trainfan1

Default Electronic ignition distributor for Chrysler inboard

Dave wrote:

I'd like to replace the distributors and the electronic ignition
"breadboxes" on each of my Chrysler M360s with distributors that have all
the electronics integrated inside. Problem is I can't determine who the
mfgr of the original distributors are. Here's some info I found on original
units:

STBD engine model #M360BWR10954, serial # E510591, mfgd 11-29-78. STBD
distibutor is marked "SAE J354". No other markings.
PORT engine model #M360BWL10954, serial # E510609, mfgd 11-30-78. PORT
distributor is marked "Chrysler 3675974 1DH-7002" and "SAE J354". No other
markings.

Can anyone who's done this replacement tell me what product they used? Does
rotation matter?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

The "Chrysler 3675974 IDH-7002" is a 1979 & up Chrysler electronic
distributor. There is really nothing inherently wrong with that
configuration, except you will always want to have a spare pickup and a
spare control unit/switchbox/ignition module on board ("breadbox"), and
these are substantially the same as their automotive counterparts (no
ignition protection needed). The new distributors are much neater
installations as you have alluded to.

I think the Sierra 18-5497-1 distributor will work on both engines with
the corresponding gear from each old distributor. There is very little
info on this in any of the Sierra lit, and I am a Ford guy, so to
confirm this, check and see if your distributor rotation is the same on
each of your two engines - I suspect it might be due to the difference
in the cam gear from one side to the other, and this would make it
possible to use the same oil pump on both engines too.

Rob