Flemming Torp

"Dennis Pogson" skrev i en
meddelelse ...
Meindert Sprang wrote:
Hej Flemming,

Could one of our NMEA multiplexers be of any use? We have a
version
that translates Seatalk into NMEA and broadcasts the NMEA data
over
Bluetooth to a PDA running standard navigation software.
Take a look at www.shipmodul.com and select MiniPlex-41BT or
MiniPlex-42BT from the Products page.

Meindert

"Flemming Torp" fletop(kanelbolle)2rp.d(anmar)k wrote in
message
. ..
Hello Bruce,

Tried to use your mailing address - no success ... sorry!

In the newsgroup aus.sport.sailing - 12-02-2005, I read with
great interest about your set up in your boat ... It is a
solution, I'm very much after.

snip
Best regards
-- Flemming Torp
'Even the worst day sailing is better than the best day
working'

It would seem that our friend wishes to control a notebook and
it's software
located in the cabin from a PDA located in the cockpit. If I am
correct in
this assumption, I would have thought this to be impossible,
since the
notebook's functions cannot be replicated in the PDA, can they?

Laplink allows you to control one PC from another (remote) PC,
but that is
because they are both PC's and have the same architecture.

I stand corrected if this is not the case!

Dennis.
--
Satellite photocharts of the UK & Ireland
available, excellent detail and accurate

Hello Dennis - Thank you for your precision - this is exactly,
what I want. I have asked the supplier of DLSK ('free
translation: The Living Sea Map = Det levende SøKort) in Denmark,
and they confirm, that their application cannot run on a PPC.
Maptech has a program, that can run on the PPC.

So - in order not to loose one more notebook - I would accept the
small screen on my PPC, if it can control the notebook PC running
the DLSK apllication ... During periods with sunshine and easy
wind, I could use my notebook as a 'cockpit-chartplotter' ... The
reason for adressing my problem to this newsgroup was the letter
from bruce:

"being one who sails about the planet on his own, i've often had
to duck below to check my nav software whilst negotiating a
passage with the remote on the autotiller, and often get
sidetracked whilst i'm there...

until now.

what i've got running now is vnc server on the laptop with a
wireless nic and vncviewer on the wireless pda, it works like a
charm and it also means i can keep the laptop more securely
stashed away in a
drawer. there's an excellent freeware version for the pocketpc
and on the pda it is much better than mstsc."

Being an amateur within this field, I'm not sure I understand
everything of the above, but it sounds as a solution to my
problem ...

The major difference is, that I do not have all this wireless
gear, and is willing to experiment with the hardware I have -
including annoying cables - until my 'captain' accepts the
obvious long term solution ...

That leads me to a new question: Has anyone of you guys
experience with a flatscreen - placed in the cockpit - working as
the second monitor on a notebook - placed in the cabin? ... Are
you aware og a product, that can stand the 'hostile cockpit
environment' - is rather modest on the batteries, can be read in
daylight, and - at the same time - does not cost anything like
the RayMarine Monitor? I do have a wireless mouse/keyboard, and I
can accept the mouse in the cockpit ...