Flemming Torp

Default PC/PDA as 'cockpit-chartplotter'

Hello Bruce,

Tried to use your mailing address - no success ... sorry!

In the newsgroup aus.sport.sailing - 12-02-2005, I read with
great interest about your set up in your boat ... It is a
solution, I'm very much after.

Just recently, I bought a 'new' sailboat - 15 years old...
It is equipped with rather new Raymarine instruments - ST60
series - 230 VHF, RC 530 Chart Plotter, and 4000 tiller
Autopilot - all elements are connected in a SeaTalk net ...
The instruments are visible from the cockpit, but the VHF
and the chartplotter, are mounted ind the cabin. As I do not
want to make physical changes to this set up, and as I do
have a notebook and a PPC with a GPS (a little RoyalTek RGM
2000-thing), I'm looking for a cheap solution to my
'cockpit-chartplotter-problem' ...

I find the prices of the Raymarine hsb2 interface plus their
RNS navigations software far too stiff for my budget, and as
I already do have some sea maps from Maptech and some nordic
electronic maps = versions, that are not compatible with
anything else in the world - (called 'the living seamap' =
DLSK - but they cover all of Denmark, Southern and Western
Sweden and Southern part of Norway) ... I'm pretty eager to
use, what I have ...

I have - therefore and for the time being - reduced my level
of ambition from a totally 'Raymarine' integrated system
based on C-Map charts and RNS 5.0 - to a more modest level:
Run my notebook with the maps/applications I have (Navigator
Lite from Maptech and DLSK) - 'hook up' a USB-GPS to the PC,
and somehow 'connect' the PPC to my notebook PC (Win XP) so
I can keep my notebook 'down under' but with access from/or
'controlled by' my PPC.

I don't have bluetooth, so I will have to accept cables - or
what? ... at least in the first implementation I'm afraid

As I'm not at all competent within this field of 'system
integration', I would very much appreciate, if you would
accept to give me a little more detailed information about
how I should go about, if I want to implement the solution,
you have outlined in your 'letter' to the newsgroup.

I do not intend to integrate the system with the RayMarine
system. So my problem is 'only' to establish a
'cockpit-chartplotter-function' i.e. the right connection
between the notebook PC and the PPC running windows ...
Microsoft Pocket PC vers. 3.0.11171.

As I'm very 'intrigued' by the wireless solution, I'm
curious as to what it takes to implement that set up in my
case ... I have been at the vnc homepage, which I find very
interesting, but hard to understand ... my age and my weak
background within this field - unfortunately ... If you will
help me, I will be happy - thank you!

Being a Dane, I have problems finding the correct words
etc., but I do hope my mail is understandable.

Best regards

--
Flemming Torp
'Even the worst day sailing is better than the best day working'

Meindert Sprang

Hej Flemming,

Could one of our NMEA multiplexers be of any use? We have a version that
translates Seatalk into NMEA and broadcasts the NMEA data over Bluetooth to
a PDA running standard navigation software.
Take a look at www.shipmodul.com and select MiniPlex-41BT or MiniPlex-42BT
from the Products page.

Meindert

"Flemming Torp" fletop(kanelbolle)2rp.d(anmar)k wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Flemming Torp

Hello Meinert,

Thank you for your proposal Meinert. I have also been visiting
your homepage. Very interesting and inspiring! By reading many of
the 'letters' in this and other news groups, I have seen your
many relevant comments. Being an 'electronic amateur', I'm not
sure, I fully understand your input in this case. Sorry for that.
Maybe a little clarification from my side can help, as I find
myself 'fighting with incompatible solutions' so to speak ...

On the actual RayMarine Seatalk-system, that is totally
integrated, I do have a
"PC-SeaTalk-NMEA Interface Box Product Number: E85001:
Interface adapter used to connect PCs running RayTech
software to the Raymarine SeaTalk data network. Can also be used
to connect NMEA 0183 devices and computers running NMEA 0183
compatible navigation software to the SeaTalk network."

The above text is taken directly from
http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/P...duc t_id=2976

Unfortunately, I have not been succesful in establishing
any kind of meaningful communication between that interface and
my notebook applications DLSK and Maptech Navigator Lite ... I'm
still trying to figure out, what the problem is: The serial
cable? The serial to USB cable? The serial port on the PC, The
E85001 box? Right COM port? Conflict? or ... or ...

Back to my problem: Among other things, I have a
Scandinavian navigation system -DLSK - in case you read some
Danish - here is a link:
http://www.kms.dk/C1256BBB0028D4B5/(AllDocsByDocId)/3C9CB235258BF63CC1256BDB002B4EC6?open&page=detleve ndeskort2&omr=KORT_FRITIDSSEJLADS
it is not compatible with anything else. (I am afraid, that this
link is a bit too long or what?).

The DLSK-system consists of 3 CD's with some two hundred
sea maps covering the waters around Denmark, Southern Norway, and
Western Sweden, harbours, and differenet themes. I used to work
with this system in combinantion with my old Garmin GPS on my
former boat. That did cost me a notebook - unfortunately -
because the PC did not like the 'salt taste of Kattegat' ... but
it worked ... until ... That program does not run on a PDA. As I
would like to keep my new notebook 'down under' protected from
the wawes of Kattegat and Skagerak, I'm trying to figure out how
to use my PDA (that does not have blue tooth, but a little
RoyalTek GPS unit) as a screen 'reflecting' the monitor of the
notebook, that runs the DLSK application/maps. It is in no way my
intention to try to integrate this system with the Raymarine
Seatalk System - except, maybe, for the use of the GPS, as I
would like to use the Ray GPS on the notebook two - via the above
mentioned interface: Seatalk --- NMEA.

If it was not for the DKK, £ or $, I think I would buy the
RayMarine package ... but as I think I have most of the
components for establishing a 'cockpit-chartplotter-solution', I
think that will be, well ... my short term solution. (My
'captain' supports this view point very strongly). As she is
saying: We have always been able to mange with all the paper maps
.... and ... isn't she right?

In short - that was my reason for asking Bruce for some
more information about his solution with a combination of a
notebook (in the drawer) running the navigations package and the
PPC in the cockpit - 'controlling' the notebook with some
software called vnc, something, by the way, I don't know anything
about. But his statemenst made me curious. I have also tried to
address this question to some it-related newsgroups ... so far
without a useful answer ...

Do you think your NMEA multiplexer could play an active
role in my situation? Or are we talking on different subjects? If
so, I do apologise. As to the Maptech application, that can be
run on a PDA/PPC (I don't know the real difference between these
two terms): As my PPC has its own GPS unit, I don't think I would
need any multiplexor in that case - right? And the PPC unit can
not read the C-Map charts that are used in the Raymarine chart
plotter ... do you know whether the RC530 could output some
useful information to the PDA/PPC?

Again sorry for my language. There are so many words I know
in Danish ... and I'm a little confuse to be honest - so I'm
trying to make myself understandable - hope you are tolerant and
flexible ... Best regards

--
Flemming Torp
'Even the worst day sailing is better than the best day working'

"Meindert Sprang" skrev i en
meddelelse ...
[...]

Dennis Pogson

Meindert Sprang wrote:
[...]

It would seem that our friend wishes to control a notebook and it's software
located in the cabin from a PDA located in the cockpit. If I am correct in
this assumption, I would have thought this to be impossible, since the
notebook's functions cannot be replicated in the PDA, can they?

Laplink allows you to control one PC from another (remote) PC, but that is
because they are both PC's and have the same architecture.

I stand corrected if this is not the case!

Dennis.
--
Satellite photocharts of the UK & Ireland
available, excellent detail and accurate

Jack Erbes

Flemming Torp wrote:

snip As I do not
want to make physical changes to this set up, and as I do
have a notebook and a PPC with a GPS (a little RoyalTek RGM
2000-thing), I'm looking for a cheap solution to my
'cockpit-chartplotter-problem' ...

Since you have a PPC and a GPS receiver for it (the RGM-2000) you might
want to look at trying out a trial version of an application like Ozi-CE
(http://www.oziexplorer.com/). Ozi-CE may be able to use the Maptech
BSB charts you have now if they are on CD-ROMs. The BSB chart files
require some conversion for use by Ozi-CE, that can be done using the
trial version of Ozi Explorer PC (Ozi-PC).

You may also be able to use your DLSK charts if you can import them into
Ozi-PC and calibrate them for use. Once those are converted and
calibrated they can be used with either Ozi-PC or Ozi-CE.

Another possible avenue for using the DLSK charts is that if you can
export or save bit mapped images of the chart files, those can be
imported and calibrated with Ozi-PC (and a number of other applications
that get frequent mention here).

To get the most flexibility with Ozi-CE the Ozi Explorer developer
recommends also buying Ozi-Explorer for the PC. But you may be able to
get along without buying it. I purchased Ozi-CE to use on an iPAQ 3630
and am managing fine without having bought Ozi-PC also. I'm using
Maptech BSB charts and USGS topo maps (both come with calibration data
files) and those can be converted for use with Ozi-CE by using the
trial version of Ozi-PC. What cannot be done with the trial version of
Ozi-PC is to import and calibrate map images or edit a map image.

A nice piece of freeware that you may want to look at that also has
good capabilities for importing and calibrating map images is
SeaClear II (http://www.sping.com/seaclear/). The process is a little
convoluted but I have been able to create routes on SeaClear II (using
Maptech BSB charts) and upload those to my handheld GPS (which was being
used with SeaClear for NMEA input).

I could then download the routes and waypoints from the GPS using GPS
Utility (www.gpsu.co.uk/) and then import the routes and waypoints into
Ozi-CE. Once you sort through the details of the various file formats
and the like, you'll find there are a number of GPS utilities that data
to be migrated from one platform to another.

My feeling is that the iPAQ screen size is okay for navigation in the
sense that you just glance at it occasionally to see if you're still on
track, in the same place you that your think you are, and are just
looking at the various details of data like course, speed, etc.

Route planning can be done on the iPAQ but it is much better done on a
laptop or other PC with a larger screen, a mouse, full sized keyboard,
and the other bells and whistles that make it easier and more pleasant.

If your PPC has removable media (my iPAQ uses CF cards) you can more
easily store chart files and move data around between the PPC and PC. I
can store the Ozi-CE program and data files and hundreds of BSB charts
on a 1GB CF card.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

Dennis Pogson

Jack Erbes wrote:
Flemming Torp wrote:

snip As I do not
[...]

The day is not far off when "head-up displays" as per the fighter pilot's in
an F16, will be available for we sailors!

--
Satellite photocharts of the UK & Ireland
available, excellent detail and accurate
calibration using Oziexplorer.
Remove *nospam* to reply.

Flemming Torp

"Dennis Pogson" skrev i en
meddelelse ...
Meindert Sprang wrote:
Hej Flemming,

Could one of our NMEA multiplexers be of any use? We have a
version
that translates Seatalk into NMEA and broadcasts the NMEA data
over
Bluetooth to a PDA running standard navigation software.
Take a look at www.shipmodul.com and select MiniPlex-41BT or
MiniPlex-42BT from the Products page.

Meindert

"Flemming Torp" fletop(kanelbolle)2rp.d(anmar)k wrote in
message
. ..
Hello Bruce,

Tried to use your mailing address - no success ... sorry!

In the newsgroup aus.sport.sailing - 12-02-2005, I read with
great interest about your set up in your boat ... It is a
solution, I'm very much after.

snip
[...]

Hello Dennis - Thank you for your precision - this is exactly,
what I want. I have asked the supplier of DLSK ('free
translation: The Living Sea Map = Det levende SøKort) in Denmark,
and they confirm, that their application cannot run on a PPC.
Maptech has a program, that can run on the PPC.

So - in order not to loose one more notebook - I would accept the
small screen on my PPC, if it can control the notebook PC running
the DLSK apllication ... During periods with sunshine and easy
wind, I could use my notebook as a 'cockpit-chartplotter' ... The
reason for adressing my problem to this newsgroup was the letter
from bruce:

"being one who sails about the planet on his own, i've often had
to duck below to check my nav software whilst negotiating a
passage with the remote on the autotiller, and often get
sidetracked whilst i'm there...

until now.

what i've got running now is vnc server on the laptop with a
wireless nic and vncviewer on the wireless pda, it works like a
charm and it also means i can keep the laptop more securely
stashed away in a
drawer. there's an excellent freeware version for the pocketpc
and on the pda it is much better than mstsc."

Being an amateur within this field, I'm not sure I understand
everything of the above, but it sounds as a solution to my
problem ...

The major difference is, that I do not have all this wireless
gear, and is willing to experiment with the hardware I have -
including annoying cables - until my 'captain' accepts the
obvious long term solution ...

That leads me to a new question: Has anyone of you guys
experience with a flatscreen - placed in the cockpit - working as
the second monitor on a notebook - placed in the cabin? ... Are
you aware og a product, that can stand the 'hostile cockpit
environment' - is rather modest on the batteries, can be read in
daylight, and - at the same time - does not cost anything like
the RayMarine Monitor? I do have a wireless mouse/keyboard, and I
can accept the mouse in the cockpit ...

--
Flemming Torp
'Even the worst day sailing is better than the best day working'

Flemming Torp

"Jack Erbes" skrev i en meddelelse
Flemming Torp wrote:

snip As I do not
want to make physical changes to this set up, and as I do
have a notebook and a PPC with a GPS (a little RoyalTek RGM
2000-thing), I'm looking for a cheap solution to my
'cockpit-chartplotter-problem' ...

Since you have a PPC and a GPS receiver for it (the RGM-2000)
you might want to look at trying out a trial version of an
application like Ozi-CE (http://www.oziexplorer.com/). Ozi-CE
may be able to use the Maptech BSB charts you have now if they
are on CD-ROMs. The BSB chart files require some conversion
for use by Ozi-CE, that can be done using the trial version of
Ozi Explorer PC (Ozi-PC).

Thank you Jack for a very thorough, relevant, and solid input!

As I understand from the Maptech site, they have an application,
that can run on my PPC. Have not yet tried, as I do not have a
lot of Maptech Maps. But my Maptech maps are on paper and on a CD
(BSB-format) with the Navigator Lite program, so the
ozi-application could also be tested. I have never tried it, just
read about it. Will have to look into this.

You may also be able to use your DLSK charts if you can import
them into Ozi-PC and calibrate them for use. Once those are
converted and calibrated they can be used with either Ozi-PC or
Ozi-CE.

Another possible avenue for using the DLSK charts is that if
you can export or save bit mapped images of the chart files,
those can be imported and calibrated with Ozi-PC (and a number
of other applications that get frequent mention here).

This is exactly, what I want! But - unfortunately - this is a
'world' I've never been into ... I have been told, that the maps
in DLSK are stored in a xxx.it - format, that is not compatible
with anything else in the world ... and I'm not in a position to
challenge this statement ... I will have to study this whole
subject in more details. I will go to the library. Maybe you have
some relevant references? I do not really know what calibration -
in this context means - so I feel I'm pretty far from the target

To get the most flexibility with Ozi-CE the Ozi Explorer
developer recommends also buying Ozi-Explorer for the PC. But
you may be able to get along without buying it. I purchased
Ozi-CE to use on an iPAQ 3630 and am managing fine without
having bought Ozi-PC also. I'm using Maptech BSB charts and
USGS topo maps (both come with calibration data files) and
those can be converted for use with Ozi-CE by using the
trial version of Ozi-PC. What cannot be done with the trial
version of Ozi-PC is to import and calibrate map images or edit
a map image.

Compared to my 'long term solution' or alternatives, I do not
find the prices of the two ozi-programmes prohibitive.

A nice piece of freeware that you may want to look at that also
has
good capabilities for importing and calibrating map images is
SeaClear II (http://www.sping.com/seaclear/). The process is a
little convoluted but I have been able to create routes on
SeaClear II (using Maptech BSB charts) and upload those to my
handheld GPS (which was being used with SeaClear for NMEA
input).

Sounds as a very practical solution. I will look into this. Thank
you for the link!

I could then download the routes and waypoints from the GPS
using GPS Utility (www.gpsu.co.uk/) and then import the routes
and waypoints into Ozi-CE. Once you sort through the details of
the various file formats and the like, you'll find there are a
number of GPS utilities that data to be migrated from one
platform to another.

I may understand this, when I start working with it ...

My feeling is that the iPAQ screen size is okay for navigation
in the
sense that you just glance at it occasionally to see if you're
still on
track, in the same place you that your think you are, and are
just looking at the various details of data like course, speed,
etc.

Exactly - just as a kind of 'easy reminder' --- 'are we on the
right track'?

Route planning can be done on the iPAQ but it is much better
done on a laptop or other PC with a larger screen, a mouse,
full sized keyboard, and the other bells and whistles that make
it easier and more pleasant.

Jep, I fully agree - that's why I'm after a PPC-program, that can
'run' my notebook, on which I have entered routes and waypoints
before starting etc.

If your PPC has removable media (my iPAQ uses CF cards) you can
more easily store chart files and move data around between the
PPC and PC. I can store the Ozi-CE program and data files and
hundreds of BSB charts on a 1GB CF card.

That's a nice solution. My PPC supports MMC and SD memory cards.
I have started with 256MB, but can see, that prices on memory
cards are going in the right direction ...

My primary challenge - I understand - is to learn how to
'calibrate and convert' my DLSK-maps into a format, that ozi-CE
can read ... As the boat is still packed in ice, I may have some
time during the coming weeks to study map-calibration, different
map formats, conversion programmes etc. It's a completely new
world for me - but fascinating - and a little frightening ...

That's why I was searching for at solution, where my PPC is just
a 'screen' to my notebook, where I do know the applications will
run ...

AnywayJack: Thank you so much for your comprehensive input. It
has given me a lot of inspiration - not to mention quite a few
challenges ... but "to learn what one doesn't know - is also a
kind of wisdom" ...

--
Flemming Torp
'Even the worst day sailing is better than the best day working'

Dennis Pogson

Flemming Torp wrote:
"Jack Erbes" skrev i en meddelelse
Flemming Torp wrote:

snip As I do not
[...]

There is a lot of stuff about chartplotting on a PDA on the Oziexplorer
website under Oziexplorer CE.

I used their stuff on my Ipaq a couple of years ago, but I'm afraid the 1400
by 1050 screen on my laptop simply made the PDA look stupid, so I sold the
Ipaq!

I know your problem, but so far only a high-intensity screen in the cockpit,
connected to the laptop either wirelessly on by cable, would be
satisfactory, and as you could also use a wireless mouse (most chartplotting
is done by mouse anyway), you would have almost complete control.

These waterproof daylight screens are unbelievably expensive. The last time
I checked them out they were around $5000, so I would advise a good surf
around to see whether they have come down.

My wireless mouse is a Silver Crest, and it's a real cracker.

Dennis.
--
Satellite photocharts of the UK & Ireland
available, excellent detail and accurate
calibration using Oziexplorer.
Remove *nospam* to reply.

Flemming Torp

"Dennis Pogson" skrev i en
meddelelse ...
Flemming Torp wrote:

snip
"Jack Erbes" skrev i en meddelelse
Flemming Torp wrote:

'unsnip'

[...]

Thanks, I will start my 'study tour' in the 'ozi-world'

[...]

I agree - and right now, I'm after a short term solution, with
the hardware I have, and under al circumstances will have on the
boat anyway ... you know mail, internet surf, calender etc. And I
want to keep my notebook free from the salt water, that is hard
to avoid in the cockpit ...

As to 'daylight monitors', I can give you an example: In Denmark
the RayMarine Monitor - M 1500 - is priced at DKK 52.000,-. Five
years ago, I bought a swedish 30' sailboat - 3,5t - called Albin
Ballad - http://ballad.dk/ - with 13 sails, ready to sail for DKK
150.000,-! A monitor at one third of a half tonner boat ... ...
Today one U$ equals DKK 5,70 ... ...

Dennis.
--
Satellite photocharts of the UK & Ireland
available, excellent detail and accurate
calibration using Oziexplorer.
Remove *nospam* to reply.

Dennis, thank you for your advice!