Greg Boyles

Default Boat insurance questions

Wow,
I am looking into insurance for my boat I am purchasing a 32 ft live aboard.
I was told that Progressive isn't a bad provider. But I don't know the
details yet.

I hope your experience gets better.
Greg

"NOYB" wrote in message
.net...
I just bought a 25' boat, called my insurance company (State Farm) to

insure
it, and they told me they would not write a policy on a boat stored at a
marina in a "coastal area". Huh? The boat is stored on a rack in a

covered
building. My other boat, a 17' center console, is stored on a trailer at

an
inland storage facility...and the same State Farm agent had no problem
insuring that one.

Soooo....
I called the only other company (Boat US) for which I had the phone number
at that particular moment. They wanted to know where the boat was

primarily
being used (Florida Gulf), but didn't ask where it was stored. I was

happy
how easily the process went over the phone...until I got my "binder".

The cruising limits portion of the binder states: "U.S. Atlantic Coastal
Waters including Florida-Atlantic and Gulf coastal and inland waters
tributary thereto of the U.S. and Canada between St. John, New Brunswick

and
Mobile, Alabama, inclusive."

So I called them and asked "how far out can I go? What is considered
*coastal* waters?"

The agent replied that I could go out as far as I'd like as long as I

didn't
enter another country's terratorial waters.

"Could I go to the Bahamas?" I asked

She replied "No. You only have a single engine"

I asked "Could I get a 2nd engine and then go?"

She said "No. Your boat is under 26'."

I responded "A 43' Torres with a single engine wouldn't qualify?"

She said "Oh no...a 43' boat could go"

I asked "What about the second engine."

She responded "That's only for boats under 26'."

"But I thought you said boats under 26' couldn't go...even with two
engines!" I exclaimed (getting quite agitated now).

She responded "Look. The only way you can go to the Bahamas and still be
convered is if you travel in a flotilla."

I asked "How do you define a *flotilla*?"

"Several boats" she replied.

"Several...meaning me and another?" I asked.

"Nope. You and at least two other boats." she responded.

"What if the other boats are smaller than mine?" I asked

"They have to be longer than yours?"

"Do they qualify even if they all have only one engine? Just
kidding...please fax me a copy of your specific policy on travelling to
other contries' terratorial waters."

This conversation took place two hours ago...and I'm still waiting for the
fax.

Does anybody have any pros/cons/experience with Boat US
comprehensive/liability insurance? Does anybody recommend any other
specific company that might be better to deal with?