Default OT electric cars was govt cars

On May 2, 7:12*am, Richard Casady wrote:
On Fri, 01 May 2009 15:49:28 -0400, wrote:
Smokey Yanuck

Smokey Yunick. He didn't invent cheating at NASCAR racing, but he held
most of the basic patents.

Casady

As far as engines go, yes, he could bend the rules with the best of
them!

Default More on Govt designed cars

On May 1, 8:35*pm, HK wrote:
Eisboch wrote:

"Johnson" wrote in message
m...
jps wrote:

A heap for a truck definitely makes folks think twice about gettin'
too close. *Before I had the exhaust redone it had a nasty hole
pre-muffler that was good for attracting attention and scaring the
crap out of nearby drivers and pedestrians.

Did it sound like a gunshot?

Johnson

Remember what we did as kids with new licenses? * Drove Dad's car down
the street at speed and shut the ignition switch off for a few seconds,
then turned it back on.
The build up of fuel in the exhaust system usually blew a hole in the
muffler if you were successful. *Instant hot rod.

Eisboch

I bought a glasspack muffler for my first car, which was either a 1948
Jeep station wagon or a 1952-53 AeroWillys, depending on what my father
would let me use when I was 16. He had rebuilt both. Anyway, the muffler
made the car louder. But either one of them still had almost no
horsepower! Do you remember that long hill - Amity Road, I think it was
called...and where it bottomed, it became Whalley Avenue? Got those cars
up to 55 mph going downhill there.- Hide quoted text -

Was that before or after your father's alleged fireboat welcome in NYC?

On May 1, 8:52*pm, wrote:
On May 1, 8:35*pm, HK wrote:

Eisboch wrote:

"Johnson" wrote in message
m...
jps wrote:

[...]

Pffffftttt.. Lobsta' boat!- Hide quoted text -

Fireboat welcome!

thunder wrote:
On Fri, 01 May 2009 08:26:44 -0400, Keith Nuttle wrote:

If you had a gasoline electric a 30 year old truck would be in the junk
by now because of the cost of replacing the battery. From what I have
heard they have to be replaced every 6 to 8 years depending on use. With
that rate of depreciation they become disposable. Every one know the
cost of replacing batteries in your old laptop.

Geez, if everyone was as negative about new technologies as you are, we
would still be driving horse and buggies, and forget computers. Still,
they are now getting 100,000 miles out of present battery technology, and
with standardization, and future innovations, battery life will improve
and cost will come down. Remember the cost of those older laptops?

What is the cost to produce the battery packs? What is the cost to
recycle the battery packs? Every time you buy a new car tire you pay a
recycling fee.

Nobody is arguing against the technology, it exists and it works. The
efficiency and cost of the manufacture and disposal of the batteries
need to improve.

What is the difference in energy cost between gasoline and electric
vehicles on a per mile basis? What is the cost of disposing of an
electric car? A gasoline fueled vehicle can be taken to a crushing
machine, inserted, crushed and sold for scrap. What has to be done to a
car with a battery pack?

If you want to talk about the carbon foot print of a gasoline powered
vehicle vs. an electric powered vehicle, with a battery pack, you
shouldn't be surprised who the loser is.

On Sat, 2 May 2009 10:35:55 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

Good reminder.
Our 07 Charger has a few years of warranty left and regular (3x per year)
oil/lube visits, but I'm going to show him the basics...or at least find a
good basic book on routine maintenance.

At least tell him what happened to my kid!

--Vic

Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message

What's really sad to me is that in the late 1970's, GM or Ford or
Chrysler could have decided to allocate enough funds to develop the
sort of batteries we need now to make "electric" cars affordable and
practical. Twenty five years of solid, advancing development would
have made a real difference for us by now.

Research and development of high density batteries for the automotive
market has been going on for at least that long Harry.

The USA only has one battery manufacturer. The EPA has been successful
in chasing all of the others out of the country.

Technical breakthroughs come from many sources other than the automobile
manufacturers, although they often help fund it.

Mass markets reduce the price of technology. The laptop you own today
out classes the super computer of the 1980's.

In the business I was in I visited two private research facilities that
were working on high output density lithium batteries for the automotive
market and promise of electric and hybrid cars. This was in the early
80's. One company was a relatively new start-up, the other an existing
large battery manufacturer.

I remember it well because the clean rooms in which the batteries were
made and assembled had to be kept at 5 percent relative humidity or less
because lithium is so reactive with water or water vapor. After putting
on the "bunny suit" and entering the clean room area, you involuntarily
gasped for a breath, the air was so dry.

The local fire department near my wife's job knows how to handle lithium
fires.

The scope of development is better done within organizations that
specialize in the technology.

Lithium batteries have come a long way, but they are still not really
practical unless we all radically change our driving habits. And they
still have to be charged which requires energy.

Lithium has a heat problem when being discharged. All of these Lion
laptop battery recalls are due to heat problems. Compare their size to
the size that would be in an automobile.

Fuel cell technology is the future.

Not with hydrogen, it costs too much.

"BAR" wrote in message
news
Eisboch wrote:

Fuel cell technology is the future.

Not with hydrogen, it costs too much.

Plenty of hydrogen in water.

It may take a few more years to perfect, but I think it has real promise.
So does the government and the automobile manufacturers (what's left of
them)

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e.../fuel-cell.htm

Eisboch

On Sat, 02 May 2009 09:58:20 -0400, BAR wrote:

If you want to talk about the carbon foot print of a gasoline powered
vehicle vs. an electric powered vehicle, with a battery pack, you
shouldn't be surprised who the loser is.

Whose talking about a carbon footprint? But there is the little thing
about oil, as in *foreign* oil. IMO, electric cars could aid in once
again making us energy independent.

On Sat, 02 May 2009 08:26:20 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

Next day I heard the car stops halfway to Champagne, and the tow truck
driver pulls the dipstick and finds it's out of oil. Engine shot.
Son watches tow truck driver do this and realizes he's been pulling
the trans dipstick to check the oil.
My son, the Engineer.

Trans fluid is red and engine oil is black, and I thought that was
universal knowledge. Evidently not. If I designed it, the molded
plastic handles for the sticks would have a couple of meshed gears on
one and a piston and rod on the other. Not a new concept. I always got
by on obviousness.

Casady

about the govt Sandy D General 1 February 13th 09 12:44 AM
OT govt. regulation (troll food) [email protected] General 113 April 12th 08 02:47 AM
Support for Govt continues to fall Bertie the Bunyip ASA 0 September 30th 03 12:42 AM