BoatBanter.com

-   -   More on Govt designed cars (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/104509-more-govt-designed-cars.html)

Reginald P. Smithers, IIII, Esq. April 30th 09 11:49 AM

More on Govt designed cars

EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson told NPR’s Michelle Norris yesterday:
“The President has said, and I couldn’t agree more, that what this
country needs is a one single national road map that tells automakers
who are trying to become solvent again what kind of car it is they
need to be designing and building for the American people.” Norris
then asked: “Is that the role of Government though? That doesn’t sound
like free enterprise.” Jackson responded: “Well it is free enterprise
in a way.”

Tim April 30th 09 01:11 PM

More on Govt designed cars

On Apr 30, 5:49*am, "Reginald P. Smithers, IIII, Esq."
wrote:
EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson told NPR’s Michelle Norris yesterday:
“The President has said, and I couldn’t agree more, that what this
country needs is a one single national road map that tells automakers
who are trying to become solvent again what kind of car it is they
need to be designing and building for the American people.” Norris
then asked: “Is that the role of Government though? That doesn’t sound
like free enterprise.” Jackson responded: “Well it is free enterprise
in a way.”

when the government decides to build a car it will remind me of this:

http://people.westminstercollege.edu...l/history2.htm

Keith nuttle April 30th 09 01:40 PM

More on Govt designed cars

Reginald P. Smithers, IIII, Esq. wrote:
EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson told NPR’s Michelle Norris yesterday:
“The President has said, and I couldn’t agree more, that what this
country needs is a one single national road map that tells automakers
who are trying to become solvent again what kind of car it is they
need to be designing and building for the American people.” Norris
then asked: “Is that the role of Government though? That doesn’t sound
like free enterprise.” Jackson responded: “Well it is free enterprise
in a way.”

That is part of the problem for American car makers today, to much
government interference. The government mandated mileage requirements
force the car industry to build cars that do not fit the requirements of
that average American. This mandate forces the auto industry to put
billions into research and development to meet the mileage requirement.
Then just when the manufactures get close the government changes the
requirements.

We drive a lot, and when you go down I-69, I-77, I40, I-65 etc. for
every small car that practically carries two people at the most you will
see 10 of the Van'/Suv type of cars. Recently we went to Cincinnati,
and came upon three little mini coopers, two people each, in a caravan,
It would have been more efficient to have taken something like my Astro
van where all of the people could be together, and communicate on the
trip and get 108mpg/person (18 mph X 6 people) than to take three mini
getting 80 mpg/person (40 X 2).

[email protected] April 30th 09 03:14 PM

More on Govt designed cars

wrote:
EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson told NPR’s Michelle Norris yesterday:
“The President has said, and I couldn’t agree more, that what this
country needs is a one single national road map that tells automakers
who are trying to become solvent again what kind of car it is they
need to be designing and building for the American people.” Norris
then asked: “Is that the role of Government though? That doesn’t sound
like free enterprise.” Jackson responded: “Well it is free enterprise
in a way.”

when the government decides to build a car it will remind me of this:

http://people.westminstercollege.edu...l/history2.htm

At least last night Obama said straight up that he doesn't have any
desire for the U.S. to be in the automobile manufacturing business.
He's doing what he thinks is necessary.

jim78565 April 30th 09 03:21 PM

More on Govt designed cars

Reginald P. Smithers, IIII, Esq. wrote:
EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson told NPR’s Michelle Norris yesterday:
“The President has said, and I couldn’t agree more, that what this
country needs is a one single national road map that tells automakers
who are trying to become solvent again what kind of car it is they
need to be designing and building for the American people.” Norris
then asked: “Is that the role of Government though? That doesn’t sound
like free enterprise.” Jackson responded: “Well it is free enterprise
in a way.”

Makes ol' ankle pants seem like a straight arrow, doesn't it?

Richard Casady April 30th 09 06:57 PM

More on Govt designed cars

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:42:17 -0700, jps wrote:

They concentrated on SUVs and Trucks until it went bust wihle others
who saw the 1000 point writing on the wall designed more efficient
vehicles.

The Ford F-150 pickup truck has been the best selling vehicle in the
country for about thirty years. Ford didn't make people buy them.

Casady

jps April 30th 09 07:16 PM

More on Govt designed cars

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 12:57:34 -0500, Richard Casady
wrote:

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:42:17 -0700, jps wrote:

They concentrated on SUVs and Trucks until it went bust wihle others
who saw the 1000 point writing on the wall designed more efficient
vehicles.

The Ford F-150 pickup truck has been the best selling vehicle in the
country for about thirty years. Ford didn't make people buy them.

Casady

If they'd have stuck with the F150, Ford would be in fine shape. But
they're not in trouble for building F150's are they?

And you knew that.

HK April 30th 09 07:24 PM

More on Govt designed cars

Tim wrote:

wrote:
EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson told NPR’s Michelle Norris yesterday:
“The President has said, and I couldn’t agree more, that what this
country needs is a one single national road map that tells automakers
who are trying to become solvent again what kind of car it is they
need to be designing and building for the American people.” Norris
then asked: “Is that the role of Government though? That doesn’t sound
like free enterprise.” Jackson responded: “Well it is free enterprise
in a way.”
when the government decides to build a car it will remind me of this:
http://people.westminstercollege.edu...l/history2.htm

At least last night Obama said straight up that he doesn't have any
desire for the U.S. to be in the automobile manufacturing business.
He's doing what he thinks is necessary.

And that's good!

Well, I'm not sure GM, Ford or Chrysler have any business being in the
auto business anymore.

[email protected] April 30th 09 07:30 PM

More on Govt designed cars

On Apr 30, 2:24*pm, HK wrote:
Tim wrote:

wrote:
[...]

auto business anymore.- Hide quoted text -

That's a GOOD union rep. Or should I say alleged union rep, because we
all know that you never tell the truth.