posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Cabling of chart plotter on a sail boat

Hi all,

I've just been out and bought a Garmin GPSMap 545 chart plotter. This comes
with a power/signal cable that is terminated with a unit connector in one
end and fans out to the varoius leads on the other.

I was planning so use it on-board my sailing boat in the north atlantic. It
should be placed in the cockpit so I can see the screen and when mooring,
disconnect it and bring the expensive unit inside.

To do this, I guess I have to drill a hole through the wall to the cockpit
and let the connector hang out exposed to wind and weather at all times
when the unit is not connected.

This seems rather harsh, so my question to all of you is simply, is it
prudent to have such a cable hanging out or do you have a better idea?

Oscar
posted to rec.boats.electronics

That's what I've done with my Garmin cable for the last five years.
Granted, not the North Atlantic but through the snow and ice of
midwestern winters. There's been no appreciable degradation. One thing
that I always though might help but never got around to would be to
obtain a neoprene cap to put over the plug.

On Jan 23, 12:45 pm, oscar wrote:

This seems rather harsh, so my question to all of you is simply, is it
prudent to have such a cable hanging out or do you have a better idea?

Oscar

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Jan 23, 12:45 pm, oscar wrote:

This seems rather harsh, so my question to all of you is simply, is it
prudent to have such a cable hanging out or do you have a better idea?

Oscar- Hide quoted text -

I dont know the garmin product, but i assume like most the lead has a
connection one end and loose wires the other? for connections like
that i get an attional water proof plug and socket from the
chanderary. THese come with a thru bulkhead socket that can be fixed
to the bulk head in the hole. Put the pug on the loos wires and when
you take the gps of unplugg from the bulk head and take the lead with
it, these socketd usually come with a chained on cap that scews on to
make water tight when you are noy using the device. Bit more work but
does make it all watertight and less lijkely to corrode etc. THese
plugs / sockets come with a varying number of pins and depending on
the number of wires you may need two.

cheers

oscar wrote:
Hi all,

I've just been out and bought a Garmin GPSMap 545 chart plotter. This
comes with a power/signal cable that is terminated with a unit
connector in one end and fans out to the varoius leads on the other.

I was planning so use it on-board my sailing boat in the north
atlantic. It should be placed in the cockpit so I can see the screen
and when mooring, disconnect it and bring the expensive unit inside.

To do this, I guess I have to drill a hole through the wall to the
cockpit and let the connector hang out exposed to wind and weather at
all times when the unit is not connected.

This seems rather harsh, so my question to all of you is simply, is it
prudent to have such a cable hanging out or do you have a better idea?

Oscar

Split the cable and use a multipoint connector on the bulkhead.

Dennis.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Jan 25, 3:28*am, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:
oscar wrote:
Hi all,

I've just been out and bought a Garmin GPSMap 545 chart plotter. This
comes with a power/signal cable that is terminated with a unit
connector in one end and fans out to the varoius leads on the other.

I was planning so use it on-board my sailing boat in the north
atlantic. It should be placed in the cockpit so I can see the screen
and when mooring, disconnect it and bring the expensive unit inside.

To do this, I guess I have to drill a hole through the wall to the
cockpit and let the connector hang out exposed to wind and weather at
all times when the unit is not connected.

This seems rather harsh, so my question to all of you is simply, is it
prudent to have such a cable hanging out or do you have a better idea?

Oscar

Split the cable and use a multipoint connector on the bulkhead.

Dennis.- Hide quoted text -

Do use a cable grommet, and leave the cable dangling when the Garmin
is stored elsewhere. Put a drug store finger cot, which looks like a
short minature condom over the bare plug. Be aware that the mounting
bracket is a line catcher, somewhat fragile but inexpensive to replace.

Chart Plotter Problems Jeff General 2 August 25th 05 12:12 AM
humminbird ns10 chart plotter NetWorkin General 1 August 24th 04 03:28 AM
Handheld GPS chart plotter? Martin Schöön General 4 June 23rd 04 06:46 PM
JMC Chart Plotter [email protected] Electronics 2 October 21st 03 11:06 AM
Chart Plotter Frank Taylor, Jr. General 1 October 8th 03 04:10 AM