noah

Default Rec.boats ??

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 04:32:06 GMT, "swatcop" wrote:

(snip) Actually, there are "newsgroup police", but not here.

Just so I understand you correctly, who is "he" and "him"?

"He" is not you.

You seem to be suggesting that "anything goes", but I may have it
wrong.

Not ANYTHING, just things that are legal.

There are specific conventions of Usenet Protocol which discourage the
posting of off-topic material in a group. Are you suggesting that it
doesn't matter?

No, I'm not saying that it doesn't matter. What I'm saying is that it's not
against the law. You yourself just said "which DISCOURAGE the posting of
off-topic material..." "Discouraged" by definition does not equal
"forbidden," so I guess things like off-topic posting are just one of life's
little annoyances that we have to deal with. It may suck, but the newsgroup
police aren't going to show up at his door and yank his computer out of the
wall.

Thanks for the clarification. It is honestly appreciated.

Sometimes it's hard to "read" people in Real Life; on Usenet it's frequently
more difficult. I'd rather "ask" than pull a conclusion out of my arse. )

Regards,
noah

To email me, remove the "OT-" from OT-wrecked.boats.noah.
....as you were. )
noah

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:52:20 GMT, Dave Hall wrote:

noah wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:17:33 GMT, "swatcop" wrote:

"Bill Andersen" wrote in message
you're missing the point.
the point is that this newsgroup is "rec.boats" and all the other crap is
posted here.
there shouldn't be a need for filters. except to omit Krause.
some people think they are the only ones with radio, tv or newspapers, and
feel obligated to repeat the news here.
some people obviously have no one to talk with, so they post their
opinions
here.
Well, fortunately for us this is still a FREE country and that sort of
behavior is tolerated here without a need for "newsgroup police." It's
kinda' like a radio - if you don't like what the station is playing, then
turn the knob. Wasting your time posting a message telling everyone what we
already know is pointless. We've already figured out how to "turn the knob."

I find it interesting that you'd make this response.

It IS a "free country, as you stated, but a police officer, of all people,
would understand that there are also limits to individual freedom.

Perhaps, if he were to have prefaced his statement with the words
"Absent any laws which prohibit......" first, you would have had less
trouble accepting it?

Dave

Well, yes, and no.
Usenet, in general, isn't structured with "laws". Different ISP's and news
servers have (more or less) similar Terms of Service policies. Different groups
have individual Charters and FAQ's, and the whole of it comes under Usenet
Etiquette. None of this is "law". Most reasonable people abide by the
principles.
Regards,
noah

To email me, remove the "OT-" from OT-wrecked.boats.noah.
....as you were. )
Harry Krause

noah wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:19:13 -0500, Harry Krause wrote:

noah wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:48:17 GMT, "swatcop"
wrote:

The "gist" of my message was supposed to be read as "there isn't any
newsgroup police, therefore your rude and stupid posts may be legal, but
certainly not desired. The readers' options are limited, so we'll just tune
you out."

Do I think he's an idiot? You betcha.' Are the "newsgroup police" going to
make an arrest for unwanted posting? I seriously doubt it. Is he allowed to
do it? Yep, all day, everyday. Does anybody want to read his crap? Probably
not, which is why we have the ability to choose whether or not to read his
crap. Don't misinterpret my originally posted poorly worded analogy as being
on his side, I assure you that I'm not. But there's no law prohibiting him
from being an idiot (unfortunately). So I guess we'll just ignore him.

Actually, there are "newsgroup police", but not here.

Just so I understand you correctly, who is "he" and "him"?

You seem to be suggesting that "anything goes", but I may have it
wrong.

You're an ass, Noah. But you are entitled to be one.

Thanks for your consent, Harry. I don't know what I would have done without it.

You know, for a guy with your apparent intelligence, and obvious verbal skills,
you never fail to initiate name calling and personal insults. I once valued
your opinion, but no more. It is as valueless as your "debating style".

I strongly disagree with the Off-topic posting taking over this group. If that
makes me an ass, I'll live with it.
Regards,
noah

Nah...it's not that you disagree that makes you an ass, Noah. It's the
way you disagree.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Jack Meholf

I can't believe that the most obnoxious, disagreeable person on Usenet would
possible make this statement.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Nah...it's not that you disagree that makes you an ass, Noah. It's the
way you disagree.

I guess it does show how removed from reality you are. You don't like
Noah's comment because of the "way" he disagreed with you, you view him as
someone who is infringing on your right to be an ass.

Harry Krause

noah wrote:

[...]

Help me out here, I'm hard-pressed to recall a posting string you
originated that was directly related to recreational boating. Have I
missed the last 20 original bon mots of yours that related to
recreational boating?

On 10/30, you posted a response to a post about a computer virus...then
there were about a dozen posts about audiophile topies...about 30
concerning off-topic posts...then something about a freighter sinking in
Albany...then about 20 complaining about me...

Tell us all about the kind of boating you do, Noah...about your boat,
where you boat, what you do on your boat, how you maintain your boat,
how fast your boat is or isn't, what kind of repairs you've done yourself.

You know, posts related to...rec.boating.

On-topic posts.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Harry Krause

Jack Meholf wrote:

I can't believe that the most obnoxious, disagreeable person on Usenet would
possible make this statement.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Nah...it's not that you disagree that makes you an ass, Noah. It's the
way you disagree.

I guess it does show how removed from reality you are. You don't like
Noah's comment because of the "way" he disagreed with you, you view him as
someone who is infringing on your right to be an ass.

How much did you get for that wakeboard boat, Jim, er, Jack?

--
Email sent to is never read.
noah

wrote:

[...]

On the off-chance that you are being sincere, can you be specific?
I think I have been pretty straightforward, without the name-calling.
Regards,
noah

To email me, remove the "OT-" from OT-wrecked.boats.noah.
....as you were. )
noah

noah wrote:

[...]

As we age, our memory slips a bit. Perhaps you were busy posting.

On 10/30, you posted a response to a post about a computer virus...then
there were about a dozen posts about audiophile topies...about 30
concerning off-topic posts...then something about a freighter sinking in
Albany...then about 20 complaining about me...

I haven't been around as much as I normally would like to be.
If it matters, my mother is quite ill. We all have "real life" problems now and
then.

Tell us all about the kind of boating you do, Noah...about your boat,
where you boat, what you do on your boat, how you maintain your boat,
how fast your boat is or isn't, what kind of repairs you've done yourself.

You know, posts related to...rec.boating.

If you had bothered to read them, Harry, I have posted about all my boats, and
different experiences I've had. I've also gotten good repair advice, and I try
to help where I can. If you didn't read them, I can't help it.

We don't all measure our paticipation by the sheer number of posts we can "up"
in a 24 hour period.

On-topic posts.

Yes. On-topic posts. If I were to post everytime a politician farts, perhaps
you would be more familiar with them, as I am with yours.

It's not personal for me, Harry. You and I share "some" opinions and ideology.
I flat-out covet your Parker, and wish I lived in an area that had a longer
boating season. You are not the only prolific OT poster. Pure and simple, I
believe that most of the OT posts belong in other, more appropriate, groups. I
approached you to attempt to discuss it, and I now see that I made a mistake.
My mistake.

Regards,
noah

To email me, remove the "OT-" from OT-wrecked.boats.noah.
....as you were. )

Harry Krause

wrote:

[...]

Sure, I *can* be specific.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Proposed: "Preamble to FAQ- rec.boats" news_admin General 1 December 14th 03 03:19 PM
Another try: rec.boats ON-topic noah General 45 November 20th 03 05:00 PM
Obit: rec.boats Joe Parsons General 36 November 9th 03 07:30 PM
On-Topic: rec.boats FAQ noah General 11 September 29th 03 02:38 AM
Virus Alert- email from rec.boats Harry Krause General 22 September 22nd 03 12:44 AM