posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dennis Pogson Dennis Pogson is offline

Default Cabling of chart plotter on a sail boat

oscar wrote:
Hi all,

I've just been out and bought a Garmin GPSMap 545 chart plotter. This
comes with a power/signal cable that is terminated with a unit
connector in one end and fans out to the varoius leads on the other.

I was planning so use it on-board my sailing boat in the north
atlantic. It should be placed in the cockpit so I can see the screen
and when mooring, disconnect it and bring the expensive unit inside.

To do this, I guess I have to drill a hole through the wall to the
cockpit and let the connector hang out exposed to wind and weather at
all times when the unit is not connected.

This seems rather harsh, so my question to all of you is simply, is it
prudent to have such a cable hanging out or do you have a better idea?

Oscar

Split the cable and use a multipoint connector on the bulkhead.

Dennis.