Default No golf today

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 08:38:21 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

John H.
"Well, you'd best adapt to the extra difficulty, 'cause you'll want to flush it every
time you use it. Do they have a hose connection on them now, or will you have to get
a set of muffs? If muffs, don't skimp. Get good ones that fit snugly. My I/O boat was
11 years old when I traded it in, and I'd put new manifolds on it at about the 9-10
year mark, not seven as I'd said earlier. I did have mine magnaflux tested about the
7 year mark. That was worthwhile, but luckily I had a son-in-law who had it done for
me - free."

I guess I can skip the flushing when boating on freshwater lakes...as I do with the Mercury 60 Big Foot.
I much prefer salt ot brackish water and I estimate I'll be flushing 75 per cent of the time. My current outboard does have the hose connection so I flush it both ways. I have two sets of muffs. The newer version is the one I saw the dealer use so I bought it at a local Marine store. It has the thin metal rod that passes through the inlet holes and out the other side to help snug the rubber cups up. Sometimes you have to fiddle a bit more with it and that will make it worse reaching under that platform. Might have to dig out my garage creeper to get down there. Did your boat spend many nights on the water or was it loaded back on the trailer every time?

I wouldn't skip flushing, ever.
--

Ban liars, tax cheats, idiots, and narcissists...not guns!

[...]

Whoops, hit 'send' too soon. My boats were always taken out of the water after each
trip, either loaded on the trailer or lifted into an indoor bay.

Something like this? Looks like it would work well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrYNJa8y9Zc
--

Ban liars, tax cheats, idiots, and narcissists...not guns!

John H.
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 08:38:21 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

"Whoops, hit 'send' too soon. My boats were always taken out of the water after each
trip, either loaded on the trailer or lifted into an indoor bay.

Something like this? Looks like it would work well."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrYNJa8y9Zc

That's my new muffs he's using except mine didn't come with the short piece of hose.

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 16:47:28 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

Ah, Skipper...about the only right-winger who ever posted here who
actually could turn a phrase, write decently and tell interesting tales
about his boating "adventures."

===

You could write interesting tales about your boating adventures also
if you had any.

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 13:18:59 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 2/22/2016 1:11 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 05:03:47 -0800 (PST), True North
wrote:

John H.
"But almost all of my fishing was between Deale and the Patuxent. Only fishing in the
Potomac was for catfish in the channel with grandkids.

The extra salt may mean a new exhaust manifold sooner...five years, maybe? But, it
appeas very easy to replace on that four. And it looks like they run less than $400.
On the V8, they were a bitch, and much more expensive, of course."

...and I was worried about the bellows rotting out! Salesman said it should last 15 years.
A new exhaust manifold every five years doesn't appeal to me. You'd think they would come up with a better material.
I've never owned an inboard/outboard and I am a bit leary about it. I'd better start reading up on how the engine cooling system works and how much routine maintenance is required.
Already I can see that the optional 23" deep swim platform is going to make flushing the lower end a bit harder. The idea is that platform will make it easier for the dog to reboard after swimming. The 170BR with outboard motor has a very narrow reboarding spot next to the outboard well.

Most of the "I/O problems" get mitigated somewhat when you are on a
trailer. Sitting in the water is trouble. A little bellows leak that
your bilge pump handles on a day trip is a sunk boat if it is sitting
in the water. The LU will stay wet too so you may end up with all the
problems that entails. Again, up on the trailer, no sweat.
They have a real bad rep in Florida.

I've been ocean boating since about 1993. I don't personally know
anyone who's boat sank because of a leaky bellows. Doesn't mean it
hasn't happened but the number of people I have known with I/O's who
keep them in slips during the season is a pretty good sampling.

===

I kept our old I/O in salt water several years before we moved to
Florida. It was an old 1979 boat and never had any problems. Here in
Florida we kept it in a boat lift but never flushed it. I eventually
got rid of it because the floor boards were getting soft and we got a
really good deal on a Sea Ray bow rider.

New golf hat... John H[_2_] General 2 August 21st 13 09:04 PM
Lovely Day on the Golf Course Today! John H[_2_] General 7 May 24th 13 03:03 PM
Why I play golf John H[_2_] General 31 June 11th 11 02:10 AM
No Golf Today John H[_12_] General 23 January 11th 10 05:06 PM
Golf... Short Wave Sportfishing General 23 February 29th 08 01:30 AM