Dan Krueger

Default Boat insurance questions

The Dry Tortugas is a US national park and, therefore, US waters. The Bahamas
are not. You should have asked about Puerto Rico or Guam. I wonder what their
rule book says about that, provided you can enter those areas without crossing
another country's territorial waters.

Next stop -- St. Croix!

Dan

Selective quoting follows...

NOYB wrote:

Boat/US seems like the company that I'll probably remain with thanks to this
well-thought-out response. The only thing that perplexes me is why they
would cover me on a trip to the Dry Tortugas (100+ miles), and not to the
Bahamas (approx. 50 miles from mainland US). Truth be told, I'll probably
not do either unless I repower...but I sure appreciated a decent answer to
the hypothetical.

The cruising limits portion of the binder states: "U.S. Atlantic Coastal
Waters including Florida-Atlantic and Gulf coastal and inland waters
tributary thereto of the U.S. and Canada between St. John, New Brunswick

and

Mobile, Alabama, inclusive."

So I called them and asked "how far out can I go? What is considered
*coastal* waters?"

The agent replied that I could go out as far as I'd like as long as I

didn't

enter another country's terratorial waters.

NOYB

I don't think Puerto Rico and Guam fall under the description of "Atlantic
and Gulf coastal waters". In fact, as my policy is written, it seems I
couldn't tow the boat and use it in California. I wonder if I could trailer
it to a land-locked, non-tributary lake?

ink.net...

NOYB wrote:

[...]

Paul Schilter

NOYB,
The only answer I can think of is that there are islands that you could
take shelter on a trip to the Tortugas, plus there is quite a bit of boat
traffic on this route compared to the Bahamas. Just a guess on my part.
Paul

"NOYB" wrote in message
k.net...
Deleted

Boat/US seems like the company that I'll probably remain with thanks to

this
well-thought-out response. The only thing that perplexes me is why they
would cover me on a trip to the Dry Tortugas (100+ miles), and not to the
Bahamas (approx. 50 miles from mainland US). Truth be told, I'll probably
not do either unless I repower...but I sure appreciated a decent answer to
the hypothetical.

Deleted

NOYB

The islands that can give you shelter on the way to the Dry Tortugas are no
closer than the nearest islands in the bahamas. The underwriter did mention
the gulfstream several times.

"If you lost power in the Gulfstream, you would be up by the Carolina's
before anybody knew you were missing. Not a good situation in a 25' open
boat."

I guess that's probably the best rationale argument for the discrepancy.

"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast,dot,net wrote in message
NOYB,
The only answer I can think of is that there are islands that you

could
take shelter on a trip to the Tortugas, plus there is quite a bit of boat
traffic on this route compared to the Bahamas. Just a guess on my part.
Paul

"NOYB" wrote in message
k.net...
Deleted

Boat/US seems like the company that I'll probably remain with thanks to

this
well-thought-out response. The only thing that perplexes me is why they
would cover me on a trip to the Dry Tortugas (100+ miles), and not to

the
Bahamas (approx. 50 miles from mainland US). Truth be told, I'll

probably
not do either unless I repower...but I sure appreciated a decent answer

the hypothetical.

Deleted

Wayne.B

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:15:46 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:
"If you lost power in the Gulfstream, you would be up by the Carolina's
before anybody knew you were missing. Not a good situation in a 25' open
boat."

I guess that's probably the best rationale argument for the discrepancy.

I agree. The gulfstream is also known for its severe and
unpredictable weather.