Harry Krause

Default Boat insurance questions

NOYB wrote:
Here's an update on my original post. The first lady/robot I spoke with
over there at Boat/US was not very helpful. I called back, spoke with a guy
in underwriting, and I am very satisfied with his response. Here it is:

"Having reviewed your request for Bahamas coverage, I am now able to more
explicitly explain the conditions that you must meet before we are able to
provide a cruising limit that includes the Bahamas.

As your boat is currently rigged (specifically the single outboard and
relatively small size of the vessel), the only way we can insure the vessel
while traveling to and once in the Bahamas, is to issue endorsements to the
current policy on a case by case basis. Whether or not we are able to issue
such an endorsement relies almost exclusively on the number and size of
boats that would be traveling both to and from the Bahamas with you. More
simply put; if you wish to take your boat in its current condition to the
Bahamas, we well require you to cross both ways with a flotilla.

In the event that you re-power your boat with new twin outboards, we will
gladly supply you with year round coverage in and between the Bahamas for an
additional $100 per year.

In regards to Dry Tortugas coverage: your assessment of the language in the
printed cruising limit you received was correct, that is to say, you are
presently covered and have year round access to the Dry Tortugas and
surrounding waters.

I apologize for any inconsistencies that you received from us involving
conditions that must be met, actions that must be performed or minimum boat
size and power to receive Bahamas coverage. Typically, any boat under 30
feet is scrutinized fairly heavily to begin with. The length of your boat,
coupled with the single outboard, placed the vessel in a category of boat
that we do not usually grant access to the Bahamas. We have no exact set of
parameters used to dictate coverage, and it is because of this that you
received conflicting answers over the telephone. However, the upside of not
adhering to precise rules and guidelines is that we are able to make
exceptions for customers."

Boat/US seems like the company that I'll probably remain with thanks to this
well-thought-out response. The only thing that perplexes me is why they
would cover me on a trip to the Dry Tortugas (100+ miles), and not to the
Bahamas (approx. 50 miles from mainland US). Truth be told, I'll probably
not do either unless I repower...but I sure appreciated a decent answer to
the hypothetical.

"NOYB" wrote in message
.net...
I just bought a 25' boat, called my insurance company (State Farm) to

insure
it, and they told me they would not write a policy on a boat stored at a
marina in a "coastal area". Huh? The boat is stored on a rack in a

covered
building. My other boat, a 17' center console, is stored on a trailer at

an
inland storage facility...and the same State Farm agent had no problem
insuring that one.

Soooo....
I called the only other company (Boat US) for which I had the phone number
at that particular moment. They wanted to know where the boat was

primarily
being used (Florida Gulf), but didn't ask where it was stored. I was

happy
how easily the process went over the phone...until I got my "binder".

The cruising limits portion of the binder states: "U.S. Atlantic Coastal
Waters including Florida-Atlantic and Gulf coastal and inland waters
tributary thereto of the U.S. and Canada between St. John, New Brunswick

and
Mobile, Alabama, inclusive."

So I called them and asked "how far out can I go? What is considered
*coastal* waters?"

The agent replied that I could go out as far as I'd like as long as I

didn't
enter another country's terratorial waters.

"Could I go to the Bahamas?" I asked

She replied "No. You only have a single engine"

I asked "Could I get a 2nd engine and then go?"

She said "No. Your boat is under 26'."

I responded "A 43' Torres with a single engine wouldn't qualify?"

She said "Oh no...a 43' boat could go"

I asked "What about the second engine."

She responded "That's only for boats under 26'."

"But I thought you said boats under 26' couldn't go...even with two
engines!" I exclaimed (getting quite agitated now).

She responded "Look. The only way you can go to the Bahamas and still be
convered is if you travel in a flotilla."

I asked "How do you define a *flotilla*?"

"Several boats" she replied.

"Several...meaning me and another?" I asked.

"Nope. You and at least two other boats." she responded.

"What if the other boats are smaller than mine?" I asked

"They have to be longer than yours?"

"Do they qualify even if they all have only one engine? Just
kidding...please fax me a copy of your specific policy on travelling to
other contries' terratorial waters."

This conversation took place two hours ago...and I'm still waiting for the
fax.

Does anybody have any pros/cons/experience with Boat US
comprehensive/liability insurance? Does anybody recommend any other
specific company that might be better to deal with?

I've used BOAT/US for more than 10 years. I've never had to file a
claim, but I know people who have, and they were generally satisfied
with the outcome.

BOAT/US is a broker, and I believe it also engages in general
underwriting. Basically, it has fairly large insurance companies
fronting its paper, and earns a commission off each "sale."

Typically, some of these large insurance companies will not deal direct
with the consumer.

Email sent to will never reach me.