Default Towing with the Nissan

"Wizard of Woodstock" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 23:18:37 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:

Boater wrote:

I heard that your side's hero and intellectual leader, Rush Limbaugh,
said he hoped Obama failed. No wonder it is so easy for him to recruit
you, JustHate, Bertie, and others of your ilk.

Only an idiot would wish ill will or wished that our President would
fail. If Rush said that he is an idiot.

Oh, wait, you have been wishing the exact same thing for the last 8 yrs.
I have always thought the only difference between Rush and you, is Rush
was not as quiet the low life obnoxious blowhard you are. Which is
saying a lot, since I really think Rush is a major league low life,
obnoxious blowhard.

And now, for something completely different...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIm1YrUqimQ

--

"Do what you can, with what you
have, where you are."

Theodore Roosevelt.

They "Do what you can, with what you have" Which ain't much.

On Jan 23, 1:24 pm, wrote:
On Jan 23, 12:37 pm, Gene Kearns

wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:40:09 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|My new Nissan Frontier supposedly has a 6600 lb towing capacity.
|However, it seems to take a while to accelerate when towing my Tolman
|(with trailer prob weighs less than 2500 lbs). The old Dodge
|Ramcharger towed it effortlessly (318 cu in engine). I dont have
|enough experience with towing to evaluate this.

Well, let's compare.....

Ramcharger:
318 Cu. In.
155 HP @ 4000 RPM
255 Ft Lbs @ 2000 RPM
3.55 Axle Ratio (maybe 3.90)
2116RPM @ 55 MPH (assumes 1:1 transmission/Xfer case and 31" tires)

Oriental POS:
241 Cu. In.
261 HP @ 5600 RPM
281 Ft Lbs @ 4000 RPM
3.12 Axle Ratio (I think)
1890RPM @ 55 MPH (assumes 1:1 transmission/Xfer case and 30" tires)

So, as you see, Nissan attempts to maximize fuel mileage by turning
ridiculously low RPMs while forcing the (too small) engine to create
(needed) towing horsepower and torque through ridiculously high engine
RPMs. In short, you won't see that torque need for towing except at
4000 RPM.

So..... your only recourse is to drop the tranny into at least one
gear lower than you want to or change the axle(s) ratio to one more
suited to trailering.

I would imagine you could get an external plug in engine/tranny
controller and program in what you need or use a preset probably
included in the package. I have never used one, but I have seen ads
for them and from what I can tell, no reason they wouldn't help...

Gene:

Makes sense except I dont normally need the V8 of the Dodge when I am
not towing. Maybe I'll keep the Dodge for local towing and use the
Nissan for long distance where I will need to accelerate less (fewer
stops/mile).

"Gene" wrote in message

Consider, though, if you have an engine that develops desirable torque
at 7,450 RPM.... you are going to have to cruse at that RPM....
regardless of the transmission buttons or chip reprogrammers.

Personally, I find that to be a logical flaw in modern towing
vehicles. As we have often discussed..... no boat is a water borne
panacea. Each and ever one is selected for its intended use.

Tow vehicles are no different.

I've had this debate with one of my sons. He was trying to convince me
that his
345 hp "Hemi" powered Dodge Durango was faster from 0 to 60 than my '67 GTO
with 10 less horsepower. I tried to explain to him what torque curves were
all about and the relationship of torque to rated horsepower. The mini Hemi
develops max torque at almost 5000 RPM.
The old GTO developed max torque at about 2800 RPM. Still didn't convince
him, so I had to go out on a deserted road and show him.

He developed a new appreciation for old school American muscle cars.

Eisboch

Chrysler Nissan M4-33? padeen Cruising 6 January 5th 16 08:32 PM
Nissan outboard G3 General 4 March 20th 06 03:32 PM
Nissan Outboards? OC General 3 November 28th 04 04:40 PM
FS: Nissan Outboard in NY Bobsprit General 2 October 20th 04 12:58 PM
FS: Nissan Outboard in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 October 19th 04 09:11 PM