Flemming Torp

"Dennis Pogson" skrev i en
meddelelse ...
Flemming Torp wrote:

snip
"Jack Erbes" skrev i en meddelelse
Flemming Torp wrote:

'unsnip'

My primary challenge - I understand - is to learn how to
'calibrate and convert' my DLSK-maps into a format, that
ozi-CE
can read ... As the boat is still packed in ice, I may have
some
time during the coming weeks to study map-calibration,
different
map formats, conversion programmes etc. It's a completely new
world for me - but fascinating - and a little frightening ...

That's why I was searching for at solution, where my PPC is
just
a 'screen' to my notebook, where I do know the applications
will
run ...

AnywayJack: Thank you so much for your comprehensive input. It
has given me a lot of inspiration - not to mention quite a few
challenges ... but "to learn what one doesn't know - is also
kind of wisdom" ...

--
Flemming Torp
'Even the worst day sailing is better than the best day

There is a lot of stuff about chartplotting on a PDA on the
Oziexplorer
website under Oziexplorer CE.

Thanks, I will start my 'study tour' in the 'ozi-world'

I used their stuff on my Ipaq a couple of years ago, but I'm
afraid the 1400
by 1050 screen on my laptop simply made the PDA look stupid, so
I sold the
Ipaq!

I know your problem, but so far only a high-intensity screen in
the cockpit,
connected to the laptop either wirelessly on by cable, would be
satisfactory, and as you could also use a wireless mouse (most
chartplotting
is done by mouse anyway), you would have almost complete
control.

These waterproof daylight screens are unbelievably expensive.
The last time
I checked them out they were around $5000, so I would advise a
good surf
around to see whether they have come down.

My wireless mouse is a Silver Crest, and it's a real cracker.

I agree - and right now, I'm after a short term solution, with
the hardware I have, and under al circumstances will have on the
boat anyway ... you know mail, internet surf, calender etc. And I
want to keep my notebook free from the salt water, that is hard
to avoid in the cockpit ...

As to 'daylight monitors', I can give you an example: In Denmark
the RayMarine Monitor - M 1500 - is priced at DKK 52.000,-. Five
years ago, I bought a swedish 30' sailboat - 3,5t - called Albin
Ballad - http://ballad.dk/ - with 13 sails, ready to sail for DKK
150.000,-! A monitor at one third of a half tonner boat ... ...
Today one U$ equals DKK 5,70 ... ...

Dennis.
--
Satellite photocharts of the UK & Ireland
available, excellent detail and accurate

Dennis, thank you for your advice!