Default Buying a generator

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:18:29 -0500, Richard Casady
wrote:

Your tools
will be much happier on sine wave power and if you get one big enough,
your wife will be able to run her hair drier from it. Hint. :-)

Does an AC/DC motor care that much about the wave form?

They sure do. I've owned several so called "modified sine wave"
inverters in the past. Some tools refuse to start at all, others run
sluggishly with reduced power and increased heat.

Not related to motors, but we've had some appliances with digital
controls that refused to operate at all on MSW inverters..

On 6/13/11 4:09 PM, Frogwatch wrote:
On Jun 13, 1:30 pm, wrote:
On 13/06/2011 10:49 AM, Harryk wrote:

On 6/13/11 11:18 AM, Frogwatch wrote:
I need to buy a small generator so i can run one power tool at a time
to rebuild my cabin in Wyoming. This means I need less than 2000
watts.
The higher cost models include Honda at over $800, Yamaha at about the
same and Honeywell at about $650 .
The cheaper models are less than $200 but are made in China.
I expect to rarely use this generator and it would never be needed for
emergency purposes.
The Honeywell at $650 is almost reasonable. The cheap Chinese
ones........................?
So, should I follow my own advice and not buy chinese because when
chinese goods break it always costs more money than the diff in
purchase price? Or, should I buy Chinese and gamble that it will work
long enough to be useful.?

1. You'll be surprised to find what what is and what is not "made in
China."

2. There are plenty of top-quality goods made in China. My objection to
Chinese goods is that they produced by workers under near slave labor
conditions.

3. As cheap as you are, you should round up a couple of furry critters
out there and put them on a generating treadmill. When they finish
working for you, you can eat them.

Na, tell us what you really mean. If US ere like China, you woul dhave
to move your fat ass and go to work.

--
Government isn't the solution to the bad economy, it is the problem.

HK, the furry critters abandoned ship cuz I don't keep stuff for em to
eat.

Well, you do have to make some provisions for critters if you expect
them to work for you. Might require more than oatmeal and p.b.

I had loaned my honda generator to a buddy for use at his cabin out at
the shenandoah, but last year he paid the $500 for a power line drop to
his cabin, so I have the genny back. Now he has power to run a well
pump, heating and ac, and the other niceties of life.

--
Want to discuss recreational boating and fishing in a forum where
personal insults are not allowed?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec-boating-fishing

In article ,
says...

On Jun 13, 1:30 pm, wrote:
[...]

That's our narcissist Harry!! Take ANY thread and turn it into a ME! ME!
thread......

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 00:24:06 -0400, wrote:

After that I made this
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/redneck_power.jpg

====

Wow, that's a classic !

All it needs is a little duct tape here and there to make it a perfect
10. :-)

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 08:42:32 -0400, Wayne B
wrote:

Yes, we've run laptops on just about every kind of cheap inverter and
they all worked OK.

Speaking of generators there is a single engine airplane with a pair
of 300 Amp 28 Volt generators. Gear driven, no belts or chains to
break. A third smaller unit is available when all else fails.

Casady

wrote:
Yes, we've run laptops on just about every kind of cheap inverter and
they all worked OK.

Speaking of generators there is a single engine airplane with a pair
of 300 Amp 28 Volt generators. Gear driven, no belts or chains to
break. A third smaller unit is available when all else fails.

Casady

Yamaha makes a nice 2000 watt generator for $989. Quite frankly, I
feel stupid buying a generator because it implies I am a slave to
electrical stuff. Neither my cabin nor boat needs a generator
normally but power tools will make the renovation much faster. When I
look at the logs on the cabin and realize it was built by two guys
using only axes, I think "Gawd, I am such a wimp for using
electricity".

Generator Frank General 5 September 21st 04 04:18 PM
Onan Generator General 7 May 11th 04 12:49 AM
portable generator [email protected] Electronics 11 April 23rd 04 05:30 PM
Portable generator [email protected] General 5 April 19th 04 05:47 AM
help on Onan generator [email protected] Cruising 0 November 17th 03 01:49 PM