Dave

Default Rec.boats ??

It's been many months since I visited this newsgroup. I used to check in
every few days or so, but haven't had the luxury of doing so for a long time
because of demands on my time from work. I see from the first 1000 messages
I've downloaded this morning, that a relatively small percentage of the
posts here actually have anything to do with boating. Seems a handful of
loudmouths have pretty much monopolized the group filling it with politics
and personal snipping ... very disappointing. Thanks to all you blowhards
for ruining what was supposed to be a forum for boating; maybe some of you
self-aggrandized mental giants can suggest where one might find a boating
forum that actually deals with boating?

Harry Krause

Gene Kearns wrote:

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 11:37:10 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

It's been many months since I visited this newsgroup. I used to check in
every few days or so, but haven't had the luxury of doing so for a long time
because of demands on my time from work. I see from the first 1000 messages
I've downloaded this morning, that a relatively small percentage of the
posts here actually have anything to do with boating. Seems a handful of
loudmouths have pretty much monopolized the group filling it with politics
and personal snipping ... very disappointing. Thanks to all you blowhards
for ruining what was supposed to be a forum for boating; maybe some of you
self-aggrandized mental giants can suggest where one might find a boating
forum that actually deals with boating?

I strongly suggest http://www.boatered.com If you can't self police
what you read here, boatered will make your decisions for you.

Indeed, Boatered is the cure. Maybe Noah should move there, too. It is
his kinda place.

--
Email sent to is never read.
JohnH

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 11:37:10 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

It's been many months since I visited this newsgroup. I used to check in
every few days or so, but haven't had the luxury of doing so for a long time
because of demands on my time from work. I see from the first 1000 messages
I've downloaded this morning, that a relatively small percentage of the
posts here actually have anything to do with boating. Seems a handful of
loudmouths have pretty much monopolized the group filling it with politics
and personal snipping ... very disappointing. Thanks to all you blowhards
for ruining what was supposed to be a forum for boating; maybe some of you
self-aggrandized mental giants can suggest where one might find a boating
forum that actually deals with boating?

Try this: http://www.tidalfish.com/home.asp
Just don't tell anyone else. Keep in mind that the boating season is over for
many of us. I could report on each occasion I put the charger on my batteries,
but that would get old quickly.

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
Harry Krause

JohnH wrote:

[...]

It's over? And I was hoping to get an invite for late fall fishing
aboard Poco Loco.

Are you staying at the same marina next season? I probably will, but I
seem to spend more of my fishing time down near the Nuke Plant and
south, and Solomons is a lot more convenient for the lower mid to south
Bay.

Email sent to is never read.
JohnH

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:49:23 -0500, Harry Krause wrote:

JohnH wrote:

[...]

I live in Alexandria, so Deale is the shortest drive for me. I am thinking of
moving to Solomon's when the wife retires. She likes the area also. I think
you're right about the fishing down there. I've heard that people are getting
buzzed by helicopters with megaphones fishing the rips at the power plant. That
was a fun place to go jigging, but I fear the fun may be over.

The CBBT seems to be where all the fall action was this year. I didn't hear of
much action in mid bay. I had no luck in September, and never went out again
after Isabel. Either work or the weather kept me off the water. The guy I
usually go with got stuck by a rockfish and developed a severe infection. The
antibiotics he was taking did bad things to his intestinal tract, so he wasn't
able to go for several weeks either. Oh well, spring is coming.

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

Harry Krause

JohnH wrote:

[...]

I cannot attest to the copters; I did visit the rips about a half-dozen
times this past season and didn't encounter anything out of the
ordinary. It's kinda silly, since anyone who wants to can slam a
shoulder-fired missile into the nuke plant while outside the "perimeter."

The CBBT seems to be where all the fall action was this year. I didn't hear of
much action in mid bay.

We're thinking of an Xmas-week trip to the CBBT. Stay in a cheapo motel
near Lynnhaven, go out on a couple charters and head boats. Guys only.
You got any interest? It's guaranteed to be cold, wet and
miserable...real fishing weather.

I had no luck in September, and never went out again
after Isabel.Either work or the weather kept me off the water. The guy I
usually go with got stuck by a rockfish and developed a severe infection. The
antibiotics he was taking did bad things to his intestinal tract, so he wasn't
able to go for several weeks either. Oh well, spring is coming.

Sheesh, you should have called me. You know you have a standing
invitation with me, despite your rather weird politics.

Yes...spring.

I might wander down to the Solomons for a closer look-see. I'd like to
find a boatyard there with safe storage AND a decent boat ramp. I like
where we are now, but the ramp is not my cup of tea.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Bill Andersen

you're missing the point.
the point is that this newsgroup is "rec.boats" and all the other crap is
posted here.
there shouldn't be a need for filters. except to omit Krause.
some people think they are the only ones with radio, tv or newspapers, and
feel obligated to repeat the news here.
some people obviously have no one to talk with, so they post their opinions
here.

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
[...]

Otherwise, dump the micro$oft outlook express, get a real newsreader,
set up filters to wade through the chaff for you, and enjoy your
reading.

For less than $30 you can lock out all of the riff-raff and OT
drivel.... you'd do the same buying a lock for your boat.... why not
your computer and the newsgroups?

See: http://www.forteinc.com/agent/features.php

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time

Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

swatcop

"Bill Andersen" wrote in message
you're missing the point.
the point is that this newsgroup is "rec.boats" and all the other crap is
posted here.
there shouldn't be a need for filters. except to omit Krause.
some people think they are the only ones with radio, tv or newspapers, and
feel obligated to repeat the news here.
some people obviously have no one to talk with, so they post their

opinions
here.

Well, fortunately for us this is still a FREE country and that sort of
behavior is tolerated here without a need for "newsgroup police." It's
kinda' like a radio - if you don't like what the station is playing, then
turn the knob. Wasting your time posting a message telling everyone what we
already know is pointless. We've already figured out how to "turn the knob."
--
-= swatcop =-

"If it wasn't for stupid people I'd be unemployed."

Harry Krause

swatcop wrote:

Well, fortunately for us this is still a FREE country and that sort of
behavior is tolerated here without a need for "newsgroup police." It's
kinda' like a radio - if you don't like what the station is playing, then
turn the knob. Wasting your time posting a message telling everyone what we
already know is pointless. We've already figured out how to "turn the knob."

I absolutely agree with this here fella.

--
Email sent to is never read.
noah

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:17:33 GMT, "swatcop" wrote:

"Bill Andersen" wrote in message
you're missing the point.
the point is that this newsgroup is "rec.boats" and all the other crap is
posted here.
there shouldn't be a need for filters. except to omit Krause.
some people think they are the only ones with radio, tv or newspapers, and
feel obligated to repeat the news here.
some people obviously have no one to talk with, so they post their

opinions
here.

Well, fortunately for us this is still a FREE country and that sort of
behavior is tolerated here without a need for "newsgroup police." It's
kinda' like a radio - if you don't like what the station is playing, then
turn the knob. Wasting your time posting a message telling everyone what we
already know is pointless. We've already figured out how to "turn the knob."

I find it interesting that you'd make this response.

It IS a "free country, as you stated, but a police officer, of all people,
would understand that there are also limits to individual freedom.

Laws, rules, covenants, convention, and even simple manners, are all in place to
help reasonable people to co-exist. This isn't the Wild West.

Are you saying that the desire and ability to post "Off-topic" legitimises the
action?

Here in New York we have a law banning drivers from using hand-held cell phones.
Drive down any street, and roughly two out of every ten drivers you meet will be
on their cell phones. I guess the fact that they want to, and can, makes it OK?

What an odd thing for a police officer to say...
Regards,
noah

To email me, remove the "OT-" from OT-wrecked.boats.noah.
....as you were. )

Proposed: "Preamble to FAQ- rec.boats" news_admin General 1 December 14th 03 03:19 PM
Another try: rec.boats ON-topic noah General 45 November 20th 03 05:00 PM
Obit: rec.boats Joe Parsons General 36 November 9th 03 07:30 PM
On-Topic: rec.boats FAQ noah General 11 September 29th 03 02:38 AM
Virus Alert- email from rec.boats Harry Krause General 22 September 22nd 03 12:44 AM