Haakon Dybdahl

Default Chrysler 22 - info. about bulkheads

Hi there,

I bought a project this year, a Chrysler 22, in bad condition. But, it seems
like anything might be fixed on a boat like this!! And it does not need
to be expensive.

However, I do not know which bulkheads are suppose to be in the boat, and if
they are important. The two bulkheads in the middle of the boat (connected
to the rig) are now sound and fastened, and the one's in the bow seem to be
ok. But, the bulkheads in the aft of the boat are rotten due to leaks
everywere. But as far as I can understand, these bulkheads can not be very
important. They keep some foam in place in case of seroious leaks, and they
were probably important during building of the boat (to form the foam), but
I hope they have no structural purpose... Then there is no bulkhead that
sepparetes the cockpit and the cabin in my boat. I have seen people discuss
this bulkhead ones. But does this bulkhead have any structural importance? I
mean, does this bulkhead have any other task than just sepparating the cabin
and cockpit? I have not seen any other Chrysler sailboat here in Norway, so
I would be very thankful if anyone would share some information.

I am afraid of installing a bulkhead that maybe is not suppose to be there.
Maybe this could create some points of stress to the hull?

Best Regards,

Haakon Dybdahl

-----------------------------
Work done on the boat so far:
* Replacacd windows
* New gelcoat
* Core of deck filled with epoxy / polyester to fix soft spot due to rotten
core
* All (!) hatches repaird and fastened
* Keel more fastened
* Rudder disassembled, and rebuilt
* Planned work on fixing the rig
* Engine repaired
* Fuel tank moved
* Table fixed
* All deck equipment rebedded
* Removed outdoor loadspeaker (would have been a disaster in heavy wearher)
* Removed hole in deck for previous depth-measurment etc.
* Most electroincs rewired
* Built a nice craddle
* Built an oven (alchol burner in Jerrycan, with a heatsink)
------