posted to rec.boats.electronics
Blighty Blighty is offline

Default Cabling of chart plotter on a sail boat

On Jan 25, 3:44*am, "
wrote:
That's what I've done with my Garmin cable for the last five years.
Granted, not the North Atlantic but through the snow and ice of
midwestern winters. There's been no appreciable degradation. One thing
that I always though might help but never got around to would be to
obtain a neoprene cap to put over the plug.

On Jan 23, 12:45 pm, oscar wrote:

This seems rather harsh, so my question to all of you is simply, is it
prudent to have such a cable hanging out or do you have a better idea?

Oscar- Hide quoted text -

I dont know the garmin product, but i assume like most the lead has a
connection one end and loose wires the other? for connections like
that i get an attional water proof plug and socket from the
chanderary. THese come with a thru bulkhead socket that can be fixed
to the bulk head in the hole. Put the pug on the loos wires and when
you take the gps of unplugg from the bulk head and take the lead with
it, these socketd usually come with a chained on cap that scews on to
make water tight when you are noy using the device. Bit more work but
does make it all watertight and less lijkely to corrode etc. THese
plugs / sockets come with a varying number of pins and depending on
the number of wires you may need two.

cheers