Flemming Torp

How nice to get an advice that is constructive, empathic and well
written. You are suggesting a solution that is 'within reach' .
Do I understand you correctly when you are talking about USB,
that I can actually use the cable between the cradle in which the
PPC is placed when running MS ActivSync to the PC?

Some of my sons will be 'home' during the Easter Holidays - and I
do hope they will be able to help me out here. Thank you for
your: "don't give up" and your specific hint!

As to the practical experience: How is it working on the boat? Is
the screen large enough - bright enough - do you get useful help
from this little screen or is it more or less useless. In my
opinion - even the 7" chartplotters are somewhat difficult to use
.... zoom in/zoom out ... I'm not convinced this is the way to go
(the 'PPC-way'), but I'm interested in learning from other
sailors experience - what's what we call a search/learning
proces. To be honest I'm still pretty happy with the paper charts
and a compass, and GPS ...

But with four boys pushing for evolution and eager to play with
new tecnologies, I try - somewhat reluctantly - to move into the
new 'world' of IT and electronics ... with yours and other
fellows help - thank you.

--
Flemming Torp
'Even the worst day sailing is better than the best day working'

"Goofball_star_dot_etal" skrev i en
meddelelse ...
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 04:27:59 +0100, "Flemming Torp"
fletop(kanelbolle)2rp.d(anmar)k wrote:

Thank you for your input.

Being more of a sailor, than a network or IT expert, the reason
for me raising the question in this group was a letter from a
fellow called Bruce - Feb.12th - that gave an short resumé of
his
solution, and I liked it, and tried to 'call' him for some more
details - you know: From sailor to sailor - obviously. and
unfortunately without a positive result.

It is my experience that it is often much easier to follow or
join a conversation/discussion about exchange of ideas, and
some
ones experience with specific solutions, when the participants
'are at the same footings', and share the same interests. Me
talking to a very bright computer/network expert is not always
very giving, as he or she does not understand, what I do not
understand. And the result is ... ... well, not very useful -
one
could say ...

But I got your message. Thank you.

Don't give up yet. It works over USB. I suggest you get the
software
and try it. I have the URLs somwhere if you need them. You need
connect to the IP address your PC uses for USB. I could not
find this
from the PC or the PPC directly but using vxIPConfig on the PPC
it
gave the PPC IP address as 192.168.55.100 and the default
gateway as
192.168.55.100. I called 192.168.55.100 with the wifi switched
off on
both the PC and PPC and it worked. The IP address may well be
the
same for you or perhaps not. . .

It is quite slow on the PPC when the PC screen is changing and
this
locks up the scroll bars until it catches up. It works quicker
if you
can reduce the size of the map on the PC to match the PPC
screen. It
also seem quicker with vector charts, probably because they
have less
detail to update.