padeen

Default Chrysler Nissan M4-33?

Looking at buying a boat and haven't heard of this plant. Anyone have any
suggestions about ease of parts, service, etc? It's 65 hp on a 38 Perry;
probably never been opened up.
Thanks

Randy

I have the six cyl. version in an Islander 40 that I have only had for four
mounths. So far the only source for engine parts I have found is
http://www.jescoweb.com/ in Ceres, CA. The motor was distributed by Chrysler
and for a short time in the early '70s, a few Dodge trucks where built with
the six cyl. Also IH used the six in the Scout for several years but I have
not been able to get parts through either one (I have an '80 Scout with the
same engine).

"padeen" wrote in message
Looking at buying a boat and haven't heard of this plant. Anyone have any
suggestions about ease of parts, service, etc? It's 65 hp on a 38 Perry;
probably never been opened up.
Thanks

Lee Huddleston

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 02:47:30 GMT, "padeen"
wrote:

Looking at buying a boat and haven't heard of this plant. Anyone have any
suggestions about ease of parts, service, etc? It's 65 hp on a 38 Perry;
probably never been opened up.
Thanks

I have this very engine on a Bruce Roberts designed Mauritius 43.
(32,000 lb steel-hulled, cutter ketch, center cockpit, raised poop)
The engine was, I understand, originally built for use in tow-motors,
i.e., fork lifts. My engine has run very well for several years. I
am very pleased with it. I have the full repair manual for the engine
and even a parts list (as best I recall). BTW the horsepower is
actually 62. I had been told that Nissan said the horsepower was 37
while Chrysler said it was 75, due to measurement at different RPMs.
But further research showed accurate HP at 62.

I have been able to get parts through Diesel Power Inc. in Paducah,
Kentucky. Their address is PO Box 1286, Paducah, KY 42002-1286.
Their phone numbers are (270) 443-0840; fax (270) 443-3779. I have no
connection to them other than as a customer. What they did not have
on hand they were able and willing to order. I found them because
they were relatively close to my home in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

I will try to answer any other questions you have about the engine, if
I can. My e-mail address is

Lee Huddleston
s/v Truelove
on the hard at Bock Marine
Beaufort, NC

Randy

So far I have not needed much for either engine (boat or Scout) other than
filters and a thermostat which are readily available from any auto parts
store. The parts that I have asked JEBSCO about have seemed to be in line
with other diesel engine parts.
As far as reliability, the boat did not have an hour meter so I'm not sure
about the hours on that engine but the Scout has over 300,000 miles and is
still going strong.

"padeen" wrote in message
Looking at buying a boat and haven't heard of this plant. Anyone have
any
suggestions about ease of parts, service, etc? It's 65 hp on a 38

Perry;
probably never been opened up.
Thanks

Junior Member

I have a Chrysler Nissan M4-33 for sale for parts. It came out of a 1977 41' Islander Freeport. Connecting rod bolt came loose and went made hole in oil pan. Engine ran great until then.

Nissan Outboards? OC General 3 November 28th 04 04:40 PM
Electronic ignition distributor for Chrysler inboard Dave General 5 March 27th 04 05:11 PM
Chrysler 22 - info. about bulkheads Haakon Dybdahl Boat Building 1 December 15th 03 11:30 PM
Need svc manual for Chrysler Courier 231 B.D. Electronics 0 August 10th 03 05:52 PM
FS: Amazing Prices on Tohatsu & Nissan outboards in USA OnlineOutboards.com Marketplace 0 March 5th 03 02:35 AM