noah

Default Rec.boats ??

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:52:20 GMT, Dave Hall wrote:

noah wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:17:33 GMT, "swatcop" wrote:

"Bill Andersen" wrote in message
you're missing the point.
the point is that this newsgroup is "rec.boats" and all the other crap is
posted here.
there shouldn't be a need for filters. except to omit Krause.
some people think they are the only ones with radio, tv or newspapers, and
feel obligated to repeat the news here.
some people obviously have no one to talk with, so they post their
opinions
here.
Well, fortunately for us this is still a FREE country and that sort of
behavior is tolerated here without a need for "newsgroup police." It's
kinda' like a radio - if you don't like what the station is playing, then
turn the knob. Wasting your time posting a message telling everyone what we
already know is pointless. We've already figured out how to "turn the knob."

I find it interesting that you'd make this response.

It IS a "free country, as you stated, but a police officer, of all people,
would understand that there are also limits to individual freedom.

Perhaps, if he were to have prefaced his statement with the words
"Absent any laws which prohibit......" first, you would have had less
trouble accepting it?

Dave

Well, yes, and no.
Usenet, in general, isn't structured with "laws". Different ISP's and news
servers have (more or less) similar Terms of Service policies. Different groups
have individual Charters and FAQ's, and the whole of it comes under Usenet
Etiquette. None of this is "law". Most reasonable people abide by the
principles.
Regards,
noah

To email me, remove the "OT-" from OT-wrecked.boats.noah.
....as you were. )