Martin Schöön

Default Handheld GPS chart plotter?

My old Garmin 38 died on me recently and it is not repairable.
So, I am in the market for a new GPS and I realise I can go two ways.
Either I go for something 'basic', something with approximately the
same features as my old 38, or I go for a unit that can show charts.
My boat and the way I sail rules out the bigger, fixed units so even
the chart plotter must be handheld unit like the new Garmin 60C or
76C. Anyone with experience of those or simmilar GPSs? Are charts on
that size of display really worth bothering with?

Cheers,
Martin Schöön * * * * * * * * * *"Problems worthy of attack
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * prove their worth by hitting back"
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Piet Hein

Ryk

On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:19:33 +0200, in message

Martin Schöön wrote:

My old Garmin 38 died on me recently and it is not repairable.
So, I am in the market for a new GPS and I realise I can go two ways.
Either I go for something 'basic', something with approximately the
same features as my old 38, or I go for a unit that can show charts.
My boat and the way I sail rules out the bigger, fixed units so even
the chart plotter must be handheld unit like the new Garmin 60C or
76C. Anyone with experience of those or simmilar GPSs? Are charts on
that size of display really worth bothering with?

I have a Garmin GPS 76 (not the GPS MAP 76) which is essentially the
same unit without the mapping. It provides a graphic display showing
your position relative to the way points you have entered which I find
really easy to follow, provided you know where you are going. For
example, I can see all the fixed marks in our club racing network and
know just where I am at a glance. I think adding map detail to the
display would just be confusing given the size. I use it in
conjunction with Fugawi on my notebook which gives me huge detail when
I need it and lets me download collections of waypoints to the GPS.

Ryk

ford

Hey there,
I've had great success with my Memory-Map Navigator Stuff. It is
software which runs on your pc, or laptop (or both), and connects to a
pocket pc. It shows your exact location on the digitized blue water
charts, as well as having Topo-maps of virtually everywhere. It isn't
prohibitively expensive, and is REALLY REALLY COOL. I used it to
skirt a shoal for the first time a couple of weeks ago at the Niddle
Cup in Kingston Ontario. My wife gave it to me for X-mas last year.
You can go to their website www.memory-map.com When you get there, go
to the Pocket PC link. Make sure to include the hyphen, or you end up
on a very fuky wesite.

Good Racing,
-ford

Martin Schöön wrote:

[...]

ford

Hey,

The niddle moved to Kingston a couple of years back. It actually
happened on June 5th. I guess I was a little behind in my postings
Do you race much on Ontario?