer, but
higher-ups said no. The matter was delayed for months. In August Bush
missed his
annual flight physical and was grounded. (Some have speculated that he
was worried
about failing a drug test--the Pentagon had instituted random
screening in April.) In
September he was ordered to report to a different unit of the Alabama
guard, the 187th
Tactical Reconnaissance Group in Montgomery. Bush says he did so, but
his nominal
superiors say they never saw the guy, there's no documentation he ever
showed up,
and not one of the six or seven hundred soldiers then in the unit has
stepped forward to
corroborate Bush's story.
After the November election Bush returned to Texas, but apparently
didn't notify his old
Texas guard unit for quite a while, if ever. The Boston Globe
initially reported that he
started putting in some serious duty time in May, June, and July of
1973 to make up for
what he'd missed. But according to a piece in the New Republic,
there's no evidence
Bush did even that. Whatever the case, even though his superiors knew
he'd blown off
his duties, they never disciplined him. (No one's ever been shot at
dawn for missing a
weekend guard drill, but policy at the time was to put shirkers on
active duty.) Indeed,
(Source: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/030411.html)
This is a false claim! Updated information can be found in the
"Changes" section at the
beginning of the document.
· Refuse to take drug test or even answer any questions about drug
use.
Not true.
First, it should be noted that on a number of occasions George W. Bush
has acknowledged he
drank too much as a young adult. He has since quit drinking and from
all reports, he is in
excellent physical condition.
Contrary to the claims of "the resume", Mr. Bush did answer questions
during the presidential
campaign about rumors of past drug use.
http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stori...rug/index.html
I'll leave it up to you to determine whether a presidential candidate
should submit to a drug
test.
May 19, 2003 Page 27 of 28
· All records of my tenure as governor of Texas have been spirited
away to my father's library,
sealed in secrecy and un-available for public view.
Again, completely untrue. Here's the website:
http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/arc/findingaids/bush.html
And a direct quote from the web site:
The records of Governor George W. Bush are available for research.
Researchers will
expedite the fulfillment of their reference requests by first
consulting finding aids.
Requests for records must follow the procedures set forth in the Texas
Public
Information Act.
The Records of Governor George W. Bush are available for research
despite the fact
that they have not been fully prepared for research. As the Archives'
staff prepares each
group of records, this finding aid is updated on the Web at TARO
(Texas Archival
Resources Online).
· All records of any SEC investigations into my insider trading or
bankrupt companies are sealed
in secrecy and un-available for public view.
I cannot find any evidence that these records have been "sealed in
secrecy". The SEC has
released some documents pertaining to the Harken investigation. I
cannot find any reference
to the investigation on the SEC website, but the search engine does
not appear to cover
documents prior to 1998.
Alexander's Gas and Oil Connections, described on their website as "a
site for the gas, oil and
affiliated industry giving an overview of the trends and happenings in
and around the global
energy-value chain", refers to "The internal corporate documents,
released by the Securities
and Exchange Commission"
http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache:klUtI1fKf-
AC:http://www.gasandoil.com/goc/company...Bush&hl=en&ie=
UTF-8
wish I could be more specific on where to find these documents, but I
did find one
corroborating source to show they are not "sealed in secrecy".
· All minutes of meetings for any public corporation I served on the
board are sealed in secrecy
and un-available for public view.
Referring to the claim above, internal corporate documents have been
released from the
Harken investigation. I don't know if they contained "minutes of
meetings" as addressed in
"the résumé's" claim.
May 19, 2003 Page 28 of 28
· Any records or minutes from meetings I (or my VP) attended
regarding public energy policy are
sealed in secrecy and un-available for public review.
Here's a link to a lot of information on the White House's energy
policy:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/energy/
The crux of this website is the report from the National Energy Policy
Development Group, of
which Vice President Cheney is a member. The report is in PDF format
and is downloadable.
Now, if you're talking about the secret meetings that Cheney attends
with the aliens who are in
control of the government, or the meetings where the President takes
briefcases full of cash
from corrupt businessmen, then yes—records and minutes from those
meetings are "sealed in
secrecy." (Please, it's a joke!)
· For personal references please speak to my daddy or uncle James
Baker (They can be
reached at their offices of the Carlyle Group for war-profiteering.)
This claim is no different than any other claim in "the resume": it is
filled with venom and anger.
Though it is impossible to prove or disprove, I suggest you look at
the rest of "the resume" to
assess its veracity.
john

The Truth About "George W. Bush's Resume"

http://www.crossbearer.com/resume/The_Truth.pdf

If one does not have an acrobat reader,

You can download Adobe Acrobat Reader for free at
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

Click on the "Get Acrobat Reader" logo in the lower left.

It is a very useful thing to have, many "pdf" documents on the web are
put in that format.

(Bobsprit) wrote in message ...
[...]

NH_/\)_

Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response. She said "I
believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've
been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and
to get out of our lives.

And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can
we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He
leave us alone?"

In light of recent events...terrorists attack, school shootings, etc. I
think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body
found recently) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we
said OK.

Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school ... the Bible says
thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as
yourself. And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they
misbehave because their little personalities would be warped and we might
damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an
expert should know what he's talking about. And we said OK.

Then someone said teachers and principals better not discipline our children
when they misbehave. The school administrators said no faculty member in
this school better touch a student when they misbehave because we don't want
any bad publicity, and we surely don't want to be sued (there's a big
difference between disciplining, touching, beating, smacking, humiliating,
kicking, etc.). And we said OK.

Then someone said, let's let our daughters have abortions if they want, and
they won't even have to tell their parents. And we said OK.

Then some wise school board member said, since boys will be boys and they're
going to do it anyway, let's give our sons all the condoms they want so they
can have all the fun they desire, and we won't have to tell their parents
they got them at school. And we said OK.

Then some of our top elected officials said it doesn't matter what we do in
private as long as we do our jobs. Agreeing with them, we said it doesn't
matter to me what anyone, including the President, does in private as long
as I have a job and the economy is good.

Then someone said let's print magazines with pictures of nude women and call
it wholesome, down-to-earth appreciation for the beauty of the female body.
And we said OK.

And then someone else took that appreciation a step further and published
pictures of nude children and then further again by making them available on
the Internet. And we said OK, they're entitled to free speech.

Then the entertainment industry said, let's make TV shows and movies that
promote profanity, violence, and illicit sex. Let's record music that
encourages rape, drugs, murder, suicide, and satanic themes. And we said
it's just entertainment, it has no adverse effect, nobody takes it seriously
anyway, so go right ahead.

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they
don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill
strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I
think it has a great deal to do with "WE REAP WHAT WE SOW."

Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why the
world's going to hell. Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but
question what the Bible says.

Funny how you can send 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread like wildfire
but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people think twice
about sharing.

Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass freely through
cyberspace, but public discussion of God is suppressed in the school and
workplace.

Are you laughing?

Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many on
your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they
WILL think of you for sending it. Funny how we can be more worried about
what other people think of us than what God thinks of us.

Pass it on if you think it has merit. If not then just discard it... no one
will know you did. But, if you discard this thought process, don't sit back
and complain about what bad shape the world is in!

NH_/)_

Bertie the Bunyip

"NH_/\)_" wrote in
:

Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response. She
said "I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but
for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out
of our government and to get out of our lives.

For ****'s sake.

Bertie

Capt. Mooron

How dare you rant about the supremacy of your ethics, morals and values
based on select religious contexts..... which to date have yet to be
attained in real life! Who the hell do you think you are to impose your
particular brand of brainwashed mentality onto me because you haven't the
aptitude or mental capacity to question anything!

What makes you think the path of your particular god has anymore merit than
someone else's?? It's because of your type of reasoning that we find each
other at odds due to fundamentalist views regarding who's interpretation of
a God is the most relevant!

Religious values should have no more merit or authority in the governing of
a country than allowing private manipulation and corruption in office to
achieve the ends of greed.

Keep your poetic waxing about the lack of religious guidance to your
Sabbath! While the priests molest and the mullahs preach death..... I'd
sooner stand aside and watch in humour as the delusional factions cancel
each other out in blood bath after blood bath screaming Peace on Earth!

You represent the most singularly ugly presence on this planet! Instead of
striving uniformly for positive change .... you strive only to convert or
remove! Look to religion.... it's been closely tied to every major war!

CM