Flemming Torp

"Dennis Pogson" skrev i en
meddelelse ...
Flemming Torp wrote:
Thank you for your input. All I know, is that there is a cable
connection between the socket of my PPC and into a USB port in
my
notebook. The program is called Microsoft ActiveSync, and I
can
'see' the memory of the PPC from explorer on the notebook,
when
the PPC is in the craddle ... And via this connection I can
send
data back and forth. F.ex. synchronize Outlook, download maps
from PC to PPC.

Snip

I carried out an experiment last night. Set up my laptop and
moved the
wireless mouse away to the far end of the room. I was able to
control the
mouse on-screen from 20 feet away. Set up a remote TFT display
at this
distance and was able to work the laptop from at least 20 feet
away.

Now, if the remote screen could be made portable and
weatherproof..........................

My wife has an old (you know, a couple of years) 15" TFT for
office use only.
As I'm looking for a 'nice to know-solution' (not to say
'quick&dirty'), and the screen needs a power cable anyway, so I'm
not that concerned about the cable to the PC ... So may be, she
really needs a new 17" TFT monitor? I will ask her ...

What about setting it up behind a perspex window in the cockpit
bulkhead?
Not impossible, and certainly a cheap solution. All modern
TFT's are
equipped for wall mounting, which makes it easy to set up.

A 19" TFT costing UK£225 is available, and could be seen from
anywhere in
the cockpit provided there was enough space in the bulkhead to
mount it.
Only trouble is, these things consume power like there is no
tomorrow!

And also the contrast/light of the monitor could be a problem - I
will have to make an experiment ...
As my initial idea was to use my PPC, I think 15" will be OK.
Some kind of protection will be needed - and, I agree, the power
consumption is an issue.
I will give it a try with my wife's TFT, before I invest in
something new ...

Now, where did I put that
jigsaw..................................?

Dennis

No Sir! This is just a 'nice to have' supplement to the 'real
navigation equipment down under' - no jigsaw will be needed in
this case ... If I won in the lottery, and would spend DKK
52.000,- for the RayMarine M 1500 monitor (one U$ equals 5,70
DKK) it might (just might!) deserve its own 'whole' in the
bulkhead ... but to be honest - its not on the top of my wish
list ...

Thank you for your constructive input!

--
Flemming Torp
'Even the worst day sailing is better than the best day working'

NotMyRealName

In message , DC
writes
You will want to use VNC "server" on the laptop running your chartplotter
software.

You will want to install VNC for PPC on the handheld. The handheld will use
the client to connect to the server, and thus control your laptop from the
handheld.

In order to do this you need an IP connection. This will mean :

1) running WIFI on the laptop and PPC system.
- you can install a WIFI (802.11b) card on the PPC handheld as either as SD
card, or in the MMC slot.
- on the laptop you have a choice of PCMCIA cards or USB adapters for WIFI
- the advantage of WIFI is greater range
2) running a Bluetooth personal network between the laptop and PPC system
- most common form for BT on PPC is an SD card on older PPC handleds. Newer
ones typically have integrated BT
- for the laptop you will add a BT USB adapter if you don't currently have
built in support for it
- the advantage of BT is lower power consumption over WIFI, but you lose
range.

I have an Ipaq 5400 series PPC and when I enable WIFI it seriously drains
the batteries. I leave Bluetooth always enabled since it's not much of a
noticeable difference (the same on my cell phone, I always leave BT
enabled).

The main point here is, as Nikki stated, you need a TCP/IP connection and
that means some form of the above... or a physical connection which is not
practical.

VNC (search for tight VNC as well, also free and better performance) is not
the only solution. You could use Microsoft's own Terminal Services on the
laptop and load the Terminal Service Client for PPC if you wanted (to spend
money that is... because VNC is free).

If you decide on the Bluetooth solution you must make sure that the
Bluetooth adapter (USB) that you purchase for the laptop supports the
personal network service. Not all Bluetooth adapters are created equal,
some have support for more services than others (for example, my Ipaq does
not support the wireless headset profile, yet my laptop does).

Hope this helps.

R/
Dan

"Flemming Torp" fletop(kanelbolle)2rp.d(anmar)k wrote in message
Thank you for your input. All I know, is that there is a cable
connection between the socket of my PPC and into a USB port in my
notebook. The program is called Microsoft ActiveSync, and I can
'see' the memory of the PPC from explorer on the notebook, when
the PPC is in the craddle ... And via this connection I can send
data back and forth. F.ex. synchronize Outlook, download maps
from PC to PPC.

I was naive, I understand, in assuming, that this connection
would be sufficient ... which reminds me of the old saying: "All
complex problems has at least one simple solution, - - - that
does not work" ...

I'm really not too much worried about making the connections
totally waterproof ... if it really gets rough, I will use my
'back up system': Pencil and paper ... (+ GPS etc. in the cabin)
... and put my PPC in the drawer. The solution I'm looking for is
a kind of 'nice to have' ... the 'need to have' is in place!

--
Flemming Torp
'Even the worst day sailing is better than the best day working'

"Nikki Locke" skrev i en meddelelse
Flemming Torp wrote:
As I'm very 'intrigued' by the wireless solution, I'm
curious as to what it takes to implement that set up in my
case ... I have been at the vnc homepage, which I find very
interesting, but hard to understand ... my age and my weak
background within this field - unfortunately ... If you will
help me, I will be happy - thank you!

VNC is a cross-platform application for remote controlling one
computer
from another. You can use any of Unix, Mac, Windows PC or PPC
computers to
control any (or all) of the others.

The computers have to be connected together by a TCP/IP
network. In your
case, this would either involve a wireless LAN, or a network
cable (but you
would have to go to some trouble to make the connections
waterproof).

I'm not familiar with the PPC, so I don't know if it has a
network socket,
or wireless LAN. If it hasn't, then I don't think you can do
what you want.

--
Nikki Locke, Trumphurst Ltd. PC & Unix consultancy &
programming

..... And if you have enough time at the end of the installation/bug
fixing/support/crashing/re-installation etc. .... go for a sail!

Spike
Flemming Torp

Sure Spike, but for the moment, the boat is encapsulated in thick
ice ... so I might as well try to figure out how I can use modern
electronics before the ice disappears, and we can go sailing
again ...

When - or if ? - the spring comes ... I wonder whether I will
ever use all that gear ... normally my paper maps, my 'analog'
compas, and my binoculars will bring us to where we want to go

But the 'next generation' is pushing their old dad for some more
modern technology on board ... and to be honest, I'm a little
fascinated by the possibilities ... unfortunately, I don't know a
lot about this subject ... it's a new world to me ... but I'm
willing to learn - and this group has been of great help to me -
thank you.

--

:

[...]

k...

Flemming Torp wrote:
[...]

Pete Verdon

Flemming Torp wrote:
Thank you Pete, for trying to help me out. What I want is to protect my
new (!) notebook (running WinXP) - control it from my PPC (a windows
version with MS Outlook, Navigation and MS ActiveSync) in the cockpit -
and as my notebook application (DLSK) cannot run on the PPC and as the
application cannot be transferred to the PPC, I would like to use my PPC
as a 'viewer'.

Yup, that's exactly the kind of thing VNC is for.

I don't have an internet/TCP/IP on my boat,

All that's needed is a network connection between the laptop and the
PPC. You will need this to control one from the other, whatever system
you use. I'm afraid I can't really help you with that as I know nothing
about PDAs. One way would be to get a wireless network card for the
laptop (under £10 if you shop in the right place) and for the PDA (no
idea how much these cost), assuming neither of them have one already.

Pete

Your question is definetly a networking issue, compatible devices and
software configuration. This is independent of what you running on your
pc. Get the PPC networked to your Pc using a wireless network hub, and
get VNC configured properly. All else is irrelevant.

If this doesn't help, try other newsgroups geared to Pocket PCs and
networking, VNCs.

Good luck.
Luis Castro

By the Way, all the below is a network connection, but not of the type
that will sustain VNC. So your barking up the wrong tree. Get your PPC
and PC wireless networked, and run VNC to the IP address you give your
Pc.

Chart plotting on a small screen, may be very cumbersome, beside
time-consuming.

Flemming Torp (kanelbolle anmar) wrote:
"Dennis Pogson" skrev i en
meddelelse ...
Flemming Torp wrote:
[...]

A 19" TFT costing UK=A3225 is available, and could be seen from
[...]

Flemming Torp

Thank you for your input.

Being more of a sailor, than a network or IT expert, the reason
for me raising the question in this group was a letter from a
fellow called Bruce - Feb.12th - that gave an short resumé of his
solution, and I liked it, and tried to 'call' him for some more
details - you know: From sailor to sailor - obviously. and
unfortunately without a positive result.

It is my experience that it is often much easier to follow or
join a conversation/discussion about exchange of ideas, and some
ones experience with specific solutions, when the participants
'are at the same footings', and share the same interests. Me
talking to a very bright computer/network expert is not always
very giving, as he or she does not understand, what I do not
understand. And the result is ... ... well, not very useful - one
could say ...

But I got your message. Thank you.
--
Flemming Torp
'Even the worst day sailing is better than the best day working'
oups.com...

Flemming Torp wrote:
[...]

Goofball_star_dot_etal

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 04:27:59 +0100, "Flemming Torp"
[...]

Don't give up yet. It works over USB. I suggest you get the software
and try it. I have the URLs somwhere if you need them. You need to
connect to the IP address your PC uses for USB. I could not find this
from the PC or the PPC directly but using vxIPConfig on the PPC it
gave the PPC IP address as 192.168.55.100 and the default gateway as
192.168.55.100. I called 192.168.55.100 with the wifi switched off on
both the PC and PPC and it worked. The IP address may well be the
same for you or perhaps not. . .

It is quite slow on the PPC when the PC screen is changing and this
locks up the scroll bars until it catches up. It works quicker if you
can reduce the size of the map on the PC to match the PPC screen. It
also seem quicker with vector charts, probably because they have less
detail to update.
Meindert Sprang

"Flemming Torp" fletop(kanelbolle)2rp.d(anmar)k wrote in message
. ..
Hello Meinert,

Thank you for your proposal Meinert. I have also been visiting
your homepage. Very interesting and inspiring! By reading many of
the 'letters' in this and other news groups, I have seen your
many relevant comments. Being an 'electronic amateur', I'm not
sure, I fully understand your input in this case. Sorry for that.
Maybe a little clarification from my side can help, as I find
myself 'fighting with incompatible solutions' so to speak ...

snip

Do you think your NMEA multiplexer could play an active
role in my situation? Or are we talking on different subjects?

I think we were. It was indeed not quite clear to me what you wanted to
achieve. I thought you merely wanted to run navigation software on your PDA
in parallel with software on your laptop, and wanted to hook up Seatalk too.
That's why I chimed in, because I thought our BT multiplexers could help
here to translate Seatalk into NMEA, feed it to the laptop via the serial
port and at the same time to your PDA over bluetooth.

But for the VNC stuff, our solution is useless :-)

Meindert

Flemming Torp

How nice to get an advice that is constructive, empathic and well
written. You are suggesting a solution that is 'within reach' .
Do I understand you correctly when you are talking about USB,
that I can actually use the cable between the cradle in which the
PPC is placed when running MS ActivSync to the PC?

Some of my sons will be 'home' during the Easter Holidays - and I
do hope they will be able to help me out here. Thank you for
your: "don't give up" and your specific hint!

As to the practical experience: How is it working on the boat? Is
the screen large enough - bright enough - do you get useful help
from this little screen or is it more or less useless. In my
opinion - even the 7" chartplotters are somewhat difficult to use
.... zoom in/zoom out ... I'm not convinced this is the way to go
(the 'PPC-way'), but I'm interested in learning from other
sailors experience - what's what we call a search/learning
proces. To be honest I'm still pretty happy with the paper charts
and a compass, and GPS ...

But with four boys pushing for evolution and eager to play with
new tecnologies, I try - somewhat reluctantly - to move into the
new 'world' of IT and electronics ... with yours and other
fellows help - thank you.

--
Flemming Torp
'Even the worst day sailing is better than the best day working'

"Goofball_star_dot_etal" skrev i en
meddelelse ...
[...]

Goofball_star_dot_etal

http://www.allware.com.mx/ VNCVewer for POCKETPC (IPAQ) (freeware)
http://www.realvnc.com VNC server. 4.1 (free) Set to Legacy VNC3
to use with PPC.

I had trouble getting an icon for the PPC and had to run the program
initially by clicking on the file from File Explorer. I later figured
out a hack which was, I think, based upon inverting
http://pocketpccentral.net/help/removeicons.htm