HK HK is offline

Default More on Govt designed cars

Eisboch wrote:

"Johnson" wrote in message
jps wrote:

A heap for a truck definitely makes folks think twice about gettin'
too close. Before I had the exhaust redone it had a nasty hole
pre-muffler that was good for attracting attention and scaring the
crap out of nearby drivers and pedestrians.

Did it sound like a gunshot?

Johnson

Remember what we did as kids with new licenses? Drove Dad's car down
the street at speed and shut the ignition switch off for a few seconds,
then turned it back on.
The build up of fuel in the exhaust system usually blew a hole in the
muffler if you were successful. Instant hot rod.

Eisboch

I bought a glasspack muffler for my first car, which was either a 1948
Jeep station wagon or a 1952-53 AeroWillys, depending on what my father
would let me use when I was 16. He had rebuilt both. Anyway, the muffler
made the car louder. But either one of them still had almost no
horsepower! Do you remember that long hill - Amity Road, I think it was
called...and where it bottomed, it became Whalley Avenue? Got those cars
up to 55 mph going downhill there.
Senior Member

On May 1, 8:35*pm, HK wrote:
Eisboch wrote:

"Johnson" wrote in message
m...
jps wrote:

[...]

up to 55 mph going downhill there.- Hide quoted text -

Pffffftttt.. Lobsta' boat!

"HK" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:

"Johnson" wrote in message
jps wrote:

[...]

I remember both well. I recently took a "Google Earth" trip down in that
area.
It's amazing with all the photographs that people have taken that you can
zoom in on and then get a 360 degree view of a particular area. Brought
back a lot of memories. I haven't physically visited the area for what,
about 40 years? But I remember it all because it's where I first got my
driver's license.

Eisboch

jps jps is offline

On Fri, 01 May 2009 18:49:21 -0400, Johnson
wrote:

jps wrote:

A heap for a truck definitely makes folks think twice about gettin'
too close. Before I had the exhaust redone it had a nasty hole
pre-muffler that was good for attracting attention and scaring the
crap out of nearby drivers and pedestrians.

Did it sound like a gunshot?

Johnson

No, it did not. I hope they have trucks wherever it is you live.

Default OT electric cars was govt cars

On Fri, 01 May 2009 15:49:28 -0400, wrote:

Smokey Yanuck

Smokey Yunick. He didn't invent cheating at NASCAR racing, but he held
most of the basic patents.

Casady

wrote:

A heap for a truck definitely makes folks think twice about gettin'
too close. Before I had the exhaust redone it had a nasty hole
pre-muffler that was good for attracting attention and scaring the
crap out of nearby drivers and pedestrians.

I had a 57 Volvo that had been painted flat black with a brush, and
had a channel iron front bumper. City busses were scared of it,

Casady

On Fri, 1 May 2009 19:39:14 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

Remember what we did as kids with new licenses? Drove Dad's car down the
street at speed and shut the ignition switch off for a few seconds, then
turned it back on.
The build up of fuel in the exhaust system usually blew a hole in the
muffler if you were successful. Instant hot rod.

I wouldn't call them hot rodders, but... It started as you say and
progressed to a spark plug and a fuel nozzle in the tail pipe.
The arms race culminated in a propane tank in the trunk and twenty
five foot tongues of flame. Ultimate no go showboat.

Casady

"Richard Casady" wrote in message

I had a 57 Volvo that had been painted flat black with a brush, and
had a channel iron front bumper. City busses were scared of it,

Casady

Reminds me of another adventure raising kids.

When my daughter was about 12 years old I had an old Chevy "Luv" pickup
truck that we kept in the backyard. Painted it black with a paintbrush and
used it as a motorized wheelbarrow while clearing some land area. It was a
wreck, but it ran.

Anyway, the yard was big and I let my daughter drive it around once in a
while figuring it was a good way for her to learn how to drive a manual
transmission. Problem was the engine had a leaky head gasket and the
radiator was always slowly losing water. I told my daughter that before
she used it to make sure she could see water in the radiator.

A few days later she announced that the truck wouldn't start anymore. We
went out to check it out. When I turned the key to start it, the engine
didn't budge. Meanwhile my daughter is yapping away telling me that she had
checked the water, didn't see any, so she filled it up.

I asked her *where* she put the water. Sure enough, she had removed the
air filter and filled the carburetor to the top.

One Chevy Luv off to the junkyard.

Eisboch

On Sat, 2 May 2009 07:51:31 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thata'll teach ya.
One of my sons is an engineer. General Engineer, University of
Illinois. Don't ask me what that is. I never could get it out of
him. But he's doing well with it.
He worked at Chicago Dryer doing summer factory work while in college
and made enough money to buy a used Hyundai.
He was real happy with the car, and that he paid for it himself.
About 6 months later the oil light was going on and we talked about it
on the phone.
He told me the oil level was fine, and I told him either the sender
was bad, the oil pump was bad, or the mains were shot.
I offered to have my mechanic check it out, but as usual he didn't
have the time, what with school and his socializing.
A few days later my daughter came over to visit, driving the son's car
because her car was down.
I walked her to driveway, chatting as she got in the car to leave.
Car sounded ok. Nice looking car. Oil light was going on and off.
Daughter was in a hurry to get the car back so son could take off for
Champagne and school, so I didn't check the car out.
Next day I heard the car stops halfway to Champagne, and the tow truck
driver pulls the dipstick and finds it's out of oil. Engine shot.
Son watches tow truck driver do this and realizes he's been pulling
the trans dipstick to check the oil.
My son, the Engineer.
Damn, did my heart sink when I thought about how I should have checked
that oil when my daughter was there.
I was so sorry for him losing that car for something so stupid.
And a bit sorry for myself in helping him get another car too (-:
But I trusted my son when he said the oil level was fine.
He stills know squat about cars.
Easier to excuse your 12 year old daughter.
We can call that one "cute." (-:

--Vic

wrote:

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Good reminder.
Our 07 Charger has a few years of warranty left and regular (3x per year)
oil/lube visits, but I'm going to show him the basics...or at least find a
good basic book on routine maintenance.

about the govt Sandy D General 1 February 13th 09 12:44 AM
OT govt. regulation (troll food) [email protected] General 113 April 12th 08 02:47 AM
Support for Govt continues to fall Bertie the Bunyip ASA 0 September 30th 03 12:42 AM