Default No golf today

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 16:44:15 -0500, John H.
wrote:

The only place I see our Vietnam fiasco mentioned is here...and mostly
by the boys who lost the war.

With, according to you, your help. Thanks for all your support!

===

Harry had a very important but highly classified job in Vietnam. Just
ask him. He's been under live fire more times than Hillary!

John H. wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 05:03:47 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

John H.
"But almost all of my fishing was between Deale and the Patuxent. Only fishing in the
Potomac was for catfish in the channel with grandkids.

The extra salt may mean a new exhaust manifold sooner...five years, maybe? But, it
appeas very easy to replace on that four. And it looks like they run less than $400.
On the V8, they were a bitch, and much more expensive, of course."

...and I was worried about the bellows rotting out! Salesman said it
should last 15 years.
A new exhaust manifold every five years doesn't
appeal to me. You'd think they would come up with a better material.
I've never owned an inboard/outboard and I am a bit leary about it. I'd
better start reading up on how the engine cooling system works and how
much routine maintenance is required.
Already I can see that the optional 23" deep swim platform is going to
make flushing the lower end a bit harder. The idea is that platform will
make it easier for the dog to reboard after swimming. The 170BR with
outboard motor has a very narrow reboarding spot next to the outboard well.

Well, you'd best adapt to the extra difficulty, 'cause you'll want to flush it every
time you use it. Do they have a hose connection on them now, or will you have to get
a set of muffs? If muffs, don't skimp. Get good ones that fit snugly. My I/O boat was
11 years old when I traded it in, and I'd put new manifolds on it at about the 9-10
year mark, not seven as I'd said earlier. I did have mine magnaflux tested about the
7 year mark. That was worthwhile, but luckily I had a son-in-law who had it done for
me - free.
--

Ban liars, tax cheats, idiots, and narcissists...not guns!

My manifolds are freshwater cooled. Elbows will be the only thing needing
replacing. I have closed cooling, with heat exchanger.

True North wrote:
FlatulentJim farts...

A local BJs wholesale club was selling the exact same model through a
local boat dealer last year for $17995. That's probably $30,000
canadian. That's a lot of cash to pay for something Harry thinks very
little of."

Guess I got a good deal then.
On the sales sticker the dealer estimated that 2016 models in Canadian would be around $30k.
Mine is a left over 2015 ordered before our loonie really nose dived. Same old motor for the time being although there are plans to retire the 3.0 in favour of a 4.3 I believe. That sounds like a big engine for a 17.5 foot open boat.

If you want to pull a skier, tuber, etc., the 4.3 is the only way to go.

John H. wrote:
On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 21:37:40 -0500, Alex wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 19:38:42 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

Ditzy Dan Kruger blathers...
True North wrote:
Oh boy...now I feel really cold.
Local CBC says it's minus 12C but feels like minus 23C due to wind.
I'd better buy a new outdoor thermometer...or place the current one further from the house.
"Sure you can afford one?"

I can afford to buy a new boat, dummy.
Wife and I picked out one yesterday at the local boat show.
So? Come on...tell us more. Pictures?

Here I've spent hours reading and listening to computer sound systems, and you're
doing something constructive!
--

Ban liars, tax cheats, idiots, and narcissists...not guns!

I have these. The controller is outstanding!

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/...nion5_graphite

I looked at that in Best Buy. If they'd had one in stock, I may have brought it home.
Luckily, they were out of them. I came home, moved the subwoofer to a different spot,
and listened to the Saint-Saëns symphony at a reasonable volume. Sounded great, so
I'm going to stick with these old Logitech Z2300s for a while longer.
--

Ban liars, tax cheats, idiots, and narcissists...not guns!

I bought mine from the Bose outlet store. 30% off retail and they seem
to hold their distributors to retail prices.

John H. wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 00:29:39 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 12:55:32 -0500, John H.
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 21:40:45 -0500, Alex wrote:

True North wrote:
John H.
"So? Come on...tell us more. Pictures?

Here I've spent hours reading and listening to computer sound systems, and you're
doing something constructive!"

Won't actually have it until May. Have to go back to the Boat Show on their dime to sign the paperwork around 1100 hrs.
Since I'm somewhat limited by our narrow driveway, the new boat is only a foot longer and a few inches wider. Since it's made of fiberglass, it's about 50 per cent heavier. In order to not get bitten by our seventy cent dollar, I opted for a brand new 2015 model.
Since I'll be doing my deep water sailing on a 39 foot sailboat this summer the idea was to not spend too much money to get something the wife will want to go out on on fine days.
There were two versions of the same boat. The outboard model and a MerCruiser 3.0 I/O model with a big extended swim platform to make it easier for us and the dog to re-board. It's a compromise as usual. Could have gotten a bare bones more sea worthy boat for a bit more, but the wife wouldn't hear of it.
It's a Bayliner 175BR. Yeah, I know...they had their problems with quality a few years back but the salesman convinced me that they are reasonably solid now and with the light useage and short season up here, it should last me the rest of my boating career.

Did you expect the salesman to convince you of anything else? I would
never own an I/O for sal****er use on any boat.
The exhaust manifold should be pretty easy to switch out on that inline 4. Very
accessible, and only one of them. I had to replace mine, on the 5.7L, after about
seven years. But, if I had the choice, I'd take the outboard. Either way he'll have
to flush it after every trip. Keeping the boat in the driveway makes flushing much
more handy then trying to find a wash rack somewhere.

You are not really is salt water tho, The upper bay and the river is
barely brackish at 10 ppt or less, much less up near DC or Annapolis.
I have caught small mouth Bass on Haines Point. (down near where that
"crawling out of the ground" sculpture used to be.)

But almost all of my fishing was between Deale and the Patuxent. Only fishing in the
Potomac was for catfish in the channel with grandkids.

The extra salt may mean a new exhaust manifold sooner...five years, maybe? But, it
appeas very easy to replace on that four. And it looks like they run less than $400.
On the V8, they were a bitch, and much more expensive, of course.
--

Ban liars, tax cheats, idiots, and narcissists...not guns!

Then there are the bellows...

I had and I/O that was in 100% freshwater. Never again.

True North wrote:
[...]

"salesman said"... really? I thought you were smarter than that. They
do make stainless exhaust manifolds.

On 2/22/2016 8:21 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 13:18:59 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Most of the "I/O problems" get mitigated somewhat when you are on a
trailer. Sitting in the water is trouble. A little bellows leak that
your bilge pump handles on a day trip is a sunk boat if it is sitting
in the water. The LU will stay wet too so you may end up with all the
problems that entails. Again, up on the trailer, no sweat.
They have a real bad rep in Florida.

I've been ocean boating since about 1993. I don't personally know
anyone who's boat sank because of a leaky bellows. Doesn't mean it
hasn't happened but the number of people I have known with I/O's who
keep them in slips during the season is a pretty good sampling.

The word there is "season" I guess.Our season is 12 months. I got
convinced by the locals here. The I/O was very popular in the
Chesapeake. You seldom see one here unless it has northern numbers or
it is a big "go fast".

Our six month "off" season is probably as tough or tougher on a rubber
bellows than your 12 month season in the water. Typically, they are
stored outside, subjected to winter weather and temps sometimes at or
below zero. Still have never heard of even an older I/O sinking due to
a bellows failure.
Tim Tim is offline

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 5:20:29 PM UTC-6, Califbill wrote:
John H. wrote:
[...]

Closed system is actually the best way to go. a friend of mine loves to boat about year around that is when he can, and installed a heater core in the cuddy so he can duck inside and get warmed up.

Plus, the automotive style engine can warm up to a toasty 180 degrees and run more effeciantly than thee usual 130 degree raw water system.

New golf hat... John H[_2_] General 2 August 21st 13 09:04 PM
Lovely Day on the Golf Course Today! John H[_2_] General 7 May 24th 13 03:03 PM
Why I play golf John H[_2_] General 31 June 11th 11 02:10 AM
No Golf Today John H[_12_] General 23 January 11th 10 05:06 PM
Golf... Short Wave Sportfishing General 23 February 29th 08 01:30 AM