Dave

Default Electronic ignition distributor for Chrysler inboard

I'd like to replace the distributors and the electronic ignition
"breadboxes" on each of my Chrysler M360s with distributors that have all
the electronics integrated inside. Problem is I can't determine who the
mfgr of the original distributors are. Here's some info I found on original
units:

STBD engine model #M360BWR10954, serial # E510591, mfgd 11-29-78. STBD
distibutor is marked "SAE J354". No other markings.
PORT engine model #M360BWL10954, serial # E510609, mfgd 11-30-78. PORT
distributor is marked "Chrysler 3675974 1DH-7002" and "SAE J354". No other
markings.

Can anyone who's done this replacement tell me what product they used? Does
rotation matter?

Thanks,

Dave

trainfan1

Dave wrote:

I'd like to replace the distributors and the electronic ignition
"breadboxes" on each of my Chrysler M360s with distributors that have all
the electronics integrated inside. Problem is I can't determine who the
mfgr of the original distributors are. Here's some info I found on original
units:

STBD engine model #M360BWR10954, serial # E510591, mfgd 11-29-78. STBD
distibutor is marked "SAE J354". No other markings.
PORT engine model #M360BWL10954, serial # E510609, mfgd 11-30-78. PORT
distributor is marked "Chrysler 3675974 1DH-7002" and "SAE J354". No other
markings.

Can anyone who's done this replacement tell me what product they used? Does
rotation matter?

Thanks,

Dave

I will check on this for you some more... but that "1DH-7002" looks like
a Prestolite number. I think the 360s all had Chrysler distributors,
though.

Rob
John Gaquin

"Dave" wrote in message

I'd like to replace the distributors and the electronic ignition
"breadboxes" on each of my Chrysler M360s with distributors that have all

Can anyone who's done this replacement tell me what product they used?

Does
rotation matter?

Dave.... I replaced the breadboxes on my two Chrysler 318s a few years ago.
I replaced one distributor entirely, because the internals were badly
corroded. On the other I just installed the e-i plate and reluctor assy to
replace the rotor-points, etc. I'm embarrassed to say I can't recall the
brand, but I do recall that there was no difficulty finding an appropriate
aftermarket source through my local marine shop. Has run fine. As I
recall, rotation does matter.

JG

Scott Downey

http://www.pertronix.com/

I had a point based holley distributor. I converted to pointless, and works
very, very well.
They probably have something you can use.

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Charles T. Low

I also replaced the electronic ingition on a Chrysler 318 last summer. It
was still working fine but didn't look good - epoxy insulation melting away,
no reason apparent, not happening on new replacement.

My marine mechanic knew what to sell me without skipping a beat.

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"John Gaquin" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message

I'd like to replace the distributors and the electronic ignition
"breadboxes" on each of my Chrysler M360s with distributors that have

all

Can anyone who's done this replacement tell me what product they used?

Does
rotation matter?

Dave.... I replaced the breadboxes on my two Chrysler 318s a few years

ago.
I replaced one distributor entirely, because the internals were badly
corroded. On the other I just installed the e-i plate and reluctor assy

replace the rotor-points, etc. I'm embarrassed to say I can't recall the
brand, but I do recall that there was no difficulty finding an appropriate
aftermarket source through my local marine shop. Has run fine. As I
recall, rotation does matter.

JG

trainfan1

Dave wrote:

I'd like to replace the distributors and the electronic ignition
"breadboxes" on each of my Chrysler M360s with distributors that have all
the electronics integrated inside. Problem is I can't determine who the
mfgr of the original distributors are. Here's some info I found on original
units:

STBD engine model #M360BWR10954, serial # E510591, mfgd 11-29-78. STBD
distibutor is marked "SAE J354". No other markings.
PORT engine model #M360BWL10954, serial # E510609, mfgd 11-30-78. PORT
distributor is marked "Chrysler 3675974 1DH-7002" and "SAE J354". No other
markings.

Can anyone who's done this replacement tell me what product they used? Does
rotation matter?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

The "Chrysler 3675974 IDH-7002" is a 1979 & up Chrysler electronic
distributor. There is really nothing inherently wrong with that
configuration, except you will always want to have a spare pickup and a
spare control unit/switchbox/ignition module on board ("breadbox"), and
these are substantially the same as their automotive counterparts (no
ignition protection needed). The new distributors are much neater
installations as you have alluded to.

I think the Sierra 18-5497-1 distributor will work on both engines with
the corresponding gear from each old distributor. There is very little
info on this in any of the Sierra lit, and I am a Ford guy, so to
confirm this, check and see if your distributor rotation is the same on
each of your two engines - I suspect it might be due to the difference
in the cam gear from one side to the other, and this would make it
possible to use the same oil pump on both engines too.

Rob